collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What do you think about the 'evolution' of G4 toys?  (Read 2068 times)

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think about the 'evolution' of G4 toys?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 12:20:32 AM »
Eh, even if I don't like the G4 design direction in general, I must admit the earlier toys were kinda cute (the benefit of a wide gap between the eyes!). And while I appreciate the more dynamic poses in the newer releases, I dislike their heads, they look like over-inflated balloons  >_<

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 01:00:15 PM »
Wow, surprised to hear that people have been getting pearly ponies with bad hair.  My pearly Starlight Glimmer has fantastic hair, one of the best heads of hair I've seen on a G4.

My Pretzel's was oily. DD struck out with TS, Cherry Berry and Coloratura in that they have nice hair.

My pearly Cherry Berry has awful hair, easily the worst out of my (admittedly small, ~a dozen) selection of G4's. :( 
Second worst is a zap-code Fluttershy with coarse tail that doesn't match colour wise to her perfectly normal quality mane.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2018, 03:30:31 PM »
Wow, surprised to hear that people have been getting pearly ponies with bad hair.  My pearly Starlight Glimmer has fantastic hair, one of the best heads of hair I've seen on a G4.

My Pretzel's was oily. DD struck out with TS, Cherry Berry and Coloratura in that they have nice hair.

My pearly Cherry Berry has awful hair, easily the worst out of my (admittedly small, ~a dozen) selection of G4's. :( 
Second worst is a zap-code Fluttershy with coarse tail that doesn't match colour wise to her perfectly normal quality mane.

I had to shampoo a couple of my pearlies but they're all right now. Mostly the hair on those seems to be OK though.

I have a truly awful Pinkie Pie which lives on my Dad's PC as a joke between us, it's sort of his pony now as he keeps playing around with her - but she looks like she put her hair in a shredder. And that was what she was like from new.

My Fashion Style Photo Finish...has half of her tail cut halfway, so it's not a full length tail all round. This from box. She was on clearance so I am not so fussed but that's poor QC. Poor pony. Ribbon Wishes came up better. She actually has nice hair although her tail could probably use washing too...

It seems hit and miss.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2018, 03:46:13 PM »
I've conditioned Cherry Berry twice since I got her - while it did help a little,  you can still see how poor quality her hair is even on display.  It just looks cheap - coarse and thin.  It's peculiar how hit-and-miss the quality is.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2018, 03:50:10 PM »
I've conditioned Cherry Berry twice since I got her - while it did help a little,  you can still see how poor quality her hair is even on display.  It just looks cheap - coarse and thin.  It's peculiar how hit-and-miss the quality is.

Looking at mine it seems like Pretzel was the one I had most trouble with as her hair is tied back. They all have ok hair, though. My Cherry Berry is fine, Coloratura and Starlight Glimmer are very nice hairwise. I can't tell with the wave 3 ones as the ones I have here are on card. My loose ones back home have funky hairstyles but I think it's olny the blue one - Sapphire Joy? that has some hair quality issues. I just haven't dealt with them yet.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2018, 03:59:11 PM »
Well well... Hard to say.
I've bought some as fandom item, because I do LOVE the cartoon.
But as toy, well... they aren't my thing, saddly. And don't speak of the accessories/playsets, they are awfull. Really cheap plastic, really cheap paint, really cheap design... they're lacking of charm. Simply.

For me, the G1 and G2 where the best gen, both for the beauty line of the ponies and the accessories. G3 did quite well. But actual ones sounds too plastic plastic. I'm quite happy with the new mold as FINALLY the ponies where doing somethin' else than standing and looking like clones.

Actually, the toys that I thinks haven't lost any quality, charm and care in the whole brand are the Sylvanians. They are so lovely, I would like the same kind of care given in MLP. Like in the G1 days.

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2018, 04:27:59 PM »
I have Coloratura and she has nice hair too . . . do not have Pretzel or Cherry Berry, I think.  I wonder if hair color plays a part too . . .

Twist / Twistaloo has a tail that's a different color than her mane, and made of a different hair type.  Once I noticed . . . she had to go . . .
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2018, 04:29:56 PM »
=

Twist / Twistaloo has a tail that's a different color than her mane, and made of a different hair type.  Once I noticed . . . she had to go . . .

Because that's absolutely not a name that's going to get you bullied in school :P.
(I admit, I had to google her to find out who she was >.>)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2018, 04:31:46 PM »
The sad thing is that I really liked her in the show (she had a lisp and I think maybe braces?  I might be misremembering that though) and a cute symbol . . . But that mismatched tail and mane.  I just couldn't unsee it once I noticed it.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2018, 04:49:04 PM »
I can't tell with the wave 3 ones as the ones I have here are on card. My loose ones back home have funky hairstyles but I think it's olny the blue one - Sapphire Joy? that has some hair quality issues. I just haven't dealt with them yet.
Part of the reason I've kept my wave 3 pearlies on card is because of the hair quality. i don't wanna mess with a straightener to handle Meadow Flower's frizz.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Cadence

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2018, 12:37:03 AM »
My pearly Starlight Glimmer's body is super oily, but her hair is nice. Seems like there is a huge mixed bag QC-wise.

I liked the colours, variety, and themes of the first few years of G4. (I'll overlook the head/body colour mismatch issue here.) After the Crystal Empire year (crystallized eyes), the themes got a bit weird. Tacky colours/tinsel added to the mane 6's hair, tacky decorations added to their bodies, transparent bodies with glitter/water in them... the gimmicks were creative but the creativity should have been spent on creating more non-mane 6/non-show pony designs instead.
 || Sig by LunaCat || :fox: :heart:

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2018, 01:01:04 AM »
Oh the discussion about the Pearlies is interesting!

I have four of them... half of them have possibly the best hair out of any of my G4s (Coloratura and Pretzel). It is suuuper silky smooth and shiny and all around gorgeous.
The other two have hands down the worst, most disgusting hair I have ever seen! (Sapphire Joy and Meadow Flower). Rough, coarse, and even knotted, right out of the package. Even conditioning them several times has not helped one bit :(

That is definitely the saddest thing to me about the G4 line- the dodgy hair quality. I mean, isn't half the point of MLP.. the hair? If I didn't care about hair I'd just buy the Funkos or whatever. >(

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2018, 01:33:00 AM »
All of my pearlies had horribbly dry, frizzy hair. The factory ones more so than the packaged ones. But I had to give them all a conditioner/hot iron treatment. It took forever but the heat finally managed the fibres.
The earlier G4s had nice hair but some of them had head/body mismatch or two tailholes or the tailhole placed too low or not centered.
The Playskool ponies came dirty out of a sealed package and I had to treat them with nailpolish remover.
Just bad quality control all around. My G3s have the best quality out of all the ponies I own.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2018, 02:41:24 AM »
My loose wave 3 pearlies are probably from factory as my sister got them for me for my birthday last year when it was practically impossible to get them any other way. I haven't messed with their hair too much but it doesn't seem too terrible. She got some herself in this same purchase and if any of them ever need hair styling she gives them to me to do - the hair of those seems ok too. I had to brush out her Pinkie Pie before Christmas and the hair looked rough but was actually fine, just messy. It's really only the wildness of Sapphire Joy that makes me think she might need some work, not so much rough or dry hair. One of the other two has a beautiful 1980s big hairdo so I've left her that way. It's not Meadow Flower, it's the other one whose name eludes me. Seaswirl?

When they were here before Christmas briefly I got the set of four on card (with AJ) and the hair LOOKS ok but I haven't been able to test it. My Redheart is also on card still. Otherwise I only have non-mane 6 ones that i mentioned before (store bought) and no major problems but I did also feel like the body was a bit oily on Pretzel and Cherry Berry I think it was. No problems at all with the 2 from wave 1.

I don't know what ratio of ponypeople have pearlies from factory/ebay loose rather than from store because the distribution of these was a bit wonky. That might have an influence on QC in some cases - but actually, the QC of all of mine seems pretty good, even the loose ones. As opposed to a couple of my store bought other ponies, whose QC is not so great. I actually have a couple of clearanced Fluttershies with the wings you can hang decorations on that not only look completely different but have issues in pack that ought to not have passed QC...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2018, 04:20:58 AM »
My masquerade Sunset Shimmer has a terribly thin tail that looks like QC had the day. off the day she was made.  It has very little of one color in it and what is there is just a few strands.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal