collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: American Girl Questions  (Read 828 times)

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
American Girl Questions
« on: March 03, 2018, 11:01:28 PM »
I've been semi-collecting American Girl since I was a kid, but all I have are four Kirsten dolls. I'm looking into buying a Josephina, but I would rather get an older one online than buy a "Be Forever" one in the store. I really don't know much about what I should be looking for. I do know that I would much prefer a Pleasant Company doll. How much should I expect to pay for a Pleasant Company Josephina with all of her original clothes (not all sets, but just the Meet outfit)? And how can I tell if it's Pleasant Company if the seller doesn't specify this? I saw a Josephina with her clothes and her shawl on ebay go for around $50 (but I was outbid). I don't know if that's low or high. So, any information would be appreciated.

Also... if I get frustrated would it be worth my time to just give up and buy one from the store, or are the new ones significantly poorer quality? I have noticed that the clothes design is different on the newer ones.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: American Girl Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 06:34:37 AM »
The new ones are TERRIBLE quality, keep hunting on the secondary market!  They are made of such vastly different quality materials that you would instantly know the difference.  And the doll shape has changed dramatically - the old dolls cannot wear the new clothes.  New clothes and shoes are just too small.  Plus AG now only offers a return/exchange on their products for TWO years ONLY with receipt... 

You are lucky to have FOUR Kirstens, I just want one... ;) 

You should be able to acquire a Josefina for ~$70-80 with her Meet Outfit.  Extra outfits and the box may push you over $100. 
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 06:48:14 PM »
You will be looking for a doll made in the late 90's then.  Depending on how nice you expect her to be I would assume your looking at 99.00 Bin price for a dressed good condition but played with doll with shoes.  A mint in the box is going to run you closer to 200.00 from that date.  If you go with a slightly more played with doll and an auction you could get one probably between 50.00 and 80.00.  So really this is going to depend on the condition you want for your doll.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 06:51:42 PM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 07:58:48 PM »
Mine was $120, she's a lovely first edition. Came to me from her first owner after being removed from the box once when they received her, and then again for pictures when they sold her. She has the typical shoelace flaw where they had degraded and some staining on her ankles from being in her boots since 1997 :lol: She also came with her NIB accessories.

Hopefully that will give you some kinda reference :)

Totally dying over here as well to hear you have four Kirsten. She is ma favorite and the one I currently have is in pieces without eyes.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 08:00:21 PM by Duenia »

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 10:02:07 PM »
Kirsten dolls pretty much flock to me as my name is Kirsten. My first is my childhood one and the rest I've come across by happenstance.

Thanks for all the info, guys. From what you've said, I'm really crying now that I didn't win that auction that ended at ~$50. Oh well, I'll keep looking! It sounds like Josefina will be in my price range, though. And it's so sad that the new dolls are so terrible. The stores didn't exist when I was a kid but I would have LOVED to get to go to the store and pick out a doll. Maybe one day they'll get their act together. :/

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 11:01:02 PM »
Kirsten dolls pretty much flock to me as my name is Kirsten. My first is my childhood one and the rest I've come across by happenstance.

I wish I had that problem XD

You may have better luck on one of the many Facebook groups finding your Josefina than ebay. They tend to be a bit cheaper and the people more knowledgeable in general.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal