collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Perhaps an odd question for a collector's site, but... minimalism anyone?  (Read 3114 times)

Offline 01mlplover

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Perhaps an odd question for a collector's site, but... minimalism anyone?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 03:27:02 PM »
Ive been trying for so long! What makes me come to a standstill is when i come across something new i bought and thought i had to have at the time but then months later, to late to take back, i decide that i don't want/need it but hate to get rid of it and waste money. Ugh. So i have all this stuff sitting around that im just not sure what to do with. A lot of it goes to eBay but not everything.

Offline rearing_palomino164

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Share a smile at least once a day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2018, 07:42:34 AM »
I really want to start living more like a minimalist. My little family is not a hoarder by any means, but we do have a lot of stuff that we do not ever use that sits around and collects dust. Same with having too many clothes and just knick knacks in general. I've gotten SO much better at only buying things that we need like healthy foods or replacing an appliance that has gone out that we used a lot. I've been trying to save larger amounts of cash to be able to afford bigger items that I would like and use like a laptop. But it's very hard to switch gears and just start getting rid of everything and not buying things just because I want it. I've stopped collecting everything I used to collect and find that I'm happier not worrying about where I'm going to display it all and not having enough space. It's a work in progress.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2018, 02:13:36 PM »
I could never be a 'true' minimalist, but I have been thinking about doing a really in-depth declutter.  I frustrate myself because I naturally accumulate clutter, yet at the same time am bothered by it.  Even with my ponies, which I love, I get stressed out when I get 'too many'. 

Even if they aren't visible, even if they're stored away neatly in boxes or something, it's like . . . "Okay, I love you all individually but I don't want SO MANY of you."  I'd really like to get to the point where I could have my entire collection confined to one bookcase.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline SwirlyWhirly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Born in the year of the My Little Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 02:59:33 PM »
I've been thinking about not buying anything new I don't actually need for a year and see how that feels. Except for my little ponies. I'm thinking it could be my one indulgence. No new clothes, no new home decor, nothing unneccessary, except for ponies.  :lol:

Offline Saber-Toothed Crow

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
It's something I can appreciate, though I dont know that I could ever be a true minimalist. I am working on downsizing and selling off parts of my many collections. It was just starting to feel overwhelming. I love stuff... but I just had so much of it, I was losing appreciation for each individual item. It all kind of lumped together onto one giant mass of 'stuff'.
My ponies are all I really collect anymore, and even then I'm selective of what I buy.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks Jennifer2004 for my sig and Shaiyeh for my avi! ~formerly Crowpriest~

Offline PoserBeachball

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
We have a tiny house so no room for too much stuff, but neither of use can bear to part with things that make us smile/remind us of special occasions (though I can ditch anything I have no 'connection' with which is why my collecting is a bit piecemeal rather than completionist).  My ponies make me smile so they stay.

To paraphrase William Morris - 'keep only that which is useful, or what you believe to be beautiful'  - which I think is very important to remember, joy and beauty are very much a necessary bit of life, however minimalist that life is.

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Recently got rid of 99% of my things, my house, furniture, pretty much all of my possessions except my clothes ... was needing a new start it felt amazing. Lighter. Didn’t do it with minimalism in mind but it’s good to release that tie to material objects.

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
I'm not exactly a minimalist but kind of close. I can probably list all of my possessions on a few pieces of paper: clothes, ~100 CDs and DVDs and a carrying case, ~100 novels, 1 board game with 4 expansion packs, ~15 stuffed animals, ~80 G1 & G3 ponies, ~10 petite ponies, 2 Loyal Subject ponies, 1 Mommy Charm, ~15 dolls and a few extra sets of doll clothes, a stereo, a TV, a DVD player, greeting cards from friends and family, assorted photos and a couple photo albums, 2 sports cards, 1 binder with autographed pictures, 2 framed collages, 2 sets of sheets, 1 cloth bag, 2 Wii games, an XBox w/ 3-4 XBox games, a compass, a Kindle, 2 old cell phones, a broken alarm clock, a sleeping bag, a razor, a Samoyed statue/pen set, a dozen notebooks, and a toothbrush.

I'm sure I forgot some things.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 12:40:47 AM by northstar3184 »

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
I've read the mari kondo method and I really relate to a lot of it. In recent years I've really downsized my collections. Part of it is living with my hoarder of a mother. I feel like the house is suffocating at times so I really try to keep my stuff in check. Since they both aren't doing well health wise, it's been easier for me to clean out the house without much complaint because if I didn't they wouldn't be able to get the walker/wheelchairs around. So I'm happy to feel less claustrophobic in our home.
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
I am proud of myself for buying only my favorite most meaningful Anniversary ponies, instead of the entire set-  and then I gave one to my sister-  good for me!  :biggrin:

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
It is tiring to have stuff in your home that you neither want or use. You can feel bogged down, especially when you have to move stuff you don't use to get to stuff you do use and want.

I periodically clear out things when I'm in the mood or discover something lurking in my drawers or cupboards.

You don't have to do it all at once, you can start one drawer/shelf/box at a time.  If you don't use it, won't use it, never used it, haven't worn it for a year or more, it's out of date, doesn't fit and isn't sentimental then it should go.

You can give it to charity, sell it or swap it with someone :)

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal