collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Adapting the G1 comics  (Read 356 times)

Offline Deep Purple Crystal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • "Jewels! Jewels in your eyes!"
    • View Profile
Adapting the G1 comics
« on: January 28, 2018, 05:27:09 AM »
Having recently won a Baby Lucky (with comb) in an auction (for a steal-worthy price of 5.50 GBP) and considering picking up a G1 Spike to complete the bromance, I have to wonder - what if several of us in the community banded together to adapt the G1 comics into video format?

By which I mean:
- Characters played by their toy counterparts.
- Voice actors dubbing over the footage for narration/dialogue.
- Manually constructed sets (think Thomas on a lower budget).
- Possibly background music.

Obviously, some of the characters would be difficult to source/film (particularly the humanoid cast, such as Wanda the Witch, the Know-It-All Gnomes, Prince High and Mighty, Wizard Wantall, etc.), but it would certainly be an interesting project. Anyone willing to comment?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to LordBlumiere and Corona for the amazing Masquerade and Baby Sugarcake in my sig!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Adapting the G1 comics
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 07:46:41 AM »
That could be cute.  ^.^ Although I would find the lack of articulation on the ponies may limit us when trying to portray expressions.

Sig by Starscout <3

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Adapting the G1 comics
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 08:30:39 AM »
Many of the comic stories use stock poses though, at least the early ones. Not so much the later ones.

I am not sure about this actually. I mean, this was the biggest part of pony lore for me growing up and I love that someone (forget who) has done really good spoken word stories on Youtube using the format of the UK listen and read books from the 1980s. But animating the comics...with such a wide cast of characters...and settings...I don't know that it would be really that practical.

Also, as a UK person who grew up with these and who holds them very dear, I would worry about how some of the aspects would be interpreted.

For example, UK pony names are integral to the comic. And it wouldn't be ok to just use BBE babies to fill in Lofty and Shady, because they didn't exist here. Plus there are several ponies who are illustrated according to their prototype image. Baby Splashes is fine, there is a purple haired version of her - but what about the more masculine Baby Schoolbag, or the unicorn Singing Pocket, or the two dance and prance ponies with wings. They might not seem important details but honestly, those things are memories from my childhood, weird stuff and all. Changing them out or putting a US pony or name in where they weren't would for me be trampling on my childhood in a big way.

And then there are stories where the comics get the name plain wrong. How do you fix that? O.o.

Ultimately, though, the sheer number of stories, characters and settings makes it prohibitive in my opinion. That and the very expansive wide cast of characters and scenes you'd have to consider. Forests, mountains, undersea worlds with King Neptune...and the problem of manifesting magic tricks like turning a diving board into a helter skelter that runs backwards...to do it properly would cost a fortune not only in pony cast but in set dressing.

Honestly, I'm not in favour. The spoken word reading of the stories are one thing, but I think these are comic stories and should be left as such.

These stories are really precious to my childhood and most of my pony memories are tied up somehow in them. I'm speaking honestly from a very personal perspective, but I would really feel like my childhood was being meddled with if corners were cut from the original stories just to make it possible to use plastic ponies to reenact the tales.

Now, if someone was to do animated versions in terms of drawings and such, keeping true to the characters, names and settings in the comic stories, I wouldn't mind that. But I don't think it's possible to recreate what was so important to my childhood in a live action format with physical ponies and stop motion. Because the comic characters did things that physical ponies can't do.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal