collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: HQG1C?  (Read 75336 times)

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: HQG1C?
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2018, 12:13:29 AM »
Got another question for you all, in The Pony Business webpage, horseshoe points are mentioned, what are those for?

Offline Wysteria

• MOC Crazy!
  • Trade Count: (+118)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Katz Pony Shop
    • View Profile
    • http://www.katzponyshop.ecrater.com/
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2018, 01:55:10 AM »
I like them... but they are pretty pricey for what is essentially bootlegs.

Well they are making these for the pony community. You pay a lot for ponies who are painted and maybe even rehaired too. They had to recreate the moulds and hair them and stuff. That's pretty cheap for something like that.

They're too expensive for what you get, IMO.  There's a huge difference between a unique hand made custom and a mass produced bootleg.  That said I'm happy to see them exist all the same, since it means fewer original G1's ending up as custom fodder.  Would probably be much more interested if they were in the 10-15$ range.

These ponies are a labor of love. They require a small team of us that literally spend months making them. No one is getting rich from these or paid by the hour like people working basic fun/bridge direct, and they are very limited quantities compared to any pony you'll find in a store. If each run was a guarunteed sell out, prices could be lowered so join our facebook group and spread the word to friends! You can catch special deals on cheaper ones through the group from time to time;)

Just because someone didn't paint the body or the eyes on doesn't mean they are not hand made. People spend weeks designing/ choosing colors, someone physically pours/ pulls the pony from the mold, risks their fingers on an industrial hairing machine, puts the pony in the symbol stamper, hand cuts each tail and places each head on, bags each pony with accessories and packs them, so they are, in a way, made by hand.

Most of our ponies range in the $15-$30 range. Buying the big bundle packs is the best deal when new ponies are released and we try to spoil our supporters as best we can:) This project is still new, its not like there are 50,000 being made and sold in stores so they're more like a special mail order than anything else. We do this to bring new and unique characters with meaning, not cheap bootlegs you'd find in a dollar store. Like I said, join the group and keep an eye out for a deal;)

Offline PoserBeachball

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2018, 02:02:35 AM »
Wysteria, and the rest of you involved in the project - thank you for these ponies, they are utterly delightful.

Your glorious Dasher has rekindled my love of collecting, and is admired by non-MLP folk.
Am now eagerly awaiting the Valentine's release.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2018, 02:46:22 AM »
The price is slightly disappointing from a customizing angle since it's a lot to spend on custom bait but I really don't blame the people working on the project for that. If anyone is to blame it's the factories making them but there's not much else that can be done about it.

In other news why not try to make those celestial ponies that never got made?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 02:51:02 AM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2018, 03:07:38 AM »
@ Lady Moondancer
I know about TF fan projects but in case of MLP it's the exact same mold. I have never seen a fakie that looked like a copy (someone show me where to get those, lol). Even the white sitting fakie wouldn't blend into a G1 herd that easily because it's bigger and the tail is moulded.

To me, it's more similar to recasting a figure. Something thst - for example - the model horse community or doll community would hate because it's not legal.

I am happy HQG1C exist. I have always wondered if we could do something like the TF fans. Problematic to me is just that the molds appear to be "stolen" instead of being new designs like the TF projects. A HQG1C seems more bootleggy than an ugly dollar store fakie.
I don't give a damn about Hasbro, I was just concerned about legal issues.

My own question: can anyone suggest designs or themes? Because I would love to see a green TAF  :biggrin:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2018, 03:09:54 AM »
I only have Dasher so far although I plan for the valentines as well. I don't think I would buy all of them but that s the challenge the project has. Not everyone buys every pony.

I would say from the quality of Dasher that a lot of woek goes into these ponies. More probably than goes into some g4. Fashion Style Photo Finish originally retailed here at 22£ snd her qc is awful. Yeah she is official but to me that is worse.

As for the factories...those people are still people and not automatons. Lets not get into a discussion on the cost o labour...

I think that the real prixe reason is that it depends on how many people are interested. I am ok with the price as I am only buying the ones that jump out at me.

I do with there was a cheaper way to produce blanks for custom as I see this as a way to protect existing g1 ponies from being customised. Maybe one day...

@Zapper - buttons?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2018, 03:21:13 AM »
I just don't want to spend big bucks on a highly sought after pony that might have age spots and bad hair.
I would love to see a new one in a fresh green. More green ponies in general. Maybe that's why Buttons and Mimic go for insane prices, because they are true green G1s :lol:

I was thinking of a light green TAF with thin vines and heart shaped little leaves on her back. Sort of a sister to Sugarberry.

PS: That's why I got Genie. A sparkle pony in good quality without plastic breakdown or a hardened body and with nice silky hair.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 03:24:28 AM by Zapper »

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2018, 04:02:53 AM »
I just love this project and have a small collection of the ponies so far. ^-^ Yes, they might seem a little on the expensive side at first, but I think they are worth it. Very high quality and just gorgeous! I love that the people running the project take suggestions and feedback from the rest of us collectors. We even get to vote on things like color preferences on new ponies that are coming out soon on the Facebook group. Anyway, these are my HQG1s so far:

I can't wait for the new Valentine's Day girls to arrive! They are made from flutter pony molds (without wings or the mechanisms). They are just gorgeous! <3

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2018, 07:23:09 AM »
I absolutely love them and I would love to support the project, but by the time you convert to CAD, there's just no way I could ever spend that kind of money on a pony. 
A HQG1C costs in CAD about the same as one of my line of credit payments!  :( 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline StrawberryScoops

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2018, 07:39:33 AM »
I love them as well but only have Dasher. Unfortunately the Canadian conversion is quite killer. $25 is very reasonable for them, it’s the US/CAD conversion, shipping, and fees that are killer. It cost me about $70 to get my Dasher. If I lived in the US I’d have them all.

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2018, 07:58:05 AM »
I really like the ponies (have Baby Batty, Genie and Kitty Love matte) but to be honest... its a lot of money to invest and Im still looking for a lot of G1 ponies from my wishlist. Yes I know why they cost their price but I want to be honest and as long as there are original G1 on my wishlist Im leaning towards buying those first.

There is one other thing.. My Kitty Love came to me with a scratched eye (very visible sadly). Is that common or to say in other words do I have to expect flaws like that when ordering another pony? This fact currently holds me off from ordering Dasher and Puppy Love whom Id really love to add.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2018, 08:06:58 AM »
I admit th3 the exchange rate thing is an issue hete too. Although I blame that mostly on the idiots in this country whose ill advised politics led to the crash of the £ against other currencies. It is good to be able at least atm to order them from somewhere without import duty risks. If that were a consideration I would probably pass on them.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2018, 08:26:51 AM »
I have never seen a fakie that looked like a copy (someone show me where to get those, lol).

If you google "my little pony crumpet fakie" or "my little pony newborn fakie dollar general" you'll see some.  The crumpet fakie was available in my local drug store in the 90s.  I found one at the flea market recently and looking at her I can even see that the hoof stamps look the same except you can see where they filled in the bottom of the hoof that was stamped  "Hasbro".  I don't know if the dollar general newborn fakie is still being sold but I've found her a few times while thrifting.  She's very popular with the customizers. 

They are both clearly made with either original molds or recasted.  They just use really cheap materials for the plastic and the hair.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2018, 09:27:46 AM »
I think the bigger issue is that Hasbro either don't know or aren't acting on the Chinese distributors selling loose ponies on Ebay.  Those are technically a threat to their sales. It surprises me they aren't trying to clamp down on that more. Though it can also be said that poor distribution of some sets drove some people to buy on ebay, so...maybe they make the problem worse.

In any case the only query I would have on this is the new retro ponies and whether there's a conflict of interest. But otherwise G1 was a long time ago and Hasbro haven't bothered about G1 or G3 poses being used by fakie companies (actually, even G4 ones) over the past 20 years or so. I think a lot of those are more common in the US but I've seen quite a few here in the UK as well. Especially the purple and pink newborn babies and the sets with a mixture of G3 poses which is STILL AVAILABLE in at least one of my local toy stores alongside My Little Pony proper.

These aren't different from customs that people make from existing G1s and sell. It's not the same market really. I mean, if it bothered Hasbro, they will doubtless make that known - but these aren't really My Little Pony. They are tributes to My Little pony made by fans which all contributes to the continued popularity of the old stuff.

Hasbro release their own plushes but there are a lot of people on Etsy selling plushes of G1 and G4 characters, they don't sell one offs but are willing to make them to order. I admire the people who can do that, to be honest, but again, Hasbro don't seem to be concerned about those kinds of things. There's a lot of MLP images on things like redbubble which are using images based on Hasbro's intellectual property. Again, Hasbro isn't acting.

There's a certain amount of publicity generation from fan projects which helps the brand. And since HQG1C isn't directly aimed at or impacting G4 sales, it's not competing with Hasbro really. And the fact we're all petitioning TBD to make the Celestials instead of just hoping for a HQG1C release also proves that, deep down, Hasbro will still always get priority on things like this.

If the project were making repro rainbow ponies from G1 and selling them at an undercut price to the ones coming out, that would be different. These aren't real ponies. I think that's the big difference. Nobody is looking at them and seeing them as real ponies.

I have to say that I really like the fact they've played around with the flutter poses for the newest ones. It's actually one of the big reasons I want to get them. That and I *really* like the colour scheme of the red one. I am hoping they might be out in time for my birthday at the end of February.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2018, 09:41:08 AM »
I like them... but they are pretty pricey for what is essentially bootlegs.

Well they are making these for the pony community. You pay a lot for ponies who are painted and maybe even rehaired too. They had to recreate the moulds and hair them and stuff. That's pretty cheap for something like that.

They're too expensive for what you get, IMO.  There's a huge difference between a unique hand made custom and a mass produced bootleg.  That said I'm happy to see them exist all the same, since it means fewer original G1's ending up as custom fodder.  Would probably be much more interested if they were in the 10-15$ range.

This is hardly a mass produced bootleg. Why don't you two make remake pony moulds and order hair and see how much it costs you?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:43:08 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal