collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Interesting Rescue at Midnight Castle summary from the View Master Reels  (Read 3663 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Hi,

I was looking on Ebay and found a set of MOC MLP Viewmaster Reels from Rescue at Midnight Castle and one of the pictures included a summary of the Rescue at Midnight Castle plot. I thought it was interesting as it's a little different from the original VHS tape release and Firefly's adventure tape.

From the back of the package:

Dark shadows descended over a happy day in Ponyland.  A spiadon raid captured two little ponies. At Midnight Castle the spiadon leader Scopan presented the captives to evil tyrant Tirek who demanded two more ponies to pull his chariot.

In the meantime Firefly flew to earth to get the help of a little girl who loved ponies. Megan wasn't sure she was brave enough, but with the friendly Sea Ponies Megan and her new friends went to Mushroom Land.  There Mr. Moochick gave them a magic charm, the Rainbow of Light.

Back in the castle Tirek was unhappy with the second spiadon raid. They'd captured ponies that were too small to pull his chariot as he spread Darkness over the world. Tirek threw Spike, the baby dragon in to prison as a hostage. Scorpan could stand no more evil- he released Spike and the captured ponies just as Megan entered the castle. 

Tirek flew out of the castle with the power of Darkness. High above the towers, Scorpan tried to stop him but fell to the castle below. Megan on Fiefly soared to mighty chariot. Firefly snatched the Rainbow of Darkness but it was knocked to the castle floor where a mighty battle began between the Rainbows of Darkness and Light. The Rainbow of Light destroyed the Darkness and it's owner Tirek. Back home Megan and the ponies discover that Scorpan had been under a spell. Now he's a prince-happy in Ponyland. 

I wonder if whoever wrote this had an early script or an unfinished one to work from I've never heard of Mushroom Land before.  :lol: and I think it's interesting that it says Scorpan freed the kidnapped ponies and there's no mention of the captured ponies being turned in to dragons. Also I thought the dragons that captures the ponies are Stratadons, not spiadons?

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Rescue at Midnight Castle summary from the View Master Reels
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 10:09:39 AM »
That's very amusing! I wonder if many summaries on other  Viewmaster reels were as inaccurate. I didn't know there were MLP reels. I want them now! I wanna look at ponies in 3D.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 07:23:29 PM »
Mushroom Land? Sounds trippy.

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 08:16:27 PM »
Hi,

I was looking on Ebay and found a set of MOC MLP Viewmaster Reels from Rescue at Midnight Castle and one of the pictures included a summary of the Rescue at Midnight Castle plot. I thought it was interesting as it's a little different from the original VHS tape release and Firefly's adventure tape.

From the back of the package:

Dark shadows descended over a happy day in Ponyland.  A spiadon raid captured two little ponies. At Midnight Castle the spiadon leader Scopan presented the captives to evil tyrant Tirek who demanded two more ponies to pull his chariot.

In the meantime Firefly flew to earth to get the help of a little girl who loved ponies. Megan wasn't sure she was brave enough, but with the friendly Sea Ponies Megan and her new friends went to Mushroom Land.  There Mr. Moochick gave them a magic charm, the Rainbow of Light.

Back in the castle Tirek was unhappy with the second spiadon raid. They'd captured ponies that were too small to pull his chariot as he spread Darkness over the world. Tirek threw Spike, the baby dragon in to prison as a hostage. Scorpan could stand no more evil- he released Spike and the captured ponies just as Megan entered the castle. 

Tirek flew out of the castle with the power of Darkness. High above the towers, Scorpan tried to stop him but fell to the castle below. Megan on Fiefly soared to mighty chariot. Firefly snatched the Rainbow of Darkness but it was knocked to the castle floor where a mighty battle began between the Rainbows of Darkness and Light. The Rainbow of Light destroyed the Darkness and it's owner Tirek. Back home Megan and the ponies discover that Scorpan had been under a spell. Now he's a prince-happy in Ponyland. 

I wonder if whoever wrote this had an early script or an unfinished one to work from I've never heard of Mushroom Land before.  :lol: and I think it's interesting that it says Scorpan freed the kidnapped ponies and there's no mention of the captured ponies being turned in to dragons. Also I thought the dragons that captures the ponies are Stratadons, not spiadons?

Ponyfan

It's been like a year or so since I've watched it, but I thought they were called Striadons.

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 09:05:06 PM »
I agree. I recall the ponies referring to the large lizard creatures at the beginning as stratadons or something similar. Not spiadons. This is quite comical though. G1 seems to have many errors on its products, so I wouldn’t be too surprised if there were more like this.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 08:33:32 AM »
It might be a difference between press release/original scripts and summary and the final product. I have seen some of the scripts for Jem and there are some vast differences in what is ultimately toyline production (eg one character's instrument changes) so it really seems possible things were changed late on and the reels never had the information to update.

Although they might just have summarised it themselves. I like Mushroom land. I feel like there's a song it belongs in, probably from the 1970s...xD
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 09:10:36 AM »
I wonder if the View Master people were even given a script?  They might just have been handed a film reel and been told "So anyway, watch this and make slides", lol.

Like, I could totally see some fifty year old guy watching through RaMC exactly once and writing down "Mushroom Land" because he didn't catch that the Moochick's place was called the Mushromp.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 09:10:54 AM »

Remember what the ponies said, feed your heeeeaaad!!!
(Couldn't resist)
:drunk:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 09:18:51 AM »

(Couldn't resist)

Do you ever just lie in the grass and think about, like, if your hooves had fingers?
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline aquamarinemolly

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ig @aquamarinemolly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 09:46:12 AM »
 :lol:

Man, now I'm *really* in the mood to unwind tonight and rewatch this film...
ISO princess ribbons, vintage pony pins, and UK variant Glow in The Dark mane Princess Sapphire

Offline Shatyr

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 11:14:46 AM »

(Couldn't resist)

Do you ever just lie in the grass and think about, like, if your hooves had fingers?

But... aren't hooves already fingers?

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 03:26:19 PM »
I just checked the View Master reels. Some of them have the same captions as the back of the package and the Stratadons are called spiadons on the reels.  There’s no mention of Mushroom Land though or a 4th pony being captured and turned in to a sragin. Instead there’s a scene where Tirek asks Megan and friends how they got  in the castle and a scene of Scorpan Megan and Firefly running away from Tirek.

Edit: Here's a pic of the reels.

I think everyone's theories are possible. :) Anyone want to write a song about Mushroom Land?  :lol:

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 04:21:26 PM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline aquamarinemolly

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ig @aquamarinemolly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 09:13:54 PM »
Wow, looking at these photos now I can vividly remember my red plastic Viewmaster.
ISO princess ribbons, vintage pony pins, and UK variant Glow in The Dark mane Princess Sapphire

Offline starstrider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 04:28:16 AM »
"Mushroom Land" ::snorts::

I remember the ponies calling the Moochick's home "the Mushromp".  It's unclear if that's just the name of his house or if it's the name of the region of land where it's built. 

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 08:12:51 AM »
hehehe, "Mushroom Land".

My money's on "they wrote this synopsis off memory", personally. The fact that they spelt Tirac's name as "Tirek" stands out to me - we know the official spelling is "Tirac" so if they were going off a script or somesuch they'd probably have used the official spelling, right? (And I'm not sure where "Spiadon" came from, either XD)

It is very interesting, though :> Thanks for sharing!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal