collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Would it be safe to keep my ponies in the laundry room?  (Read 2686 times)

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
Would it be safe to keep my ponies in the laundry room?
« on: February 08, 2020, 03:44:25 PM »
Getting my ponies back (AGAIN! Seems like they're in and out of storage like every few years, they were staying at my mother's in Kentucky while I moved back to Idaho, came and got them again) and I know I probably shouldn't keep them in the laundry room because of moisture, however that's reaaally the only place I can keep them at the moment.
It has this vent thing RIGHT next to the washing machine/dryer/water heater that sucks up all the air and blows it outside, but it's also a very old house so it has a concrete floor with a hole in it, in front of the washer, that goes down to a pipe for drainage if the washer leaks. Sometimes soap bubbles come up from it when the washer is running, but that's about it. Once the piping behind the washer leaked, but we got it fixed. There's also a freezer down there but I don't know how much that one matters.

It's a huge room so I can put them pretty far away from the water heater/washing machine/stupid hole in the floor (I hate that stupid thing SO much and trip over it constantly but that's another can of worms) but it still makes me really nervous, I'd be devastated if all of them got ruined, there's like 200+ ponies.

The room never feels muggy or moisturous to me, it's in the basement and the vent seems to do a fairly good job at siphoning out all the moisture, there's no mold in the room or anything.

Still, is this a really bad idea? I've been wracking my brain trying to think of ANYWHERE else to put them but there's really nowhere better. This would be temporary anyway as we're moving out next year.

What if I got like, shelves that have closing glass doors and put moisture absorbing packets in there?

Thank you for any and all advice!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 03:52:13 PM by Esbayne »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline caseysealia

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Would it be safe to keep my ponies in the laundry room?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 06:49:54 PM »
Mine is by my kitchen, and is finished like the rest of the house (and upstairs) so maybe its a bit different for me but I have a couple in mine right now, and have had them in there in the past so I'd assume it'd be fine? Its something I'm curious about as well.

My room is in the basement, (its finished, mostly) so I have parts of my collection down there, and part of it is similar to how yours sounds, so far other than baits they've been fine, I'd say put a dehumidifier down there it'd be fine
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 06:54:26 PM by caseysealia »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 07:14:00 PM »
You could just get a dehumidifier-- then you wouldn't have to worry about the humidity level. My basement is the *only* room that I really know the humidity levels on.

My dehumidifier is just hooked up to drain into my sump pit. It's so nice because I don't really have to do anything with it.

You should be able to drain it into the hole into your floor if it's for drainage stuff... They also make some that you can manually remove too if you couldn't do that.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 07:16:22 PM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 07:15:37 AM »
I was going to say the same thing just get a dehumidifier. They also make humidity gauges which I highly recommend
https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-TP49-Hygrometer-Thermometer-Temperature/dp/B07WCR5Y4B/

I have one next to my collection and I find even being in living room it can get too humid for the safety of my collection. I have a dehumidifier next to my collection as well. I try to keep it around 45% humidity or less but ideally for preservation it'd be like 30%
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 07:19:32 AM by SaraMari »

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Esbayne

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 11:50:19 AM »
A dehumidifier and humidity gauge are great ideas!!

Thank you all! :lovey:

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 01:47:37 PM »
I was going to say the same thing just get a dehumidifier. They also make humidity gauges which I highly recommend
https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-TP49-Hygrometer-Thermometer-Temperature/dp/B07WCR5Y4B/

I have one next to my collection and I find even being in living room it can get too humid for the safety of my collection. I have a dehumidifier next to my collection as well. I try to keep it around 45% humidity or less but ideally for preservation it'd be like 30%

45% is actually pretty decent.

Just a note to others, you don't want humidity too low if you have customs with paint jobs because low humidity will potentially damage those.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal