collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: UK PonyCon?  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Colorswirl Pony
Re: UK PonyCon?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2018, 12:16:16 PM »
Nottingham it is :) For me its better and cheaper to go to Birmingham and then a train.

Offline mopthebunny

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Oooh, who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2018, 03:16:43 PM »
Nottingham?! Yes! That's my city haha I can't believe it's so close to me! I'll definitely be there!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature by LordBlumiere

Offline Archer

• *MLP Convention Staff*
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • http://www.geocities.com/manga_mayhem/index.html
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2018, 05:49:04 PM »
I'll be there :) Not too far from me :)

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+184)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • My personal site
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2018, 06:04:27 PM »
Ponycon always has an airport link of some kind, but it's also worth finding out which UK airports flights from your destination go into as well. Most airports serve Europe but not all serve further afield.

Schiphol Airport has tons of Euro routes, so usually the Dutchies are fine :) Nottingham it is! :D

G2 Backcards wanted! |||| Looking for 35th Anniversary Minty!
|||Deviantart|||Website||| Commissions|||Sales|||Wantlist|||G2 Website|||

Offline drusilla

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Got to love ponies
    • http://www.undead455.com
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2018, 07:27:15 PM »
hmmmm far from heathrow but i do see smaller airports around....

well im pulling up maps left and right here LOL trying to figure it out but  it is not looking to good

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+55)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2018, 09:20:04 PM »

well im pulling up maps left and right here LOL trying to figure it out but  it is not looking to good

Drusilla, if you are coming into Heathrow, then your best options are to get either the Heathrow Express or the London Underground (Piccadilly Line - dark blue on the rail map but it is the only underground station serving Heathrow so you can't get the wrong line by mistake!) into Central London. The Heathrow Express goes to Paddington which is a bit more inconvenient. The Piccadilly Line stops at King's Cross St Pancras Station. You can get a direct train from there to Nottingham (from St Pancras, it's the big station in Harry Potter that they pretend is King's Cross, and you really can't miss it xD).

The Heathrow Express is more expensive but probably a bit less manic than the London underground which takes longer. However, if you went to Paddington you would need to get either a taxi (very expensive in London, don't recommend) or a bus (number 205 does the trip) from Paddington to King's Cross and that adds more complications to the journey. The London Underground Piccadilly line would take you direct from the Airport to King's Cross and St Pancras Stations which are right next door to each other.

I would maybe suggest staying a night around King's Cross St Pancras area (there are many hotels around here) and then travelling to Nottingham the next day if you can afford it. You could also stay around Heathrow (there are a lot of hotels and a shuttle bus in nearby Hounslow) or Paddington but Paddington is a bit more rough as an area and I wouldn't recommend it particularly if you don't know the city.

I don't know if you are planning to do any other sightseeing if you come to Ponycon but it is easy to get to Nottingham from London by train. Better than trying to work out transfers to one of the regional airports.

Hopefully some of that is helpful to you. :)

For me, Nottingham is near where my uncle lives, but I am not going to impose on him xD. I can get there from home or from London, wherever I am next October. Birmingham would have been better but Nottingham is doable. I will probably try to stay over, though, as it's a bit further from home than I'd like to do in a day, twice.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 09:23:45 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2018, 09:23:34 PM »
I'm pretty excited about the location announcement. I know next to nothing about traveling in England & what airports to choose, but since a good friend lives in Nottingham I had already looked into flight options there.  ^.^

I'm not sure if this will finally be the year I get to go, but I'm very hopeful! Last year the tickets sold out before I got my passport sorted out, but now I have a passport so one big obstacle has been crossed off the list. Next big step is to start saving some money for the trip. :crosses fingers:

Online Taffeta

• Spain Piggy Pony
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2018, 09:49:21 PM »
I hope you guys get to come! We always have a good contingent from Europe which is great, and it would be nice to have some more people from further afield. There are usually one or two (Whitney is always there xD) but it would be nice to have some more :D

As for getting to Nottingham, Britain is a really small country compared with the US and Canada anyway, so getting anywhere is easier. It is possible to fly domestically around the UK but I wouldn't recommend trying to do it. It's easier to land in London and get a train. There is a good frequency of service from St Pancras. I remember this because a couple of years back when the Con was in Leicester I caught the Nottingham train to get there :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline drusilla

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Got to love ponies
    • http://www.undead455.com
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2018, 11:52:00 AM »
i have always wanted to go and last year would have been a lot easier but the timing didn't work out for planning.

this time is not looking so good ether, i could fly to heathro no problem for about 800 direct and return which is a good price, but then it is ether a 4 hour plus bus ride for very cheep or a 2 hour plus train ride that would add on another 200 dollars...
the other option is to fly from montreal to east midlands and have a massive lay over of up to a day in brussels or france and the plane ticket would cost almost 1100.
or... montreal to dublin then buy another plane ticket for dublin to east midlands, but again the layovers are horiible and the extra cost is to high...

im not thrilled about loosing nearly 3 days on travel when im not going for that long and not interested in being the typical "tourist" and spending up to 1200 on the plane ticket alone is not great ether.....

well i will keep looking to see if there are other options or if better layovers etc open up but it is not looking promising

plus if and when i attend this con i want to go full out.... i want to have a stall, i want to do the vip ticket etc...
i do hope to make it one year

Online Taffeta

• Spain Piggy Pony
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2018, 12:13:36 PM »
Train ride should not be that expensive from London to Nottingham. Are you maybe looking at peak time? There are options which are cheaper known as off peak or super off peak. Although I assume you are talking canadian $ which I admit I am not as familiar with as $US so I may be misconverting.

You can also get good deals on advance tickets if you know which specific train you want.

Are there any flights from your part of Canada which go into Birmingham International Airport? I have a vague memory of Birmingham talking about setting up flights to/from Canada some years back. Birmingham is about an hour and a half maybe from Nottingham at most and the train options wouldn't be express so would be cheaper.

I did a quick search and it looks like Montreal to Birmingham with one stop over is possible, but you'd need to look at the details as you know more about the Canadian end than I do.

Edit to add - there are flights from Canada to Birmingham International (BHX), but you'd have to look at whether you can get a connecting flight in from your location and how easy that would be. It's an option, though...?

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 12:19:05 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2018, 12:29:35 PM »
I hope they do one in East  Angila. As it would be closer to where I live.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Who wants to changed this sig into ponies?

Offline cookifaa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • My real pony is jealous of my vinyl ponies.
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2018, 09:02:33 PM »

I'm probably not much help, but if you could somehow get a flight into Robin Hood Airport in Doncaster or somewhere around that location and then a train to Nottingham, it is a lot cheaper than going via Heathrow.

I'm going to be in Bulgaria the week before and I actually come home on the Friday. We normally fly into heathrow (I don't know why when Robin Hood is literally 20 minutes away) but this time my dad has gone via RHA and its worked out a lot cheaper than normal.

Offline cookifaa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • My real pony is jealous of my vinyl ponies.
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2018, 06:59:29 PM »
Did anyone get tickets? I just managed to get two vip upgrades before they sold out :lol:

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2018, 08:11:35 AM »
I got mine. :) Mind you, I just needed a standard Saturday day ticket, which I didn't expect to sell out quickly.

Many thanks to Moonbreeze for my signature!

Online Taffeta

• Spain Piggy Pony
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2018, 08:30:49 AM »
I have mine too. I never get a vip ticket as there isn't ever anything in it that appeals enough for the extra cost. Early entry also doesn't matter to me especially if my sister comes again as she will only manage one day anyway. Mad how quickly vip tickets sold out though...

Midlands locations and central locations are definitely best...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|