collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: HQG1C?  (Read 75246 times)

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
HQG1C?
« on: February 02, 2018, 01:25:26 PM »
Saw the term being thrown around. Took a look in My Little Wiki and as far as I understand, these are customs meant to evoke the G1 spirit (well, as far as I can see they would perfectly fit "original" G1s!) Could someone tell me more or provide more pics? The wiki is missing a lot of photos... Who is making these?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 09:31:58 AM by Dreamer »

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: HQG1C?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 02:14:39 PM »
It's a group project.  Those in charge of the group have done the leg work and found a factory  and are paying them to remake old g1 molds and then producing original characters using molds that look just like g1.  There have been several released thus far.  And now they are even moving on to "modified" g1 molds.  We will be getting a male unicorn this year hopefully.  They tend to cost $25-35 for the adults.  You can join the Facebook group.  Just search hqg1c collector customs.  Or take a look at Clipper's shop.

I'll post some pictures of mine when I get home later.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 02:38:40 PM »
I looove the HQG1C project.  (Stands for High Quality G1 Customs. ;) )  They fit in perfectly with my G1 collection and they are even talking about making things like a G1 rearing unicorn.  :happy:

You can find them for sale on Katz's pony shop.  There are some overseas pony storefronts selling them as well.  (Unfortunately the store names slip my mind at the moment.)

Of course I love vintage G1 ponies (duh! :P ), but what makes the HQG1C's so special to me is that they are NEW G1 style ponies, and they take me back to my childhood when I would eagerly run to the toy section when I was in a store to see the newest ponies, or soak up the latest My Little Pony commercials.

The designs are just spot-on too.  Like, the symbols don't look amateur-ish or overdone, the colors are pleasing, they look so legit.

Here are pictures of some of my HQG1C's!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Genie was the very first HQG1C.  She is so beautiful!  She fits right in with my Sparkle ponies.

^ This pony's official name is Kitty Love but I call mine Kittycorner because I like wordplay, lol!  Her favorite things are cats and watching movies with her sitting pals, Bubbles and Seashell.

Baby Batty Boo is a Halloween pony with cute little bat symbols.  As if that isn't cool enough, she also GLOWS IN THE DARK!   :accomplished:

I know I have more pictures somewhere, I just need to find them, ha ha.  :frolic:

BTW they are making a pair of Valentines sisters soon!  They are going to be in flutter molds, but without wings (like Scribbles and Dabbles.)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 03:21:55 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 03:42:34 PM »
I'm a fan of the HQG1Cs but I have to ask... how legal is it for that factory to produce old Hasbro molds? Could Hasbro find out and stop it?
(I'm not against the project, btw. I have Genie on her way to me, hehe...)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 04:14:42 PM »
The same level of legality as the Bubbles pose unicorn fakie or Crumpet fakies or things like that.  :)  Hasbro is pretty lenient with fan projects as long as they don't make themselves impossible to ignore (like the Mane6 "Fighting Is Magic" video game, where they stupidly entered a major video game convention) or damage their brand (like that really gross Princess Celestia Tumblr, ugh) or have the exact same name as a real pony (like that Mattel Bumblebee superhero doll, where Hasbro sued them because they have a Transformer named Bumblebee).

Like, to give some idea, there are over a dozen third party Transformers companies, and by "third party" I mean they are unlicensed but are busy making perfectly show-accurate Transformers characters.  Some of the robots are even . . .

G1 style HOT SOLDIERS, lol.  Whew, for a minute I thought that was Soundwave and Laserbeak!  What a relief to realize it's Soundtrack and Laser Bird.  :P

I have never heard of Hasbro going after a third party TF company, and they would be a looot easier targets.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 04:21:42 PM by LadyMoondancer »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 04:38:21 PM »
@Dreamer, the pony business in the Netherlands is one of the European based outlets who sell these and preorder them. Just if you want to avoid import duty from buying through the US, there's at least one EU option and possibly others. I know I got Dasher from the UK but I am not sure exactly how many others there are in this part of the world.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 04:46:07 PM »
I'm a fan of the HQG1Cs but I have to ask... how legal is it for that factory to produce old Hasbro molds? Could Hasbro find out and stop it?

I agree with LM.  There have been/are fakies being sold out there in actual stores using molds so close to Hasbro's that it makes no difference.  Many of them using names like "My Pretty Horsie" and even using actual Hasbro art.  If Hasbro isn't going to go after those companies who might actually be competing with Hasbro in the "cheap pony" quarter, I can't imagine they would go after HQGC which doesn't use any version of "My Little Pony" in its branding, doesn't use actual Hasbro characters, doesn't advertise and is really pretty limited in its scope in comparison to the average fakie maker. 

They do however seem to have a relationship with Ruth Bush who actually worked on g1 My Little Pony.  I'm going to assume that, of any of us, she would know if something was skirting too close to the line that Hasbro would take offense.  I'd also imagine that Hasbro is going to be a lot more concerned with items based off G4 than with anything G1.

Now on to the pictures I promised.  :D

Video reviews:

Puppy Love and Kitty Love  https://youtu.be/S40EWgdttqs

Mega Christmas Bundle  https://youtu.be/k4DMiQU3MBk

Pictures
Spoiler

and two of the "blanks"

Spoiler

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 04:49:06 PM »
The same level of legality as the Bubbles pose unicorn fakie or Crumpet fakies or things like that.  :)  Hasbro is pretty lenient with fan projects as long as they don't make themselves impossible to ignore (like the Mane6 "Fighting Is Magic" video game, where they stupidly entered a major video game convention) or damage their brand (like that really gross Princess Celestia Tumblr, ugh) or have the exact same name as a real pony (like that Mattel Bumblebee superhero doll, where Hasbro sued them because they have a Transformer named Bumblebee).

Like, to give some idea, there are over a dozen third party Transformers companies, and by "third party" I mean they are unlicensed but are busy making perfectly show-accurate Transformers characters.  Some of the robots are even . . .

G1 style HOT SOLDIERS, lol.  Whew, for a minute I thought that was Soundwave and Laserbeak!  What a relief to realize it's Soundtrack and Laser Bird.  :P

I have never heard of Hasbro going after a third party TF company, and they would be a looot easier targets.

Soundtrack and Laser Bird are their cousins.  :biggrin:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Bebopgroove

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Esoterous
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 04:54:35 PM »
Are alot of these limited? Or is there a place similar to Katz, where, if I was interested in getting Genie, I could order her? Sorry, I've been trying to educate myself on these, too.

My Wattpad | Flickr gallery (coming soon)
PSN: bebopgroove
Xbox: bebopgroove

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 05:01:53 PM »
I have two of the big brother ones right now, I am making payments on a few other ones right now.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 05:05:45 PM »
Yes . . . their hotter cousins, clearly.  :P

Sunset, the curls on your Dasher are stunning!  Like perfect candy canes!

I found more pics of my ponies . . .

Spoiler

I call this girl Baby Itty Bitty because she has a teething ring symbol.  Bitty . . . bit . . . bite . . . teething ring . . . Okay, never mind.  Anyway, she is cute, lol.  Seen here in the bonnet from one of the Baby Ponywear sets.

This is Celebration, one of my favorites!  I handmade the mask. I love his colors and his crazy rainbow tinsel. :)

This pony glows in the dark (REALLY strongly, I've known her to glow all night) so I called her Baby Night Flight.

Offline Sawkinator

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 05:31:20 PM »

I was wondering this, too. It's good to know it's not likely going to be shut down by Hasbro anytime soon  :lol:

God I want them all, but I really should save up some money for more important things first.  ^^; The red Valentine's one is especially tempting though, since as far as I know there aren't any G1 ponies that are actually red. (the closest you can get is like, dark pink or salmon  :huh:)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 06:09:26 PM »
I like them... but they are pretty pricey for what is essentially bootlegs.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 06:21:24 PM »
Who's the little white sparkle baby Sunset?! :lovey: :frolic:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 06:22:28 PM »
I like them... but they are pretty pricey for what is essentially bootlegs.

Well they are making these for the pony community. You pay a lot for ponies who are painted and maybe even rehaired too. They had to recreate the moulds and hair them and stuff. That's pretty cheap for something like that.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 07:13:36 PM by Leave a Whisper »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal