collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Lovestruck is a pony who doesn't really get much love  (Read 729 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Lovestruck is a pony who doesn't really get much love
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 04:30:23 PM »
First point - your comments were taken as derisive both by Unicorn and by myself, so clearly you could have phrased your question better. It definitely sounded to me like you were making fun of Uni because she doesn't personally like GOH. That's not cool. If you didn't mean it that way, maybe making the joke about a Tirek brushable at the end wasn't the way to go.

Onto the other point - G4 has several separate toy incarnations which are very much tied to one source material, the show. Other generations didn't do that. If you're looking at MLP in context of just G4, then all the different aspects that connect to FIM are relevant. GOH and Blind bags and such are obviously included in that context. But you began this thread by connecting Lovestruck to G3 Always and Forever and the connecting factor between all the generations of MLP is the brushable. It's personal preference what you include and what you don't, but the core of the MLP line since 1982 is a fantasy coloured equine with brushable hair.

The big problem with G4's toyline is the oversaturation of the mane 6 and the pushing out of other characters to the blind bags and the GOH, perhaps even Equestria Girls as well to some extent. I would really love to see Adagio as a brushable but I don't suppose it will ever happen.

In terms of other species, G1 has probably as wide a cast of supporting characters that could have been produced in the 1980s as G4 has now. The fact they aren't maybe shows the emphasis being on the toy and imaginative play into which the various storylines feed, rather than the storyline trying to enforce creative play. You'd think that we might have had the Moochick, or the witches from the movie. Even smooze of some kind perhaps...we had boglins in the eighties, and other weird stuff, so why not? But it didn't happen. I think it does come down to the fact the G1 toy line was really diverse in it's species. And yeah, there were attendants, but they were connected to ponies. Other than the pony friends (which in G4 your equivalent is probably Zecora) there's not much deviation into other creatures and there's very little into human characters as well (despite endless Megan releases). I don't really think it is that important to release those characters. They only become relevant if you're a collector wanting to display scenes from the animation, or a kid who wants to play a particular episode. I don't know how many kids do that, so maybe it's more of a collector concern? I don't know?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 05:38:25 PM »
First point - your comments were taken as derisive both by Unicorn and by myself, so clearly you could have phrased your question better. It definitely sounded to me like you were making fun of Uni because she doesn't personally like GOH. That's not cool. If you didn't mean it that way, maybe making the joke about a Tirek brushable at the end wasn't the way to go.

Onto the other point - G4 has several separate toy incarnations which are very much tied to one source material, the show. Other generations didn't do that. If you're looking at MLP in context of just G4, then all the different aspects that connect to FIM are relevant. GOH and Blind bags and such are obviously included in that context. But you began this thread by connecting Lovestruck to G3 Always and Forever and the connecting factor between all the generations of MLP is the brushable. It's personal preference what you include and what you don't, but the core of the MLP line since 1982 is a fantasy coloured equine with brushable hair.

The big problem with G4's toyline is the oversaturation of the mane 6 and the pushing out of other characters to the blind bags and the GOH, perhaps even Equestria Girls as well to some extent. I would really love to see Adagio as a brushable but I don't suppose it will ever happen.

In terms of other species, G1 has probably as wide a cast of supporting characters that could have been produced in the 1980s as G4 has now. The fact they aren't maybe shows the emphasis being on the toy and imaginative play into which the various storylines feed, rather than the storyline trying to enforce creative play. You'd think that we might have had the Moochick, or the witches from the movie. Even smooze of some kind perhaps...we had boglins in the eighties, and other weird stuff, so why not? But it didn't happen. I think it does come down to the fact the G1 toy line was really diverse in it's species. And yeah, there were attendants, but they were connected to ponies. Other than the pony friends (which in G4 your equivalent is probably Zecora) there's not much deviation into other creatures and there's very little into human characters as well (despite endless Megan releases). I don't really think it is that important to release those characters. They only become relevant if you're a collector wanting to display scenes from the animation, or a kid who wants to play a particular episode. I don't know how many kids do that, so maybe it's more of a collector concern? I don't know?
I apologize. I wasn't making fun of anyone. I'm just not eloquent in wording what I want to say, both online and off. So that's my bad. I'm sorry if it came across as that.

as you said, I'm aware that the connecting central of MLP is the brushable ponies, and I've followed the franchise long enough to know that. Even with MPP. That's the whole schtick. My connection with Lovestruck to A&F was aesthetics only. Color pallet, markings, limbs, and whatnot. And yes, it also upset me, as I said before, that the other ponies get pushed to blinds and the mane 6 get focused on in brushables, when every gen had had a variety of brushables.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 06:17:33 PM »
She's cute but I prefer her predecessor Always and Forever, as well as Wish-I-May and Wish-I-Might. I hardly ever do blindbags. I never cared for Truly, Heartthrob or Cadance.
perhaps Lovestruck is just Always' mini Me? A failed clone attempt? Sisters separated at birth? XD 
yeah, blinds aren't my thing, either (too frustrating. Even the FUNKO Mystery Mini's)

The Wish twins I still think of as celestials, even though they're Valentine ponies. Must be that darn nursery rhyme about wishing on stars.

That's really cute about May and Might!

Yes Lovestruck must be. AaF's adorably evil mini-minion! :silly: It makes perfect sense.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal