collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: A G1 video game?  (Read 1983 times)

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
Re: A G1 video game?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 06:45:42 PM »
Personally I would not want to go the mobile game route. I know it's a popular choice for a lot of developers but most of those mobile games are platform runners or builders... which the builder games lose my attention fast due to how much you are limited.

You'd also need to watch out for copyright content, because while Hasbro has in the past claimed to have lost copyright to a lot of pony stuff, well we see what is being licensed out for G1 merch.

I play on PonyIsland and really it's not the kind of game most people will be looking for as it's more of a breeding game that is like but not like Hworse, little closer to Wajas but not really.

It's kind of hard to say what style of game would work for G1 MLP... other than going the normal route of builder or runner or collector games.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 06:58:49 PM »
 I want a gritty combat game with a dark story that makes players sad to encourage them to save Dream Valley.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 07:27:54 PM »
Personally I would not want to go the mobile game route. I know it's a popular choice for a lot of developers but most of those mobile games are platform runners or builders... which the builder games lose my attention fast due to how much you are limited.

You'd also need to watch out for copyright content, because while Hasbro has in the past claimed to have lost copyright to a lot of pony stuff, well we see what is being licensed out for G1 merch.

I play on PonyIsland and really it's not the kind of game most people will be looking for as it's more of a breeding game that is like but not like Hworse, little closer to Wajas but not really.

It's kind of hard to say what style of game would work for G1 MLP... other than going the normal route of builder or runner or collector games.
I think a community made town builder game might work well :) I usually stop playing builder games because they are limited too. The main reason they are limited though is that you have to pay to play. They just want your money, and to progress you could buy this pack of gems for $1.99 to speed up the building time of this building that you need to complete this hard quest! Especially with children's games like the MLP Gameloft game. Children nag their parents to spend money on the ponies in the game. They make it purposefully hard so you have to spend money and take the easy way out. I don't plan on making a profit on in-game purchases for this game, so it wouldn't be that way. I would hope to make it really engaging and completely free! Probably less use of the coins and gems system. (Seriously, like every town building game has coins as the lower form of money then gems as the better, expensive, and rare currency!) Also, my main idea isn't just town building, it has an adventure aspect where you have to rescue ponies and help them, like rescuing the Twinkle Eye ponies from their captors in the mines (G1 is great for this aspect because of how many times the ponies were almost or were actually captured, haha!) Plus you could just whip out your phone and then bam, ponies!

I am a little concerned about copyright issues too. Like I said, I don't plan on making this profitable. And I could give rights to Hasbro.  don't know if these things will work though so any tips are appreciated!

And if I can make this game I would definitely try to make it work with G1 MLP the best I can :) Right now I'm trying to make my idea different from a lot of other town building games. So far I have added the adventure aspect. Plus I want to make you able to interact with the ponies like being able to dress them up. I would also like to incorporate a level system for the ponies :) More about the ponies and their adventures rather than quests and buildings that generate money.

I want a gritty combat game with a dark story that makes players sad to encourage them to save Dream Valley.
Ooh, what if the smooze covered the land completely along with all the ponies? Then you would have to fight for Dream Valley...

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 07:48:33 PM »
Giving the rights to Hasbro isn't really feasible.   They want to control the direction of their content, so even if your game is awesome, 100% G-rated, etc, they're not going to just give someone else's work their stamp of approval without their involvement.

Just my two cents.  I don't want to discourage you, I just want to warn you, because if you contact them asking for their approval you are putting them in a position where they basically HAVE TO say no.

Some G4 fans were working on a MLP fighting game (Fighting Is Magic) and I'm sure Hasbro knew about it because it was very widely talked about.  But Hasbro is usually pretty chill about fan projects so they pretended not to notice it. But then the idiots showed a beta version at a big video game exposition.  Well, Hasbro couldn't pretend they hadn't noticed THAT, and they could lose the rights to their intellectual property if they don't defend it, so they sent a cease-and-desist and killed the game.

Sidenote, you might look into RPG Maker.  It's a classic top-down RPG engine, and you can make your own graphics to display on it and such.  (I want to say Undertale was developed on it . . . ?)  Probably a lot easier than starting from scratch.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 08:13:58 PM »
Yes let's defeat the Smooze! Either defeat parts of it, beat it back slowly, or find key items to destroy it to complete the game. And a collecting aspect would be neat, though not something that suggests collecting everything. More like "I've seen THESE ponies".

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 08:18:59 PM »
I'm majoring in computer science and know multiple languages!  Unfortunately for everyone though, I am a busy college student so I probably would have a hard time actually getting around to making a game any time soon.  I have certainly kicked the idea around for making a free fanmade My Little Pony RPG just to practice my skills.  Nothing that would actually grab Hasbro's attention ideally, haha.  I always liked the idea of a top-down RPG with loads of recruitable characters you can recruit through countless methods depending on which pony it is.  I can dream!

Offline BerylBreeze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2018, 10:34:39 PM »
Are you talking about if they had a G1 video game back in the day they were relevant, or if one could be made now?

A couple years ago I saw a clip of a racing fangame with G1 ponies and a very stock-looking environment, I can't seem to find it now D:

Offline Safflower

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 07:00:04 AM »
Are you talking about if they had a G1 video game back in the day they were relevant, or if one could be made now?

A couple years ago I saw a clip of a racing fangame with G1 ponies and a very stock-looking environment, I can't seem to find it now D:
I'm talking about if one could be made now :) That racing game seems fun!

I'm majoring in computer science and know multiple languages!  Unfortunately for everyone though, I am a busy college student so I probably would have a hard time actually getting around to making a game any time soon.  I have certainly kicked the idea around for making a free fanmade My Little Pony RPG just to practice my skills.  Nothing that would actually grab Hasbro's attention ideally, haha.  I always liked the idea of a top-down RPG with loads of recruitable characters you can recruit through countless methods depending on which pony it is.  I can dream!
Awesome! If you ever have the time and you still want to make one, I will definitely be around! :biggrin:

Offline Safflower

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2018, 06:01:56 PM »
Yes let's defeat the Smooze! Either defeat parts of it, beat it back slowly, or find key items to destroy it to complete the game. And a collecting aspect would be neat, though not something that suggests collecting everything. More like "I've seen THESE ponies".
Yeah! You could have a party with different ponies that all have unique abilities that fight off the smooze. You would have to keep their morale up and take care of them, all for the good of Ponyland! You could visit all the different species of non pony things and ask for help and items in exchange for your help. Maybe you would have to defeat the witches who created to smooze too!

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2018, 08:43:34 PM »
Non pony things! Because g1 had lots of magical critters and people.

Offline Safflower

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2018, 07:45:23 PM »
For those of you who want an RPG, I think I know how to implement it with the town building idea! Instead of just fighting pony captors, you could fight all the villains in the various canons along with pony captors, etc. You could go through the stories in the comics, back cards, animation, etc and play as the ponies. Then you can go back to your town, build some new buildings, maybe grow some flowers. Quests would probably be these RPG elements. While in Ponyland, you could receive a quest to go and fight this enemy. Maybe you would need to enlist the help of someone non pony like the Moochick. I also plan to make areas like where the Moochick lives visitable.You could choose to start or save it for later. Then you could choose your favorite ponies to save the day! This also solves the issue of how I wanted to use levels but didn't know how :) Levels would determine how well ponies can use their abilities, or maybe something else, not sure yet. Ponies could level up by playing at the show stable.

For getting new ponies, there would be a separate area for those quests. You could begin once you receive them or wait until later. There would also be normal quests like getting this building or leveling this specific pony up too.

I've also though about which playsets do what and areas. The waterfall would probably be the area for the sea ponies and other aquatic non pony creatures. Flutter Valley will probably exist. Areas in the comic and tv show will exist too in a separate area maybe and will have non pony characters living in them. Don't know what to do about the Dream Castle. The pretty parlor could be used for dressing ponies up and the perm shop could be for hair.

What do you guys think? (Still looking for someone who can code this!)

Offline Safflower

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 07:31:47 AM »
Any opinions? Still looking for someone who wants to code this btw :)

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 01:59:05 PM »
Yeah, Minecraft is pretty great :) I would like to have the game not on Minecraft because some people just don't have it. Anyway, here is a more detailed explanation of my main town building idea:
Spoiler
My Pretty Pony would welcome you into the world like Prof. Oak. You would then be launched into a tutorial. You would already have the Collectors Pose ponies in your Ponyland town. They would give you the tutorial and explain how they need help because Tirac used the Rainbow of Darkness to trap the ponies and land in darkness. Each one would have a building/house that you would need to build to learn the basics. Building comes from resources you could get from mini games based on locations from the various canons. After you build things and get the town running, you could clear your first patch of darkness and find some Year Two ponies. You then move through the years of G1 with My Pretty Pony's help when you need it. Eventually you will have a bustling Ponyland with lots of different locations, mini games to play to get lots of stuff, lots of different ponies and types of buildings, and other stuff too. Building would include playsets like the Pretty Parlor where you could dress us your ponies and the show stable where you could level up your ponies and other buildings too like gardens and farms. Of course, these are just details that can be changed! Just a more detailed explanation :)

For mini-games, you could have a few versions of Memory. I wonder how the old G1 board games would translate to computer play? Could encourage multi-player that way. Building virtual versions of the G1 puzzles could be good, too - maybe have more puzzles behind an unlock feature? :awake:
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline Safflower

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2018, 04:32:41 PM »
Ooh, online versions of actual G1 games could be fun! That would be a nice test because it would both be actual G1 but in digital form. And multiplayer would be cool!

A few mini games for ponies:
Cotton Candy - foraging for flowers
Blossom - growing flowers
Seashell - hunting for seashells
Applejack - apple picking

Offline Matcha

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • pony deviantart!!
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2018, 08:32:57 PM »
A G1 video game would be so cute done in a pixel RPG style... (like Earthbound)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal