collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: School of Friendship - New Playset? EDIT: Confirmed!  (Read 3892 times)

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
School of Friendship - New Playset? EDIT: Confirmed!
« on: January 29, 2018, 11:09:15 AM »
Hasbro just released this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vNuTaYwgeRw

First look at that school and I already said to myself: "Yup, that's gonna be the new large playset for this year."
The diverse cast really looks interesting though, all those species! :D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 08:35:37 AM by TornadoTwist »

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: School of Friendship - New Playset?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 11:26:27 AM »
And the mass brainwashing of all citizens of equestria begins...

Along with 'how can we insert Monster High into MLP without getting sued by Mattel...'
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 12:36:46 PM »
It got taken down... :( anyone have any screenshots?

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 01:15:25 PM »
Aw man I was too slow to see it.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline TornadoTwist

• Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 01:28:43 PM »
Here's the school:

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 02:13:26 PM »
Oooooh, pretty! Was it actual ponies in the video I missed?  Or Equestria girls?

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 02:53:46 PM »
Ah yes, I remember seeing this from those leaks with season 8 stuff. :P

Oooooh, pretty! Was it actual ponies in the video I missed?  Or Equestria girls?

It's gonna be a season 8 thing. There's gonna be many species. Ponies, griffons, many others.

I would certainly expect them to turn the school into a playset, don't see why they wouldn't! I wonder if the large amount of species attending the school could give us some potential for more species in the toys? Kinda like how we got Capper thanks to the movie.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 03:10:48 PM »
Hasbro, make this a you and take my money. The school looks very interesting. I wouldn’t mind there being a school like this in real life.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 03:22:57 PM »
Now if only we could make those new species into toys...

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 03:32:44 PM »
I hope there's a giraffe! The one giraffe we've seen in FiM has pony-like eyes, so they might be sentient.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 03:47:23 PM »
The school is more like a zoo IMO.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 05:34:32 PM »
Along with 'how can we insert Monster High into MLP without getting sued by Mattel...'

It's a school. Mattel doesn't have the copyright to the institution of knowledge friendship.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 04:35:58 AM »

It's a school. Mattel doesn't have the copyright to the institution of knowledge friendship.

No, but the basic concept of a school where everyone of different species can conveniently come together to learn about all kinds of things is suspiciously similar to the idea of rebooting and creating the new MH school concept. It's obviously not close enough to be the same as MH, which is why I said it the way I did, but Hasbro and Mattel have this ongoing relationship of how they can exploit markets of each other's toys without stepping on the trademarks and so on. A school within the pony context isn't new, but this kind of school is far more similar to the concept of Monster High (and even the way the promo clip was set up) than it has any kind of relationship to the schoolhouse of G1 either as a toy or as a setting for the Tales series.

Mattel also have the EAH school concept of recent years as well. It's not an accident in my opinion that Hasbro want to now extend the reach of their very successful (if lacking in fresh imagination of late) line into that area, because Mattel's products are fading there and there's maybe a gap in the market to exploit.

It's also not an accident in my view that the MLP movie involves ponies turning into sea creatures to save the world. Because Mattel did that with Scarrier Reef and Monster High. Again, different enough not to tread on the corporate toes, but too related in terms of theme and timing to be completely considered accidental.

Toy marketing is all about exploiting gaps left by the rival without compromising their copyright. Mattel did it with Barbie and the Rockers in the eighties and tried to do it with a more recent rock star line when Rainbow Rocks was out. Hasbro are just true to form in their ongoing product rivalry for the same share of the child market.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline TornadoTwist

• Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 05:18:43 AM »
Am I the only one who doesn't like the concept of a "school" like imaging being 8 years old or something:

"Yay I'm finally done with school for today! Let's watch some TV"
*the heroes are at school*

Personally I was more a fan of shows where they went exploring and going new places, even in town but having a series that played mainly in school. Nah not my thing... XD

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 05:45:02 AM »

Spoiler
No, but the basic concept of a school where everyone of different species can conveniently come together to learn about all kinds of things is suspiciously similar to the idea of rebooting and creating the new MH school concept. It's obviously not close enough to be the same as MH, which is why I said it the way I did, but Hasbro and Mattel have this ongoing relationship of how they can exploit markets of each other's toys without stepping on the trademarks and so on. A school within the pony context isn't new, but this kind of school is far more similar to the concept of Monster High (and even the way the promo clip was set up) than it has any kind of relationship to the schoolhouse of G1 either as a toy or as a setting for the Tales series.

Mattel also have the EAH school concept of recent years as well. It's not an accident in my opinion that Hasbro want to now extend the reach of their very successful (if lacking in fresh imagination of late) line into that area, because Mattel's products are fading there and there's maybe a gap in the market to exploit.

It's also not an accident in my view that the MLP movie involves ponies turning into sea creatures to save the world. Because Mattel did that with Scarrier Reef and Monster High. Again, different enough not to tread on the corporate toes, but too related in terms of theme and timing to be completely considered accidental.

Toy marketing is all about exploiting gaps left by the rival without compromising their copyright. Mattel did it with Barbie and the Rockers in the eighties and tried to do it with a more recent rock star line when Rainbow Rocks was out. Hasbro are just true to form in their ongoing product rivalry for the same share of the child market.

Yeah but why is that a bad thing? Toy companies have done this forever. Equestria Girls was ripping off MH. MH ripped off MLP with the Fright Mares. Now MLP has a school for friendship. But in that case it actually makes sense in context of the show (student becomes mentor, the M6 are teaching other creatures about their elements). In MH G2 on the other hand it made no sense to make Draculaura the one who had the idea to build a school because they had already established that pretty well in MH G1.
So a School of Friendship is pretty cool and a logical next step to me. And could be a better playset than the 57843th castle.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the concept of a "school" like imaging being 8 years old or something:

"Yay I'm finally done with school for today! Let's watch some TV"
*the heroes are at school*

:haha:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal