collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I wanna see restorations!  (Read 5695 times)

Offline KottonKandy

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: I wanna see restorations!
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 04:59:47 PM »
Bump! For one I just finished.
Spoiler
Before:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

After:

And a bonus one of Clarice playin quality control when I was rerooting the mane:

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 07:02:31 PM »
I'm really bad at documenting mine but here's a couple

Childhood Baby Quackers

I don't have a before photo but my rehaired Baby Cotton Candy

Again no before photo but she came to me missing a tail and with her hair all shopped off. I need to trim and style her hair better still

Sunfading Paradise before and after

Sunfading Gusty before and after. Very white Birthday Pony for comparison

Offline KottonKandy

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 07:17:35 PM »
I'm really bad at documenting mine but here's a couple

Childhood Baby Quackers

I don't have a before photo but my rehaired Baby Cotton Candy

Again no before photo but she came to me missing a tail and with her hair all shopped off. I need to trim and style her hair better still

Sunfading Paradise before and after

Sunfading Gusty before and after. Very white Birthday Pony for comparison

Whoa. Isn’t that SS Gusty?!? I had no idea that sunfading would work on SS! To be quite honest, I don’t know much about sunfading in general. I have a few who could benefit but I’ve always been too spooked to try it.  :blush:
And how difficult is it to rehair rainbow (or any multi-color) ponies? I’ve not had one come to me yet that needed it and I’m completely baffled as to how one goes about it. Is there a way to tell how many plugs in the mane gets each color? Or do you just count/eye it from the remaining hair you’re replacing? And is there a rule on separating the colors for the tail? Or not?

Anyways, I am humbled and impressed with your restoration skills! You do all the things I’ve been too scared to do lol!  :biggrin:

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2018, 06:29:29 AM »
Great restorations everyone! I've missed these types of threads and can't look back anymore since most people were using photobucket at the time. I'll have to dig up some pictures the next time I'm at my desktop
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline Kikwifluff

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Bait ponies need love too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2018, 11:14:22 AM »
I’ll have to post photos of my Boysenberry Pie when I’m at my computer again :)

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 10:53:57 AM »
Whoa. Isn’t that SS Gusty?!? I had no idea that sunfading would work on SS! To be quite honest, I don’t know much about sunfading in general. I have a few who could benefit but I’ve always been too spooked to try it.  :blush:
And how difficult is it to rehair rainbow (or any multi-color) ponies? I’ve not had one come to me yet that needed it and I’m completely baffled as to how one goes about it. Is there a way to tell how many plugs in the mane gets each color? Or do you just count/eye it from the remaining hair you’re replacing? And is there a rule on separating the colors for the tail? Or not?

Anyways, I am humbled and impressed with your restoration skills! You do all the things I’ve been too scared to do lol!  :biggrin:

Thank you! I didn't know if it would work either since everyone says it's the glue that is yellowed and won't sun fade but Paradise whitened so well I decided to give it a try. I don't get great sun light here in Canadian winters so she sat in a window being rotated for at least 6 months. She could still go a little whiter but I was impatient and she turned out really nice compared to her before.

For the hair placement of multiple colors I trim any remaining hair as short as possible and take a photo so I can count the plugs when I rehair. For the tail I try not to mix up the colors too much. I take an equal amount of each color and pretty much layer them in the order they look the best to me. If I want a certain color to be more dominant that goes on top.

Thank you so much for the compliments! I need to get better on my hair cutting skills so for now I've left the manes longer. It just takes practice and experimenting. Start off with a pony that is bad enough that it won't matter if you mess up.  :)

Offline Babydoll

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • ★ Instagram Babydoll84uk (Pics of my collection) ★
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 11:35:36 AM »
Omg Shy Violet you did an amazing job sunfading your girls :heart: I think I will need to try this on my SS Gusty her flocking is amazing but she is a little on the yellow side!

Babydoll~

Offline KottonKandy

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2018, 08:40:56 PM »

Thank you! I didn't know if it would work either since everyone says it's the glue that is yellowed and won't sun fade but Paradise whitened so well I decided to give it a try. I don't get great sun light here in Canadian winters so she sat in a window being rotated for at least 6 months. She could still go a little whiter but I was impatient and she turned out really nice compared to her before.

For the hair placement of multiple colors I trim any remaining hair as short as possible and take a photo so I can count the plugs when I rehair. For the tail I try not to mix up the colors too much. I take an equal amount of each color and pretty much layer them in the order they look the best to me. If I want a certain color to be more dominant that goes on top.

Thank you so much for the compliments! I need to get better on my hair cutting skills so for now I've left the manes longer. It just takes practice and experimenting. Start off with a pony that is bad enough that it won't matter if you mess up.  :)
Ahh, that’s really clever to take a pic beforehand of the mane. I can be kinda ditzy at times so I probably would’ve removed all the hair then be completely dumbfounded on what to do.  :blush:

I occasionally buy TLC lots, so I’m sure I’ll end up with a particularly nasty pony to practice on at some point. Same for the SSs. Again, I’ve been lucky and all my white SSs are already pretty white to begin with. I have a few normal white ponies who could benefit from sunfading, but I’m still sorta reluctant to attempt them. I don’t wanna mess them up further! They’ve already had a visibly rough life!  >_<

I tend to leave my rehairs pretty long, so I can’t comment on the accurate length. I figure I already have the hair in her scalp, AND in the future if I ever go crazy and somehow decide to sell my collection, the ridiculously long hair would be an excellent flag to remind me that the hair is not original.

Thank you so so so much for the tips and the pics! I truly appreciate it! :lovey:

Offline mewthemew

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2018, 08:20:32 AM »
 A Blossom who I thought was covered in age spots, but her 'sister' in the bait lot was a blank orange half note with her head painted white, I've decided she was either painted black, or someone did a horrible job trying to take the paint off, and gave her a good re-paint:
 Before
 After

Still in the process of re-hairing, but without the appropirate dolly hair color, I haven't touched the project in a while.

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2018, 12:42:53 PM »
Finally back with some images! I thought about making my own post about this buuut....nah.

Before: Filthy filthy horsie. She was so covered in dirt it'd make any man cry. Also tail rust...

...as demonstrated here.

One oxyclean and magic eraser bath later. I may use acetone to remove the marks someday but for now, she's feeling much better!

And so happy to be with her set mates!
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline SpookyTrees

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2018, 04:06:15 AM »
Hopefully this works - I also haven’t posted pics since the Photobucket days...

Spoiler

Sunfading is amazing :)
:biggrin: Looking for G1 Starshine, Bubbles, Lickety Split, Posey, Tickle, and a few more :biggrin:

Offline Sweet Stuff

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Lil Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2018, 07:30:22 AM »

Spoiler

Goodness, she looks amazing! I wish we had good enough sun in the UK to perform sunfading. Or at least, where I live. I can't believe how different she looks
Currently looking for: NIP G1 Sweet Stuff.

Offline SpookyTrees

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2018, 02:28:00 PM »
Why thank you!! Living in Canada we don’t have the best sun for 10 months of the of the year but in the summer she’s got some kick!  I’ve got 3 ponies in my wi Dow now just waiting to see some sun and I’ve been inspired to sunfade my So Soft thanks to this thread!!

I also did a deflock on Best Wishes - I love how she turned out!!!

Spoiler

:biggrin: Looking for G1 Starshine, Bubbles, Lickety Split, Posey, Tickle, and a few more :biggrin:

Offline starstrider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2018, 02:25:18 AM »

Spoiler

Wow!  Amazing results!  You've convinced me to give sun fading a shot.  May I ask what you used to cover her eyes, blush, and symbols with?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal