collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Xenotropos Customs Masterpost - Update: 28/01/2018  (Read 719 times)

Offline Xenotropos

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • the blindbag addiction is real
    • View Profile
Xenotropos Customs Masterpost - Update: 28/01/2018
« on: October 26, 2017, 08:57:02 PM »
From here on all the ponies I customize will be posted in this thread, to keep from messin' up the joint  :blush:

Mostly I do blindbag customs.  My personal goal is to have a blindbag to represent every pony in G4 Ponyville, and a few other characters too.  This is gonna take a while (as in years).  You might wanna grab a snack.  And even if I don't succeed I'll have fun trying.

New stuff will be added to this thread at the bottom of the list as I go, so please check the last entry for the latest update.

Anyway to start things off, I bought a set of "cake toppers" representing characters from the recent movie.  They were a lot smaller on the whole than I imagined, but a couple looked like knockoffs from official toys.

One of them was a Songbird Serenade figure (or as I call her, "Sia Pony").  She was a little thinner in the legs than your standard blindbag pony, but she was the right height.  The modeling was nice but the painting....it was in a slightly sticky rubbery yellow, over black pvc plastic of all colours.  I dunno how food safe that paint was, let alone that sticky feeling it had gave me the willies.  So I took as much off as I could with acetone and gave her a new paint job.

Please excuse the quality of my cruddy phone camera.

Songbird before:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Songbird after:

I have to admit her cutie mark could be better, but I'm still not used to painting hearts that tiny!

More will follow.  Eventually.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 10:43:42 AM by Xenotropos »

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
Re: Xenotropos Customs Masterpost
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 09:09:47 PM »
She looks lovely! I know how annoying that sticky paint stuff can be. Not to mention scary to think of what it could be. She looks much happier with a better paint job done by you. Can’t wait to see what comes next!
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Xenotropos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 08:21:02 PM »
Added two more customs to the Nerd Herd.

First up is Cheerilee.  I learned a LOT about mixing colours from this one.  There is an existing Cheerilee blindbag, but it's a recolour of the Pinkie Pie shape - it looks to me more like her younger 80's self.  I messed up on the cleanup of her back leg.  Rushed it I guess.  So here's my attempt.

And secondly, Button Mash.

I gave him only a little smile, as if you're seeing it head on.  His mane stripe is more visible in real life.  I need to start using a better camera.  The propeller doesn't move  :( and seems a bit tall in retrospect.

I learned tons while doing these.  Into the Nerd Herd they go!

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 09:53:19 PM »
I love the button mash! He looks happy even from the side. And learning is a valuable thing. That cheerilee has served you well in terms of experience.
At my school, I’m the co president of the sci-fi and fantasy club. Or as we all like to call it, the nerd herd!
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Xenotropos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 10:41:39 AM »
This.  This is what happens when you decide that you're too good for the official version and try to out-Hasbro Hasbro.

So, there's this pony on the show that the animators call Golden Harvest and the fans call Carrot top.  Of course there's a blindbag pony for this character and it looks like this:

It's a Pinkie Pie recolour.  And I managed to get one in a bulk shipment, so that's one more pone to scratch off the Ponyville Project and all is good, right?

Of course, not to me it isn't.  Here's the show character:

So I just have to "fix" this by making a custom one. 
Let the mistakes.... begin!

First of all, I started with a purple clear Twilight blindbag and didn't bother to use a white undercoat of paint.  As a result I had to layer on the coloured paint thicker than I'd like to in order to cover the purple.  As it's transparent any thin areas let light into the horse and literally glow through to the other side of the figure.

Second, look at the mane on that cartoon horse.  That's some non-Euclidean geometry right there.  Real "At the Mountains of Maneness" stuff (10 internet points to whoever gets that reference).  I *kinda* sorted part of it out.  And I also kinda didn't.

And again I need to work on making my cutie marks smaller.  And more accurate.

The small plastic horse learning curve continues to fly upwards.
The next project is the three flower ponies: Rose, Daisy and Lily.
If anyone wants to sacrifice a chicken to Celestia for me, I'd appreciate it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal