collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Are there any cheap NIB/MOC g1 or g2 ponies?  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any cheap NIB/MOC g1 or g2 ponies?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 08:07:33 PM »
Yall keep suggesting the same thing, which I've said is a doable compromise. XD

Also, opening a modern toy isn't the same.

So would it be a good idea to get that NIP Greek ponywear now rather than later?
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline PrincessNikki

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • dressed like a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2018, 09:08:37 PM »
I get what you mean. I wish I could go back in time and re-live de-boxing a G1. For some reason I remember being in Toys R Us and having my parents buyingthem for me, and I remember receiving them as a present but I don't remember opening the actual box.

I don't know if I would be able to open a MOC/MIB G1 because I think the packaging is fantastic. Hell, I can't even bring myself to open the 35th anniversary Blue Belle I just got from Target.

But I understand the want and the magical moment that you open it and it is yours and the smell of the plastic and the shiny-ness of the hair. It is your money and if you want to buy it and unbox it, then I think that is fine, too. I don't think it is bad or wrong to do so.

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 09:40:29 PM »
Yes, you understand!

I guess I just wish they weren't so rare. At least I got to see my sister open a G2, back during early G3.

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 11:28:14 PM »
I think people are suggesting the same thing over and over because your not getting how big a deal it is to the community not to decard a G1.

All of us would love that feeling of opening a G1 and reliving our childhood but in the end decide it's not worth it to permanently destroy a piece of pony history. These items are limited and once it's done it can't be undone. Like others have said, no one can tell you what to do with your own possessions but this is a very sensitive subject.

Offline Vintageg2

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Love G2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 12:06:09 AM »
I have quite a few boxed G2 ponies or mocs from which the card had come loose from the plastic. So I would suggest to search for a boxed pony who already has been taken out once.. I actually know where to buy one, boxed sweetberry for €15, she looks moc. But that is in the Netherlands. Anyway, good luck searching :)

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 01:51:43 AM »
*FLAIL*
First Mods warning. These threads NEVER end well!

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 05:06:26 AM »
I think people are suggesting the same thing over and over because your not getting how big a deal it is to the community not to decard a G1.

All of us would love that feeling of opening a G1 and reliving our childhood but in the end decide it's not worth it to permanently destroy a piece of pony history. These items are limited and once it's done it can't be undone. Like others have said, no one can tell you what to do with your own possessions but this is a very sensitive subject.

This.

It's not about the price either, not especially.

I already tried to put it into context about people and their individual grails and that destroying a MIP pony might be the same as someone destroying your most precious pony possession.

Reality is that nobody has the right to tell you or anyone else what to do with something you've bought yourself. And in the past it was not as frowned on as it is now. We've learned for the most part that decarding actually has a hugely detrimental effect on the community and each other. Ponies that were cheap MOC in the past and were frequently decarded as a result now cost a lot more. The obvious US example is the watercolour baby sea ponies.

I bought four of them for about $15 each MOC (one fell off her card in transit though so she's not MOC) because at the time there were LOTS of them and they weren't that popular. Now if you go looking for a watercolor baby sea pony MOC you'll find the prices between $70 and $100 at least. Sometimes more. (Annoyingly for me the one that I had that fell off her card in transit seems to be the most hard to get of the set, sigh).

The thing about decarding in the middle nineties or early 2000s is that there were still a lot of ponies coming out of warehouses and appearing in clearance stores and markets, especially here in the UK. But now we're 20ish years on since that time. There aren't endless warehouse stocks of these ponies now. There are only the ones circulating between dealers, those which are being sold by collectors selling up, and those which fluke out of people's attics.

My sister hates MIP stuff as a rule, and she and I are total opposites in this. But she does understand my reasons for not liking to decard, and she's said many times she wouldn't decard a G1 because of the fact she might be taking something away from another collector. In return, I've worked hard to get her loose versions of the ponies she really wants and loves. That way we coexist peacefully with very different views. It is possible for that to happen without it ending in a fight.

It is a private decision but the moment it gets mentioned on here it becomes public domain and we are all aware of it. And some of us it upsets very much when people talk about it so casually. Whether we have a right to intervene or not is secondary to whether we have the right to feel upset about it, which is why it becomes so contentious.

In my case, as I said before, I collect UK carded ponies mostly. Some years ago a seller listed a ton of UK carded rainbow ponies on ebay. I have one of them, but the one I really want is Windy, and when she came up, I didn't have the money. I've spent the last ten or so years looking for her, but she has never come up again. All those ponies and yet where are they now? I don't know if they got decarded or if they're just with collectors. I have no idea. But UK stuff doesn't survive in as copious quantities as US stuff does. Most European stuff is in smaller quantities and there are fewer in existence in general because of the market sizes. So I do wonder, sometimes, if there still is a MOC Windy out there for me to find. Or if it's already too late.

I have a few ponies like that from my childhood that I am trying still to get on their original cards, but who knows if they even exist. I know most of them existed...but whether they still do or not, that's harder to say.

I keep talking about sorting and downsizing and organising my MIP collection, but honestly, discussions like this remind me why I shouldn't, because at least while they're with me, they're safe. I know I have some ponies in my MOC collection which are probably the only surviving examples. There's a lot that can be learned from a pony MOC - correct accessories, stories, details from the card, the card itself, release date, release style, batch number...lots of things. I collect MOC ponies and I collect cards from ponies to preserve as much of that history as I can, because there are still people who recycle pony packages and still people who destroy MOC ponies. And this discussion will always come up, but whenever it does it makes me doubly committed to protecting as much of that pony history as I can for the future. We've seen a lot of websites disappear and information vanish over the years. A tangible MIP pony provides all that evidence and information all over again, so we need them.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 05:09:00 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2018, 05:53:52 AM »
Jeez I get it, I'm not gonna unseal a g1 pony. The more expensive they get, the less likely people will want to, anyway.

I'm still curious which ponies aren't as expensive but I don't see myself getting a NIP g1 unless I get lucky, anyway.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 05:56:21 AM by Khoufu »

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2018, 06:00:10 AM »
I think ebay is going to be a good indicator of what’s cheapest G1s.

One alternative would be to buy a boxed set of the Fantasy Rainbow Unicorn Fakies and open that instead?  To be honest I think they’re made of the same plastic as G1s so i’m pretty sure you’ll get the same smell and feel. (we know that hasbro was just cranking out ponies in 1983 and they truly probably used the cheapest plastic possible - aka Modern Fakie Plastic. My G1 Medley feels like a chew toy). Just an idea.

Edit -  Here’s a youtube channel where a guy decards 90s toys:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1PJBA6YWQq-Tt3xOExkUhA
... so we don’t have to! :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 07:27:31 AM by gabumon »

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2018, 06:34:22 AM »
I agree with everyone that is against decarding or opening MOC/MIB items. I’d love to own a MOC G1 pony but it hasn’t happened yet because most MOC g1s are now out of my price range. I do have a MOC Great Skates though. I was so excited to finally get something G1 MOC. Great Skates probably isn’t the rarest set of Pony Wear that’s still MOC but if I open it (something I won’t do) that’s one less MOC Great Skates and one day it might be last MOC Great Skates left. Opening it just makes it a mint , loose Great Skates and less valuable as a piece of pony history.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2018, 08:00:51 AM »
Whoa, totally disagree that Hasbro used "the cheapest plastic possible."   Yes, G1s are squishy compared to later gens.  They are meant to feel "soft" (as opposed to harder plastics, like those you'd see on action figures, or brittle plastics like My Pretty Pony.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2018, 08:10:40 AM »
I think ebay is going to be a good indicator of what’s cheapest G1s.

One alternative would be to buy a boxed set of the Fantasy Rainbow Unicorn Fakies and open that instead?  To be honest I think they’re made of the same plastic as G1s so i’m pretty sure you’ll get the same smell and feel. (we know that hasbro was just cranking out ponies in 1983 and they truly probably used the cheapest plastic possible - aka Modern Fakie Plastic. My G1 Medley feels like a chew toy). Just an idea.

Edit -  Here’s a youtube channel where a guy decards 90s toys:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1PJBA6YWQq-Tt3xOExkUhA
... so we don’t have to! :)

That's a neat channel, thanks for the link. Tbh one reason I decard so many 90s trek figures is cuz they're harder to find loose irl.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2018, 11:36:00 AM »
Whoa, totally disagree that Hasbro used "the cheapest plastic possible."   Yes, G1s are squishy compared to later gens.  They are meant to feel "soft" (as opposed to harder plastics, like those you'd see on action figures, or brittle plastics like My Pretty Pony.)

I actually think that...probably...while it's mass produced plastic and undoubtedly full of things you wouldn't find in contemporary plastic - the way that many ponies have stood up to the test of time prove it's not that bad in terms of quality. I mean, we can't compare it that easily to the plastic of newer generations but we do know that there are G3 and even some G4 ponies who have serious issues already. For example, G1 ponies probably will all suffer the plasticizer issue at some point, but there are G3 ones already in that situation, and the divine shine ponies are the most tragic example of deteriorating twenty-first century plastic :/ And then there's the hair issue - G1 ponies very rarely suffer from brittle hair disease, and only tend to do so when the hair's been exposed to chemicals or really bad conditions. But we have examples from G3 and G4 of ponies where the hair fibres are already rotting and falling away. Aside from being a real health hazard risk for kids in an entirely different way to second hand G1 ponies, it's really sad that in 30 years we might not see some of the ponies of now standing the test of time.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2018, 11:56:21 AM »
It's weird how Barbie, despite being probably the #1 selling doll, has way worse hair than MLPs.  Like, that blond mass looks sleek and lovely in the box, but start playing with it and it gets perma-frizz. I have never seen a thrift store Barbie with what I would consider truly nice hair (sleek and silky.)  I believe Barbie hair is made from saran, while MLP hair is (more expensive?) nylon.

According to Ruth Bush (Hasbro employee & G1 team member) the G1 hair came from a small company in Italy.  I think she said that they went under around 1988(?) or so and they had to switch suppliers.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2018, 11:59:27 AM »
It's weird how Barbie, despite being probably the #1 selling doll, has way worse hair than MLPs.  Like, that blond mass looks sleek and lovely in the box, but start playing with it and it gets perma-frizz. I have never seen a thrift store Barbie with what I would consider truly nice hair (sleek and silky.)  I believe Barbie hair is made from saran, while MLP hair is (more expensive?) nylon.

According to Ruth Bush (Hasbro employee & G1 team member) the G1 hair came from a small company in Italy.  I think she said that they went under around 1988(?) or so and they had to switch suppliers.

I heard that before too. I'm guessing it only really hit Hasbro bigstyle when it came to the 1991-2 year as that's the year where the later produced versions of ponies/batches that mostly ended up in Europe had some really bad hair at times. And also where you see lots of variation in hair colour and texture. I think they were still experimenting. The old fading pink also disappears around that time (although pale pink that fades did still exist it wasn't quite the same as it had been, you had more with the style of hair like Love Story and Nice & Spicy which looked pale pink but didn't fade so easily).
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal