collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Gusty the Great!  (Read 2802 times)

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Gusty the Great!
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 05:44:58 PM »
Here's the one with great skates.  I loved this one cause Glory was the one who always wore that outfit in my herd.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 08:30:24 AM »
Which is the comic that had the main 6 talking about "The End of Flutter Valley" in the background of some panels? Issue 9 maybe? It was a Big McIntosh story. I liked that one :biggrin:

I love the G1 refs the comics sneak in. Have they ever tossed in any G3/G2 refs?

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 09:41:26 AM »
Here's the one with great skates.  I loved this one cause Glory was the one who always wore that outfit in my herd.

if that's not a reference to g1's opening, I don't know what is.

also- I still love that g1's were roller skating long before g3's were.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 09:42:24 AM »
Which is the comic that had the main 6 talking about "The End of Flutter Valley" in the background of some panels? Issue 9 maybe? It was a Big McIntosh story. I liked that one :biggrin:

I love the G1 refs the comics sneak in. Have they ever tossed in any G3/G2 refs?
Big Mac and the Art of Gazebo Repair.

still mad that g4 never showed the Flutter ponies since then. But at least they're proven canon (even by way of dialogue) in g4.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 09:51:15 AM »

I don't know about G2, but G3 Starsong made an appearance as a unicorn in one issue along with G1s Powder and Skyflier (and that's Moondancer's mane off to the side).

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2018, 11:25:42 AM »

still mad that g4 never showed the Flutter ponies since then. But at least they're proven canon (even by way of dialogue) in g4.

I'll never understand something being uncanon just because it didn't happen in the here and now. I'm not saying this against you kay. But I've heard other G4 fans say it and its dumb. Its like saying Lando Calrisian isn't canon unless he's in the new star wars.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 11:46:46 AM »
It just mean it officially exists in that universe. Lando Calrissian is canon to Star Wars, but the events of most of the books are not canon. All it means is that people writing content do or do not have to write around something existing. It can also be exciting to see new generations acknowledge older stuff.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2018, 12:03:48 PM »

I'll never understand something being uncanon just because it didn't happen in the here and now. I'm not saying this against you kay. But I've heard other G4 fans say it and its dumb. Its like saying Lando Calrisian isn't canon unless he's in the new star wars.

The G4 fandom in general is so much more tied to one particular storyline than any other generation, and so I think sometimes it's hard to break from that mentality into a polycanon based mindset which most G1 collectors have (or people who began with G1). G1 is not so globalised or universal, there are lots of different things and there is no overall canon. I think that promotes imagination, personally. But that's just my preference.

I also don't understand the obsession in the modern world with something being 'canon' or not. It's not specific to G4, you see this debate in anime and manga communities, with disputes as to whether 'filler' arc characters should be considered canon or not. I remember some complex disputes over one character who had been designed by the mangaka but only appeared in the animation in a filler arc. And the flipside - a character that appeared in a filler later got drawn into the manga.

I don't really get involved in those disputes since most of them are founded on translations of the manga and anime thus basically defeat their own point (anything translated is immediately not the work of the author and therefore dubious as canon) but it does spread into other fandoms.

I don't really understand why flutter ponies have to be in G4 canon anyway. They're G1, they supersede all G4 in terms of age thus they're the original "canon" if you like. It's as ridiculous as saying Pinkie Pie should be in G1 canon. Why? They're different. The only problem with using canon in G4 context against G1 is to imply that G1 ponies are worth nothing unless they're also acknowledged somehow in G4. And that's offensive. Otherwise I don't really understand why anything G1 should be in G4. On the contrary, G1 stuff being in G4 sort of suggests G4 can't do anything without drawing on G1 precepts, and that shouldn't be the case anyway. They OUGHT to be different. In my opinion, if you want all the G1 stuff in G4, what you really want is G1. *shrug*.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2018, 12:29:17 PM »
It just mean it officially exists in that universe. Lando Calrissian is canon to Star Wars, but the events of most of the books are not canon. All it means is that people writing content do or do not have to write around something existing. It can also be exciting to see new generations acknowledge older stuff.

It's still dumb. I've heard people say that a character isn't canon because they're not in the damn show or only showed as a toy or a past generation. If its a toy or character in a comic its canon or an earlier gen. This is a toyline not a show line that Later spawned toys.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2018, 12:49:41 PM »

It's still dumb. I've heard people say that a character isn't canon because they're not in the damn show or only showed as a toy or a past generation. If its a toy or character in a comic its canon or an earlier gen. This is a toyline not a show line that Later spawned toys.

It's ok, LAW. We'll just tell them Pinkie Pie and Dash aren't canon ponies because they aren't in G1. And see how quickly they explode.

You're right of course. Anything pony is canon to MLP. Nirvana ponies may not have been released everywhere but they still exist. Even the celestials who don't exist are part of pony 'canon'. It's all inclusive. Not exclusive. It all belongs somewhere :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 01:08:37 PM »
Well, sometimes a toyline (or whatever) can have a split canon.

An example of this would be G1 Transformers, where the events of the Marvel comics were pretty much completely different from the TV show.  Oh, the basics were the same (Autobots vs Decepticons) but for example in the cartoon Shockwave was so loyal to Megatron that he called him EVERY DAY FOR MILLIONS OF YEARS while Megatron was missing, while in the comics Shockwave arrived on Earth, decided Megatron didn't deserve to lead the Decepticons, kicked Megatron's butt, and took over.
Spoiler

But as Taffeta and others have said, that doesn't mean the comics or the cartoon weren't canon.  They were both canon to Transformers.   If something is officially published, it's canon.

That said, I don't really care much about what is canon anyway.  My headcanon is more important to me than "canon-canon", lol.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 01:11:35 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2018, 01:25:59 PM »

It's ok, LAW. We'll just tell them Pinkie Pie and Dash aren't canon ponies because they aren't in G1. And see how quickly they explode.

You're right of course. Anything pony is canon to MLP. Nirvana ponies may not have been released everywhere but they still exist. Even the celestials who don't exist are part of pony 'canon'. It's all inclusive. Not exclusive. It all belongs somewhere :)

I love your logic. :hug:

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2018, 03:38:46 PM »

I don't know about G2, but G3 Starsong made an appearance as a unicorn in one issue along with G1s Powder and Skyflier (and that's Moondancer's mane off to the side).

Oh my goodness I never saw this! Love it!! (Starsong makes a cute uni...)
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2018, 04:01:21 PM »
As far as MLP canon, I agree that everything officially licensed is canon, albeit the comics probably being semi-canon to the show.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2018, 04:24:28 PM »
Ack!  Powder and Skyflier!  Awesome!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal