collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Are there any cheap NIB/MOC g1 or g2 ponies?  (Read 2064 times)

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
Are there any cheap NIB/MOC g1 or g2 ponies?
« on: February 05, 2018, 10:36:33 AM »
I was too young to recall opening a G2 pony toy, and I've never even seen a NIB/MOC G1 pony in real life. How cheap can they get? What are some cheaper NIB/MOC ponies I could keep an eye out for, if I want to experience opening a real G1 pony?

EDIT: I wouldn't mind opening a complete in box pony that's already been opened. I'm still curious about relatively cheap MIP G1 ponies. I could probably convince myself to hold onto one.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:10:11 PM by Khoufu »
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Saphy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any cheap NIB/MOC g1 or g2 ponies?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 10:42:30 AM »
I've seen g2 that aren't all that high

Offline Saphy

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 10:43:21 AM »
Wait you want it to open? Go for a 35th aniveresary g1 they sell at target 10 bucks each

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 10:44:42 AM »
I have never heard of cheap MOC G1 ponies. No offense, but isn't it satisfying enough to open a G1 anniversary pony? Dunno what is "cheap" to you but I wouldn't want to buy a 100€ MOC just so I can open it. For that money you could open multiple of the new Bridge Direct ponies.

G2s can be found cheaper than G1s. I think 20€ is fair for a MOC G2. In general I'd say some Euro exclusives are harder to come by because collectors inflated their worth. HoustonCollector seems to be a G2 guru, maybe he can weigh in?

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 10:52:56 AM »
Deboxing is a very contentious issue in the pony community and on the arena...threads relating to it often end up locked because of that fact.

Personally I am very against deboxing of anything no  longer in stores.

My reasoning is that there are a limited number remaining of these items, especially G1.

If you debox a MOC or MIB pony, you take away the chance of one other collector somewhere to have that pony MOC/MIB. There are lots of loose ponies already. If you debox a pony, you might take away from someone else their chances of getting their grail. Think about the most valuable pony to you in your collection. Then think of someone taking it and cutting off its hair and ripping its head off before taking it away. To people who collect MOC ponies, that's essentially what deboxing is.

In a more clinical sense, deboxing makes the price of MIP ponies go up as well because of the supply and demand issue. I have been here 20 years. I have seen massive inflation in areas where common MOC ponies got deboxed or decarded en masse (eg Greek, Argentinian ponies) and now are very much more expensive MOC.

Nobody can tell you what to do with your own ponies. You are entitled to treat your property in any way you see fit. But it is one of the more controversial things in the community.

In my case, I collect mostly UK MIP of which there are very few surviving examples. Just one decarded pony ever might take the last example of that pony out of the community forever. There are more examples of some US ponies, but that doesn't mean if everyone deboxed a pony for their own amusement that would stay the same.

If you really must debox a G1 pony, I suggest you look for one in a wrecked and mouldy package affected by damp or some other condition whereby leaving it in the package could damage the pony and be unhealthy or unsafe.

However, I really hope you will decide not to do it. We are not in a world any more where there are enough G1 ponies still in package for everyone to just relive their childhood. I genuinely think sometimes thinking of the community and the collectors who come after us is as valid as believing we have the right to treat our collections how we see fit.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 10:56:31 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 10:57:23 AM »
I saw someone say that there are some 50€ Italy ponies. I saw some NIB g1 baby set for $20 on ebay a couple years ago and was hoping that wasn't a particularly rare instance.

I love opening toys late at night when no one else is awake, so I can really enjoy it, but usually they're  $10 90s Star Trek action figures. The 35s would be fun but they aren't packaged the same, and they are repros of history, not actual pieces of history.

I was hoping there was a common one just so I can unbox SOME pony, just to experience it once.

I don't want to add to any controversy, I was just curious.

And I would be more than happy to debox one in an already wrecked box.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 11:01:06 AM by Khoufu »

Offline Mlp Sunsparkle

• Colorswirl Pony
  • Sparkles are great, but Sunsparkles are better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 11:08:39 AM »
I would agree that the only cheap g1s that are boxed/on card are the 35th anniversary ones. I haven't seen g1s on card go for less than £50, (I'm not an expert I'd check with others) As for g2, the worldwide releases are usually quite cheap.

As a money saving alternative: Maybe some will pop up on ebay where they kept all the packaging, and then you could ask the seller to put it back in the box and then you could (kind of) open it like it was new? Not sure if ponies like this come up often, but they would certainly be cheaper than a MOC. :)

I know others will likely disagree, (and I honestly don't mean to upset anyone) but I don't think a few seconds of ripping a pony off a card would be fun for long, especially after you would've probably spent at least $50 on it and now it's open, and won't ever be MOC again.
I know they're toys, not endangered species, but it seems a shame to take one out. But they're yours once you buy them, so of course you can open them if you like :) also shipping may be killer but there were some mouldy moc g2s on uk ebay  ;)

Mlp sunsparkle x
(I sincerely apologise if I upset anyone, please know it was not my intention xx)

Sig made by: Sapphire Rain
Instagram: mlp_sunsparkle

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 11:13:35 AM »
Frankly, the whole subject of this thread upsets me :/
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 11:23:58 AM »
If it'd make you feel better, complete with box would also probably satisfy me, so long as it's like Sunsparrkle suggested: put back in the box so I can still experience opening it, even if it isn't sealed. That's how I got my 1998 Furby, though it was advertised as NIB. Technically it was new and in box, the box was just opened.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 11:26:21 AM »
I was actually about to suggest that. Those do come up on ebay sometimes. And because the seal is broken and the ponies have been removed previously, they tend to sell for lower prices too.

They're technically deboxed already.

It;s technically not experiencing history if in the process you are also destroying history. As a historian, I really dislike the 'history' argument.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 11:33:07 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 11:29:42 AM »
If it'd make you feel better, complete with box would also probably satisfy me, so long as it's like Sunsparrkle suggested: put back in the box so I can still experience opening it, even if it isn't sealed. That's how I got my 1998 Furby, though it was advertised as NIB. Technically it was new and in box, the box was just opened.
If that's the case, you might wanna shoot for a playset that is sold with the box. I've never seen a cheap pony on card.
I DID see a $10 MOC ponywear set at some thrift shop near me, but I have no easy way to display it and MOC isn't as fun for me. I doubt $10 is run of the mill pricing for ponywear that's still on card, but I can't bring myself to break open anything like that knowing the limited amount of them.  :silly:

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 11:41:32 AM »
I saw several Greek ponywear on ebay for little more than that, "NIP" aside from the box being open. Ponywear is meant to be worn! Honestly buying semi-NIP ponywear seems like the best way to get a complete outfit all at once. I'd almost be tempted to get a semi-NIP g2 Sky Skimmer cuz she had some tiny accessories that I lost long ago.

Offline KottonKandy

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 06:28:14 PM »
Ya, I definitely would not advise opening up something that the collectors' community has taken care to specifically NOT open for 30 years. MIP is rare and desired and the prices of those pieces reflect that. And I guarantee you, there's no magical moment when you pull apart the packaging. It's just opening a box or pulling a plastic bubble off a piece of cardboard. It's the same as ripping the packaging off a new toy, except that new toy is still being produced and released. And as Sunsparkle said, it lasts a brief moment and is completly un-doable.

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 06:46:52 PM »
I actually really enjoy deboxing toys and looking at the goodies, like the scratch cards in Star Trek figures for old giveaways from 1993, or posters, but since that's a big part of the joy, as I said I would be happy with complete in box, as long as it's complete aside from internal packaging.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 07:25:10 PM »
I really would not suggest opening MIB Greek ponywear.  :/  It is not cheap because it's common, it's cheap because someone somewhere found a few boxes of it in storage and it hasn't full "infiltrated" into the community yet.  Back in the day the same thing happened with MOC Greek ponies (not all of them, but a lot of them) and they were selling for $20 and $30.  Well . . . that didn't last and now they're back to being rare again.

To be honest there aren't any 'common' MOC / MIB G1 ponies, aside from the 35th (and 25th) anniversary ponies.

I would suggest looking for an already opened complete MIB pony . . . You can put them back in the box, take them out, and so forth, because of the nature of their packaging.

You could also buy a G4 and debox it, as far as the 'feeling' you get it's exactly the same.  ;)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal