collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: HQG1C?  (Read 75371 times)

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
Re: HQG1C?
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2018, 09:54:29 AM »
As much as I love these, my stupid completionist self can't bear the idea of getting one without getting all, and I simply don't have the money for that  :( The fact that these are going to continue indefinitely is what really throws me off - if it was just one set I could calculate the amount of money I'd spend on it in total, but as it is, starting to collect these is gonna be a huge investment. Not that this is a gripe against the HQG1C project - it's just my own dumb self not really being compatible with this project.

I think the prices are pretty fair, honestly - these are customs, after all, and even if they're not handmade, getting the right supplies+molds and convincing a factory overseas (!!!!!) to actually mass-produce these sounds like just as much work as hand painting, rehairing and sculpting a pony. It's just not physical labor, which is why I feel it gets brushed aside. Like, this is an actual business effort going on - that takes some SERIOUS entrepreneurial skills!

Plus, they frequently have bundle sales, and even if the price drops on individual ponies aren't /that/ steep, you can still save quite a bit if you have enough money to throw down on several at once.

...just out of curiosity, how many sets do you guys currently have planned, and how many ponies per set do you foresee producing?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2018, 10:04:27 AM »
Oh you guys... I seem to have accidentally just bought a sitting white blank  :cool:
 :frolic: :frolic: :frolic: :frolic:

This happenned to me on a few occasions with different ponies.

I love the idea that they are about, don't get me wrong I do not intend to get all of them but it is nice to add them in to my current collection. And yes they do have minor flaws but I recently put one next to a new hasbro pony that I bought for a swap..... well the hasbro pony was tossed out it was in outrages condition I would not give to the target audience to play with never mind a collector.

I do not think the prices are to bad considering what you get in return

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2018, 10:12:39 AM »

Just because someone didn't paint the body or the eyes on doesn't mean they are not hand made. People spend weeks designing/ choosing colors, someone physically pours/ pulls the pony from the mold, risks their fingers on an industrial hairing machine, puts the pony in the symbol stamper, hand cuts each tail and places each head on, bags each pony with accessories and packs them, so they are, in a way, made by hand.

Wow I would LOVE to see how a pony is constructed!

Have you photos of the molds, the hairing machine and the intriguing symbol stamper in action?

I think it would be really cool to see them "being born"!  :biggrin:

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2018, 10:15:16 AM »

Just because someone didn't paint the body or the eyes on doesn't mean they are not hand made. People spend weeks designing/ choosing colors, someone physically pours/ pulls the pony from the mold, risks their fingers on an industrial hairing machine, puts the pony in the symbol stamper, hand cuts each tail and places each head on, bags each pony with accessories and packs them, so they are, in a way, made by hand.

Wow I would LOVE to see how a pony is constructed!

Have you photos of the molds, the hairing machine and the intriguing symbol stamper in action?

I think it would be really cool to see them "being born"!  :biggrin:

I know a video of someone using the hairing machine was posted once.

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2018, 10:19:12 AM »

I know a video of someone using the hairing machine was posted once.

I *think* I may have seen a similar one but for a doll, not for a pony.
It would be so interesting to see it if anyone can find the vid?

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2018, 10:24:49 AM »
All this talk about them actually reminded me I planned to get the valentines package but never ordered. Fixed that up real quick!  :P

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2018, 12:16:32 PM »
These ponies are a labor of love. They require a small team of us that literally spend months making them. No one is getting rich from these or paid by the hour like people working basic fun/bridge direct, and they are very limited quantities compared to any pony you'll find in a store. If each run was a guarunteed sell out, prices could be lowered so join our facebook group and spread the word to friends! You can catch special deals on cheaper ones through the group from time to time;)

Most of our ponies range in the $15-$30 range. Buying the big bundle packs is the best deal when new ponies are released and we try to spoil our supporters as best we can:) This project is still new, its not like there are 50,000 being made and sold in stores so they're more like a special mail order than anything else. We do this to bring new and unique characters with meaning, not cheap bootlegs you'd find in a dollar store. Like I said, join the group and keep an eye out for a deal;)

Someone spent weeks designing every genuine MLP too.
Same with the production - by that definition, every toy on every store shelf is 'hand-made'.
I'm not your target market.  I hate social media, will never use Failbook and here's no way I'm going to spend 70$+ dollars on a bootleg toy (that's the actual cost to me, after currency conversion and shipping factored in). 

This is hardly a mass produced bootleg. Why don't you two make remake pony moulds and order hair and see how much it costs you?

Where do we draw the line between mass produced and not?  They're certainly not unique or one-of-a-kind.  That would imply batch production, or production en mass.  There's no need to get snippy; as I said, I'm happy they exist because it means more acceptable bait bodies for those who want G1 bases.  Just not for me.  And I've no interest in trying to remake Hasbro's G1 moulds, as I prefer not to open myself to potential legal action - however remote that possibility may seem. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Sunset

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2018, 12:28:29 PM »
For me personally, I find that what I like about these is a little different from what I like about vintage g1.  I rarely buy g1 online.  I guess in my mind, vintage g1 that is already in the community will always be there.  I could buy them for the going rate plus shipping.  But instead I spend gas money driving around to flea markets. There's a huge one that I go to a few times a year but it's a 2 hour drive away plus $5 for parking.  I could save that money and buy a guaranteed g1 pony instead of hoping to find something and often coming away disappointed.  But then sometimes I come away with a great haul.  So I guess for me I love the treasure hunt aspect of collecting g1.

HQG1 is different because I will only ever find them online.  Also they are limited.  Much like the Fair exclusives in past years ( which also typically cost $20-25) Even if there is a run of 500, which is a lot compared to a hand made custom, it's still a drop in the bucket compared to the 50,000 run that Hasbro probably makes of each character (200,000 if it's Pinkie :P ).  And since Hasbro is making ponies in those numbers they can also make them cheaper cause the factory can buy the supplies in bulk and don't have to reset the machines as often.

But that aside, I really enjoy getting to see some of the behind the scenes on designing and producing these.  And getting to be involved even if it's just voting on a poll about two similar shades of hair.

In regards to Basic Fun, I think everyone would be super excited if they where to start releasing new characters.  Even those directly involved with HQGC want to see that.  But until they do I don't see a conflict.  HQGC appeals to those who already have a lot of vintage G1 but who want to see new characters.  Basic Fun is currently banking on the nostalgia of readily recognizable characters to the "average" fan.

The conversion aspect *is* very unfortunate for those who don't live in the US and I completely understand needing to make choices about where to spend money.

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2018, 01:01:03 PM »
I love this project: I have Genie, Puppy Love, Kitty Love, Dasher, Celebration, Glitter wishes and the new Valentine's ponies on pre-order. To me the price is obviously not cheap but I get a lot from it. Good design, nice quality, new character etc. And spending 25$ a few times per year is not expensive. It's not like there's a new one every every month.

I wouldn't call them bootlegs as bootlegs are made to be exact replicas of items but cheaper than the original in order to poach profits. These are not copies of existing G1 ponies. They are customs which are not ooak.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 01:05:24 PM by SaraMari »

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2018, 01:20:14 PM »
I wouldn't call them bootlegs as bootlegs are made to be exact replicas of items but cheaper than the original in order to poach profits. These are not copies of existing G1 ponies. They are customs which are not ooak.
Bootleg means simply "made, distributed or sold illegally".  It does not assure better, equal or worse quality.  You're thinking of knockoff, which is a cheap copy of a popular product.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2018, 01:28:52 PM »
I am so excited about the HQG1C ponies!  I've been collecting G1s for pretty much my whole life and, within the last few years, have mostly completed my collection since I don't care much for later gens.  That was a HUGE bummer because I just didn't have much reason to continue to be active in the pony community or do much with my collection.  This project has given me a renewed interest and love of ponies all over again! 

Are they a bit pricey?  Yes.  But I understand the reasons and, for me, it's worth it since I have so very little else G1 related to buy!
For me, these are customs not so unlike the ones people repaint and rehair and post right here on the Arena.  And some of those go for way more than $25.  These are ponies specifically for collectors designed by collectors.  The fact that there is more than one identical pony means more people get to enjoy them!

Overall, it seems like harmless fun.  Much like collecting in general.

ETA:  I'm going to need a bigger shelf...

« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 01:30:44 PM by Aadra310 »

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2018, 02:09:52 PM »
To me, it's more similar to recasting a figure. Something thst - for example - the model horse community or doll community would hate because it's not legal.

I'm not sure about the model horse community but I know the BJD community doesn't like recasts because most BJD "companies" are small groups of artists. Most playline doll communities actually embrace bootlegs.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2018, 02:12:24 PM »
HQG1 is different because I will only ever find them online.  Also they are limited.  Much like the Fair exclusives in past years ( which also typically cost $20-25) Even if there is a run of 500, which is a lot compared to a hand made custom, it's still a drop in the bucket compared to the 50,000 run that Hasbro probably makes of each character (200,000 if it's Pinkie :P ). 

Totally agree! I have the G3 Junko Mizuno without box. She started out as an 1€ auction but the bidding wars catapulted her to 33€! I have Genie but Junko is my most expensive pony ever thanks to the secondhand market.

I'm not a completionist so the price is fair and a rare thing in my collection.

Offline Sunset

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2018, 02:33:13 PM »
To me, it's more similar to recasting a figure. Something thst - for example - the model horse community or doll community would hate because it's not legal.

I'm not sure about the model horse community but I know the BJD community doesn't like recasts because most BJD "companies" are small groups of artists. Most playline doll communities actually embrace bootlegs.

I was thinking about this.  I'm not a member of the Breyer community (though I have a few) so I could be reading this wrong.  Seems to me that the difference between Breyer/model horses and mlp or similar brands is what can be trademarked or branded.  Hasbro can trademark specific characters.  "firefly" is a pink Pegasus with lightning bolts on her flank.

However, Breyer can't trademark "random Appaloosa horse" or "white Arabian mare".  They certainly don't own any rights to "Man O War" or "Secretariate". Or even " the Black Stallion" or "Spirit."  So the only thing Breyer can claim as being theirs that makes their product different from anyone else's is the actual mold.  So I guess I can see how Breyer might be more proprietary about their molds.

But that's a different mind set that isn't shared in all of the mlp community.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2018, 03:22:18 PM »
Technically anyone who sells handpainted customs like "Baby Mimic" or "Daddy Gusty", or G3/G4 versions of G1 ponies, is infringing on Hasbro's intellectual property because they are profiting off the likenesses of Hasbro characters.  When the Narnia movies started coming out, the movie studio (don't remember which one it was) actually did go after someone who was selling a MLP custom based on the White Witch.

Bottom line is that companies COULD go after a wide variety of fans, but they often refrain because it's bad business to make your fans unhappy and a lot of fanworks don't directly compete with them. 
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal