collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rehairing Needle Sizes  (Read 995 times)

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Rehairing Needle Sizes
« on: January 30, 2018, 02:03:15 AM »
So, I have several ponies who need new hair and I am going to take the plunge and place my first order. Having read several tutorials etc (as one does) it looks as if the rehairing tool is the way that I would like to go. BUT: What needle size/s would be suitable? Dollyhair.com recommends a size 7 needle. Do you all agree? And would this also work for baby ponies? I need to ship to South Africa so I cannot quickly change my mind and order another size due to the cost of the shipping. Any advice would be greatly appreciated  :)

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Rehairing Needle Sizes
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 12:32:50 PM »
If I remember correctly DH's needled used to be considered a bit too small to rehair a pony-sized plug.  Has she changed needles since, I dunno, 8 years ago? 

You can also always make your own - I buy a set of tapestry needles and clip them open.  That way I have different sizes for different projects. 

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 08:59:40 PM »
Or... you could try the needle - strong thread (I use Gutermann Extra Strong) - knotted hair method (as I do).

All I need is a doll needle - or any  long not-too-thick needle - just to thread my looped thread through.
The rest is me pulling the thread back through the hole with the knotted hair with it until the knot rests neatly against the plastic.
No need for glue + the hair is strongly attached + safe for styling/boiling.

Note: I make the knot in the middle of the strip of hair so I get the double-thickness once pulled through / no messy "roots".

OK it takes a wee bit longer to do, but while waiting for your overseas delivery of rehairing needles, give it a try!  :biggrin:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 12:31:59 AM »
Thank you Skeen and glitterball!

I have rehaired two ponies already using the knot method - but that took forever and just the thought of trying that on a baby pony scared me. Their heads are so small. I might still try the needle and thread method glitterball, but I need the hair you see; that is being ordered at the same time.

Skeen, what do you use to clip open the needles? And do you find that you need to sharpen them?

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 11:26:13 AM »
Geez, it has been a loooong time since I've clipped my own (I am lazy and preferred to buy from a shop on Etsy that no longer sells them).  I don't remember the brand, or where I stashed it, but it was a pair of cutting pliers.  I'm not sure they were specifically rated for cutting through steel needles, but they ere big enough that it wasn't a problem.  I never sharpened my own needles but I have a tool on my dremel that will do it.  The ones I bought were sharpened. 

EDIT - NEVER MIND, I LIED
The shop is open under a new name.  These are, hands down, the best needles I have ever used.  And I don't have to cut them, lol!
https://www.etsy.com/listing/124543519/sale-5pack-1-free-rerooting-rehairing?ref=shop_home_active_3

« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 11:28:52 AM by Skeen »

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 02:02:27 PM »
Thank you Skeen and glitterball!

I have rehaired two ponies already using the knot method - but that took forever and just the thought of trying that on a baby pony scared me. Their heads are so small. I might still try the needle and thread method glitterball, but I need the hair you see; that is being ordered at the same time.

Skeen, what do you use to clip open the needles? And do you find that you need to sharpen them?

Ah, NightGliderSA, I see!  :lol:
Those needles look impressive, Skeen!

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 12:29:36 AM »
Geez, it has been a loooong time since I've clipped my own (I am lazy and preferred to buy from a shop on Etsy that no longer sells them).  I don't remember the brand, or where I stashed it, but it was a pair of cutting pliers.  I'm not sure they were specifically rated for cutting through steel needles, but they ere big enough that it wasn't a problem.  I never sharpened my own needles but I have a tool on my dremel that will do it.  The ones I bought were sharpened. 

EDIT - NEVER MIND, I LIED
The shop is open under a new name.  These are, hands down, the best needles I have ever used.  And I don't have to cut them, lol!
https://www.etsy.com/listing/124543519/sale-5pack-1-free-rerooting-rehairing?ref=shop_home_active_3

That's marvelous, thank you! They even have them in 'MLP' size which makes it easy for me  :)

I placed my hair order yesterday; so excited I actually do not know what to do with myself. It is Very Sad.

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 07:35:54 PM »
I also cut my own needles. I just use wire cutters, a sink, and eye protection. Then I sand the needle with medium grit sandpaper just to smooth out the cut.  I don't use any specific wire cutters, just what I had laying around and I knew to be strong enough to cut guitar strings.

I feel that Dollyhair does recommend a smaller size than what I have used, however I have also found that small differences in needle sizes don't make a huge difference. It's kind of an experiment of what works for you, and what others recommend in the needles they sell, is a great starting point to try out. If you struggle to push the needle through, if the needle breaks often, and/or if you head starts to split, then your needle or plug size is too big, but pushing it to its size limit is where I try to aim because I like to create medium to thick hair.
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 08:48:12 AM »
Thank you aintnobuffalo, I appreciate the advice. It is great to know that I can make my own needles if necessary as getting supplies here can be a pest. I am definitely going to practice on some fakie ponies first though - splitting heads sounds terrifying!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal