collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Filiberto and Guendalina, Isidoro and Isabella.  (Read 492 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Filiberto and Guendalina, Isidoro and Isabella.
« on: February 14, 2018, 10:55:26 AM »
Going through ponies today, and this amused me:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Apparently in Italy, Nibbles and Dibbles are Filiberto and Guendalena, while Sniffles and Snookums are Isidoro and Isabella. Most interesting, one boy twin and one girl twin in each set. Especially interesting, in the unicorn set, the boy seems to be Snookums, whereas in the UK Sniffles is the boy...having trouble getting my head around him as Isabella...?

Also trying to imagine a poor Italian kid in 1987 trying to add these to their christmas list, especially Guendalena. That's not an easy name to spell.

I remember having enough trouble spelling Masquerade ;)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 02:18:42 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Filiberto and Guendalina, Isidoro and Isabella.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 01:55:04 PM »
This is interesting.
Why do they have normal human names? Do all Italy ponies have human names? I've even met someone named Isabella. (Thankfully never met anyone named Dibbles!) Guendalena is Gwendolyn probably. Isidoro is old fashion (ex. grandparent style name) but they're don't seem to be "word names" that make sense like (it seems like) other countries gave the ponies. For instance they could have had "piccolo" or something which is 'little', or Luppolo or something for 'hop' or whatever else cute words.

But, if they're naming the boy Isabella, then maybe they're not paying attention to anything at all and simply put the first names that came to mind, instead of coming up with something pony appropriate.  Still, quite an interesting find on this box back & thank you for posting it!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 02:58:34 PM »
I know that some do. I've got an advert which lists several of them with humanish names. I'd never noticed before that that was the names for these guys until the other day though.

On the subject of newborn twin names, there are some cute German ones for some of the second set. Flocki and Locki and Dicki and Gicki spring to mind. I think the other two were Wapp and Wopp but maybe someone in Germany/Austria/Switzerland can correct me?

I mean, some of the ENglish names are pretty weird too...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 12:04:56 AM »
I came across a list of Italian pony names on Strawberry Reef, and Bubbles was named "Ben."  :P  Bow Tie was Timmy! Not a fan of ponies having "human-ish" names myself, but at least it keeps it interesting??

I think a lot of Italian ponies were boys (who were girls elsewhere).  And IIRC, the baby ponies were nieces/nephews of the adults, not children.

Like in this comic:

http://heckyeahponyscans.tumblr.com/post/146180383278

Baby Posey . . . exists . . . and is a boy (he's referred to as a nephew) and is calling Posey "uncle".  So they are both boys.   Posey is also named Penelope and is wearing a lady's hat.

I'm genuinely enjoying the gender-fluidity here.  Male Posey will wear a lady's hat if he wants to!  Male Posey don't care!

Edit:  If anyone wants to post the comic in the thread that's fine by me, I simply can't at the moment because my mouse is dead, no right-click function.

Sky Flier is also Filiberto in one of the "comic strip" style comics, although Strawberry Reef lists his/her Italian name as Eva.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 12:12:00 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 01:09:57 AM »
Darn, I love non-English pony names. I think one of my favourites is Greek Cotton Candy being called Rozalyn. It's just such a pretty name.

Does anyone know what Dibbles and Nibbles were called in Mexico/other Spanish-speaking places? I've been trying to find out for a while.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 02:54:03 AM »
SO much love for that Posey comic xDD

For me the thing with Isidoro and Isabella is that there's so much gender switching with this pair. I think in the US Sniffles and Snookums are both girls...and here in the UK Sniffles is a boy and Snookums is a girl...and in Italy Snookums is a boy and Sniffles is a girl? And growing up with Sniffles as the typical rambunctious stereotypical little boy whose sister always kept him in order by making him sneeze...the idea of calling him Isabella is just so hilarious to me xD.

I have no idea about the Spanish names for these twins but I'd love to know. I do know some french ones for some of the twins but I have lost the image. THose are 2nd set ones though.

I also love non-English names. Staying on the twin theme but moving into G2, I remember seeing and getting many of our G2 from France and some of them I genuinely know the French name better than the English. THis is my favourite...

Not my picture, borrowed from Arzhela's page, but it illustrates it perfectly.

Vive la Vie and Vive le Vent. So cute to say xD.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline aquamarinemolly

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ig @aquamarinemolly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 07:30:07 AM »
These are so cute!  :cool: Thank you for sharing. I bet the comics have some awesome variations too, but I'm no expert.
ISO princess ribbons, vintage pony pins, and UK variant Glow in The Dark mane Princess Sapphire

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 03:45:10 AM »
Uk comics follow UK names used by Hasbro on release but we only had 5 sets of twins. Nibbles and Dibbles and Sniffles and Snookums are the same as US. Second set are all different names though only 3 sets of twins - Tickles and Giggles (Jebber and Jabber), Fluffy & Fleecy (Speckles & Bunkie) and Tuggles & Toddles (Sticky and Sniffles).
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+202)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 05:42:17 AM »
Oh cool :D I do remember that Tootsie is called Slurpino in Italian :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal