collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Kotobukiya statues!  (Read 16833 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Kotobukiya statues!
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2018, 11:10:33 AM »
I wish the Integrity M6 would have been not as limited because they were about the same price + they were dolls which is always a plus for me.

Someone please tell me where to get these knockoffs somebody mentioned  :biggrin:
Not exactly aimed at you, but this sort of thing always rubs me the wrong way. Here is a company who is amazing at sculpting, and has a reputation for higher quality anime figures... and then people just want a cheap version. Which then in the end hurts the company.

I'm sure there will be enough fakes on ebay from China. :/

You definitely aimed that at me. You just said "people" instead of "you". But that's ok.

I don't really care if I support a bootleg from a company like Kotobukiya, Hasbro, Mattel etc. I'm honest about that. It's not the same for me as buying Aliexpress mugs and shirts with stolen artwork from freelance artists or such.

Also, I actually hate some of Kotobukiya's figures.
So I have no company attachment, either.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2018, 11:41:53 AM »
Just editing my post.

I'm sorry you thought my comment was about you. My comment was spurred by your statement. It's more about my frustration from earlier today on ebay (which I think is off topic for the thread). It wasn't about you. Please don't tell me otherwise. :( As I said, I'm sure there will be fakes on ebay. 

I will say, as someone who works with freelance artists... the artists who work for corporations and who freelance for corporations do deserve their share of money too.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 12:51:15 PM by banditpony »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2018, 03:59:31 PM »
I have such mixed feelings about these. Like, they’re undeniably beautifully sculpted and detailed, but at the same time they’re just not that exciting to me. To be fair im not much of a fan of human ponies I guess. I kinda wish the figure had the more pinkish skin tone the concept art had

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2018, 02:27:26 AM »
I will say, as someone who works with freelance artists... the artists who work for corporations and who freelance for corporations do deserve their share of money too.

China shops have stolen my personal art multiple times, which hurt my pocket.
I have been also a freelancer myself, registered and all and paying taxes, working with local companies (funny enough they often ask you to copy someone elses work within the limits of copyright).
So I know that artists don't get paid per sold item, they only get paid once. And the company keeps our artwork and the copyrights.

Someone stealing my private art makes me lose money, someone bootlegging off of the company doesn't hurt me because I don't own the rights to my work anymore.
Finally, bootleggers have families to feed, too. A lot of bootleggers are factory workers who don't care what they produce as long as it results in pay.

I'm sorry that bootleg talk annoys you, but not all of us can or want to pay full price for a luxury item (MLP are luxury items as well). And it's not forbidden per the Arena rules to talk about fakies. I see people here have no issue with MLP bootlegs :shrug:

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2018, 05:45:22 AM »
I'm sorry that bootleg talk annoys you, but not all of us can or want to pay full price for a luxury item (MLP are luxury items as well). And it's not forbidden per the Arena rules to talk about fakies. I see people here have no issue with MLP bootlegs :shrug:
No it isn't. But I'm allowed to talk about how it makes me feel.

I'm mostly replying to make a correction to your statement.
Some artists get paid per job. Some artists gets royalties. Some artists get paid a contract per year. Some artists sign off rights in perpetuity. Some license every so x amount of years. And beyond time, there is also product categories and territories. Depends on the job.

I want companies to make money to support it's employees. Especially when it's a smaller company (Kotobukiya has only 200 people). But also big ones. I don't like your art being stolen no matter who owns the rights. We don't see eye to eye on it. That's fine.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 04:00:15 AM by banditpony »

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2018, 09:50:28 PM »
I hope that they will make the others eventually.
Someone please tell me where to get these knockoffs somebody mentioned  :biggrin:
:cloud: I'm sure you realize these 2 statements don't go well together. I don't know if there is anything I can say to discourage you, or anyone else, from buying bootlegs but would like to say there is a reason these figures take so long in production and cost what they do. Every Kotobukiya figure I've owned and seen in the past was really nice! I really love seeing cool collectibles like this and hope that us fans will support Kotobukiya.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 09:59:32 PM by Flitter »

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2018, 09:16:24 AM »
Way too expensive for me, and eh the art does not appeal to me at all.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2018, 10:26:56 AM »
:cloud: I'm sure you realize these 2 statements don't go well together. I don't know if there is anything I can say to discourage you, or anyone else, from buying bootlegs but would like to say there is a reason these figures take so long in production and cost what they do. Every Kotobukiya figure I've owned and seen in the past was really nice! I really love seeing cool collectibles like this and hope that us fans will support Kotobukiya.

Why try to convince anyone at all? If they want a knock-off or a bootleg its none of anyone's nevermind.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Flitter

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2018, 10:11:41 PM »

Why try to convince anyone at all? If they want a knock-off or a bootleg its none of anyone's nevermind.
:what: I would like to see more characters made. Recasting someone else's product and profiting off it is sleazy and if collectors/fans choose the fake over the legitimate item it hurts the chance getting more of that type of item.

Offline Eighties_Otaku

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Custom Bait Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2018, 11:15:46 PM »
I'm also a figure collector so I'm excited to see these. I used to make anime humans of the ponies 15 years ago lol. Kotobukiya is a good company that does great quality. This is actually priced on the lower end of a good quality scale figure. Some sites sell for cheaper too and sometimes figures go on sale. Or you can even look at getting this second hand in the future, the gamble is sometimes they go up in price.

On bootlegs, they are a horrible creation that look cheap and disgusting. The quality on them is pretty gross and any collector wouldn't want that.  It;s a true waste of money unless you want to customize them or something.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2018, 06:40:38 AM »
:cloud: I'm sure you realize these 2 statements don't go well together.

Why not?
I have an interest in the character designs and for the fans I hope they make the full set. I have no ill will towards you.

BUT as I am not a fan myself I cheekily asked to see where bootlegs can be found. Because I have no personal investment apart from seeing the figures.

I hope all of you will be able to buy each and every one of those figures. Just stop assuming I am a Kotobukiyah fan. I already said it here before, I even dislike some of their products.

I want companies to make money to support it's employees.

Good. But like I said, bootleggers are workers, too.

There is no shame in admitting you want EqG figures by your fave company. Just don't turn it into a moral guilt trip.

The reason we don't see eye to eye on this is because you implied that people who have an interest in fakies have no interest in supporting  artists... then it turned into designers with royalty contracts... now it's all employees.

I save money to buy OOAK artwork and handmade clothing. I directly support products whose creators receive 100% of the proceedings.
A company of 200 is already huge to me. Why do these people deserve my money more than artist XY who I personally know needs to pay her rent this month.
And if I buy a bootleg I support a worker, too.
See what I mean?

Did you ever buy MLP items from H&M or Primark? I hope you know about what the fast fashion industry is doing to people.
And the toy industry in general. Plastic is destroying our planet.
Moralizing about luxury items becomes impossible at a certain point.

I'll wait for the Rarity design reveal now ;)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2018, 06:46:56 AM »
The reason we don't see eye to eye on this is because you implied that people who have an interest in fakies have no interest in supporting  artists... then it turned into designers with royalty contracts... now it's all employees.

Huh? I feel like you misunderstood what I said. I was not trying to imply that. I'd explain my replies but I'm not trying to argue. I can't speak for anyone but myself!

What I said about CONTRACTS, was to make sure other's don't believe that when freelance artists do artwork they always sign all rights away. It's off topic and wasn't necessarily related to bootlegs... nor the topic of this thread.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 07:49:11 AM by banditpony »

Offline Flitter

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2019, 06:43:29 PM »

Pre-orders for Twilight start 14 Feb. according to EQD (but I don't see a source for that).

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2019, 07:24:08 PM »
They may get me to bite with that Rainbow Dash humanization, but I'm pretty underwhelmed by the rest of them. Why is Applejack wearing a skirt. I don't know why I love RD's hair in a ponytail but that part's great.
That Twilight pony looks DARLING though I'd love to have her released separately.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2019, 08:30:19 PM »
Great to see images for Rarity, Rainbow, and Applejack! Anything on when Twi's estimated to be released? I'll preorder her as soon as it's up but it'd be nice to know when I'll have to actually make sure to have the money for her in my checking account, haha.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal