collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What do you think about the 'evolution' of G4 toys?  (Read 2034 times)

Offline YasuSuga

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Beddy Bye Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Friendship Garden
What do you think about the 'evolution' of G4 toys?
« on: January 27, 2018, 02:58:26 PM »
Hi!
Well, what I wanted to discuss is about G4 changes In toy designs, quality, and the molds too.
I personally think that they did the best ponies and accessories around 2010-2013, I've noticed that the accesories in 2014 toys onwards are way less detailed and original (Even recycled) and one thing that reeeeaaaaaallly but really bothers me is the new eyes. Some have a little shine to them but I think that from the line Explore Equestria onwards they stopped doing that little shine they had. I still ask myself why did they decided to change Fluttershy's eye shape, the original one was perfect :/, I think the new Fluttershy eye shape matches Coco Pommel way better.
About the new molds, actually I think they're super cute but I still prefer the older ones, the only thing I would change from them are the barely detailed eyes and those teeny tiny legs they have that makes them have that super awkward gap, but other than that, they're awesome, and I really love the new unicorn horns they decided to go for!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: What do you think about the 'evolution' of G4 toys?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 03:07:29 PM »
Overall, I'm most happy with both the earliest year of G4 and the reboot line as a whole.
The earlier lines had much more variety of characters, which to me is a big component of MLP. Once we sunk into the trend of re-releasing the Mane 6 with slight variations, I started to thirst for more pose variety. The new models allow for more dynamic poses to be had, which I'm very grateful for.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 03:11:25 PM »
I don't think I have a wide enough selection of them from various years to say!  Like, I do have quite a few G4s, but they tend to be in clumps from years / sets I really like, like the pearly ponies.

The very first sets had some of my favorite designs, but really bad head-body mismatches.

I definitely like the newer molds better than the previous ones.  They're way more dynamic.  I do agree that the back legs look awkward, though.  And yes, the new unicorn horns are GREAT.  Finally, their horns are longer than their ears!!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 03:38:27 PM »
I think it's been doing alright. I do of course miss the toy exclusive characters we'd get in G4's first years, but I think later pre-reboot lines had more interesting gimmicks (IMO), such as Rainbow Power and the Pearlized Ponies (LOVE pearly ponies of all kinds). Granted, it also has gimmicks I can't find myself caring about, such as the ones with ribbons in their manes. That's a gimmick I can't see myself buying unless I find them while thrifting.

I really like the reboot G4s/G4.5s a lot! They feel much more expressive than the older G4s since they've given us a wider variety of poses. While we still have a lot of ponies in plain standing poses (particularly in sets), it's nice to finally have a bit more variety apart from the basic pose and the one hoof up pose that earlier G4 had.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 03:57:06 PM »
I'm not worried about the accessories although the change from actual boxish packaging to pony on card, while less environmentally unfriendly, suggests some cost cutting. I have more issues with bad quality hair. And I don't like the new poses pretty much at all.

I am fine with Fluttershy's eye change just because my pet Fluttershy is a newer version one and I don't care much about the show characterisation. But I like best the times when there's more diversity of character. Most of my brushable collection are not mane 6, but it does seem to be mane six and then a handful of other characters who are also getting run into the ground now (yes, Cheerilee. I am looking at you).
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 04:47:09 PM »
The movie line has a semi-decent amount of variety, yet Hasbro's distribution see-saws.

I don't ever recall seeing a lot of variety character wise.

Design wise the reboots are awful. It's like Hasbro heard me say the g4s were beaky and they made them even beakier out of spite.

Maybe if I start chanting horsey, horsey, horsey! They'll make em horsier looking?

However, the movie ponies, or at least the ones I've owned have much nicer hair. It's fuller and ungreasy.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 04:50:58 PM »
The movie line has a semi-decent amount of variety, yet Hasbro's distribution see-saws.

Nothing new there.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 05:08:15 PM »
I just know that I never liked the general toy head shape, with the bulbous foreheads, but the shapes based on the cartoon are fine.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 05:44:50 PM »
I have to say that I am not to fond on the G4 ponies. I have tried to like them when they first came out. Then when it was the same thing over and over I was over it! I do have a few of the newer ones, but they still don't do much for me! :( Time for something new Hasbro and please go back to the G1 or G3 kind of ponies!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 05:48:04 PM »
Design wise the reboots are awful. It's like Hasbro heard me say the g4s were beaky and they made them even beakier out of spite.

Maybe if I start chanting horsey, horsey, horsey! They'll make em horsier looking?

However, the movie ponies, or at least the ones I've owned have much nicer hair. It's fuller and ungreasy.
"Beaky" is such a funny way to describe them. I totally see it!  :silly:
The hair quality of the new ponies still kills me. The pearly ponies have such dreadful hair, and although it's improved since the reboot it still isn't going great.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 06:04:31 PM »
The hair quality of the new ponies still kills me. The pearly ponies have such dreadful hair, and although it's improved since the reboot it still isn't going great.

The quality of hair seems to be nicer with ponies that come in sets, for some reason. My TRU Friendship Festival set ponies have such lovely silky soft hair, but every 4.5/reboot pony I've got that's a single has very awful frizzy hair. Not sure why this is the case.

The hair on the new EqG dolls is wonderful, I wish they'd fix the hair of the single ponies. :huh:

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 06:48:17 PM »
In a word, Disappointed.

I realize that there's no way they can be quality toys given their price compared to what a dollar is worth these days, but everything about G4 makes me less than thrilled with the direction Hasbro's taken.  I have serious concerns about how bad the eventual problems are going to be given that so many G4's have had issues from day one - mismatch, stickiness, poor hair, etc. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 06:50:33 PM »

"Beaky" is such a funny way to describe them. I totally see it!  :silly:

It's accurate is what it is. There isn't a single hooved animal on this earth past or present with a face like that. Makes me wanna whack Hasbro designers over the head with a breyer and say, This is what a horse looks like dummy!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 06:54:29 PM »
Wow, surprised to hear that people have been getting pearly ponies with bad hair.  My pearly Starlight Glimmer has fantastic hair, one of the best heads of hair I've seen on a G4.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 06:59:31 PM »
Wow, surprised to hear that people have been getting pearly ponies with bad hair.  My pearly Starlight Glimmer has fantastic hair, one of the best heads of hair I've seen on a G4.

My Pretzel's was oily. DD struck out with TS, Cherry Berry and Coloratura in that they have nice hair.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 08:04:47 PM by Leave a Whisper »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal