collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Perhaps an odd question for a collector's site, but... minimalism anyone?  (Read 3100 times)

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
Is anyone here into minimalism? The idea of just living a less-cluttered life, I suppose. A focus on the aspects of life that matter most, and intentionally removing anything that doesn’t fall into that category. If you don't use or need it and it doesn't give you any joy or satisfaction, give it away or throw it away.

It looks different for each individual. Some minimalists sell everything and live as nomads, only owning those things that they can carry with them. Some minimalists live in and own regular homes, have 1-2 cars, and cultivate a collection of stamps (or magnets, or funny comic strips). And there are minimalists in between both of those categories. So minimalism is a lifestyle that can be tailored to what works for each person/family.

I haven't adopted this lifestyle yet, but I'm starting to look into it more. I'm tired of just having so much stuff. Much of which is still in the basement and I haven't looked at it or thought of it in a decade! I don't need all this much stuff. If my husband and I passed away with all this junk in our lives, I wouldn't envy our children having to deal with such a burden.

I've read that minimalism is so much more than buying and owning less material possessions. It’s about refocusing life and gaining the freedom of more time, more energy, and more financial resources to focus on what matters most. I think I'm starting to crave this way of living and I'm going to research it more.

Has anyone on the Arena gone into this lifestyle or know someone who has? :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Well...
I'm not minimalist, as I'm collecting a LOT of miniatures...

But, yah know, it's better not to keep things we don't really need. I agree.
Some years ago, I get with my mother to empty our old appartement, as we both have moved away... and well, it was long to choose what to keep or not... you then realise that one day you bough these thing but right now you don't need them nor miss them after.
It was a start to me, that's why I usually get into my things and if they aren't usefull, well they aren't for me anymore. I use all my figures to do pictures/play with but I do NOT want a collection to sit on a shelf all year long without any interaction with.

One of my roomate have even more stuffs than me, and store them everywhere in box "in case that can have a use" but in fact, it's just pointless as we all know it wouldn't.
So first, start with the idea you don't have to keep all is good. To me, of course.

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Is anyone here into minimalism? The idea of just living a less-cluttered life, I suppose. A focus on the aspects of life that matter most, and intentionally removing anything that doesn’t fall into that category. If you don't use or need it and it doesn't give you any joy or satisfaction, give it away or throw it away.

It looks different for each individual. Some minimalists sell everything and live as nomads, only owning those things that they can carry with them. Some minimalists live in and own regular homes, have 1-2 cars, and cultivate a collection of stamps (or magnets, or funny comic strips). And there are minimalists in between both of those categories. So minimalism is a lifestyle that can be tailored to what works for each person/family.

I haven't adopted this lifestyle yet, but I'm starting to look into it more. I'm tired of just having so much stuff. Much of which is still in the basement and I haven't looked at it or thought of it in a decade! I don't need all this much stuff. If my husband and I passed away with all this junk in our lives, I wouldn't envy our children having to deal with such a burden.

I've read that minimalism is so much more than buying and owning less material possessions. It’s about refocusing life and gaining the freedom of more time, more energy, and more financial resources to focus on what matters most. I think I'm starting to crave this way of living and I'm going to research it more.

Has anyone on the Arena gone into this lifestyle or know someone who has? :)
I agree. I have come to realize- both through my own observance, and the help of the Scriptures (namely Luke 12:15- "Then he said to them 'keep your eyes open and guard against every sort of greed, because even when a person has an abundance, his life does not result from the things he possesses') (translation: no matter how much stuff you have, it doesn't prolong or save your life, and doesn't really bring true happiness, like serving God does), that having a huge collection of ponies and just stuff doesn't make me happy, as I once thought it did, seeking it out as escapism. Having a minimalist lifestyle is just more beneficial (as you said, it's not just less stuff, but putting the focus on more time and energy into obtaining a more fulfilling lifestyle in the process)- less clutter and less stuff means less mental strain trying to figure out where to put everything, or fretting over whether someone will break in and steal anything of monetary or emotional value. I've taken down some of the pony stuff cluttering my walls around my "me" space (my desk and computer) and put them in storage bins, and am in the process of doing the same for the remaining stuff. Eventually, I'll transition my pony figures that take up the entertainment center space and put them in bins, to chill with my beanie babies.  Hopefully, I'll get to where I can BREATHE. I don't need ponies everywhere to display and show them off to absolutely no one, and bother cleaning around them every other week.

The Bible actually encourages a minimalist lifestyle, and if you're interested in pursuing this, I support you, and can dig up a few articles related to the Scriptures that I can find, regarding this topic
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 05:49:32 PM by nightmare muffin »
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
I have just spent part of last year and the last 3 weeks solidly clearing out my late grandmother's house. She kept EVERYTHING.  :shocked: much of it was destroyed by damp and mould. Such a waste.

It has taught me that hoarding stuff is not such a great idea!  :lol:

Once everything is finally cleared, I shall make a start on my own home + junk.  :cool:

With regard to my pony collection, I am aiming for spending a little more on getting what I *really* want, over buying dozens of random ponies, just to make my herd larger. Any baity ones are purely to indulge my passion for preservation/re-rooting.  :)

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
My aunt and unclear  moved from a big house into a travel trailer and they're so much happier, moving trailer sites every few months, living a minimalist life.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Yes! I started a similar thread here myself a while back http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380883.msg1565889.html#msg1565889
I started with downsizing collections about 3 years ago just to focus, not get overwhelmed and stay organized. Then about 2.5 years ago I had to downsize much more (collections and household goods) due to moving into a smaller place. I began thinking about how much I'd wasted and how I didn't miss any of what I was getting rid of and started actively perusing minimalism a little over a year ago. Decluttering has lead to so much self refection and more of a focus on continued overall improvement for me. It's really been an unexpected side effect but when I started asking "Do I need this?" about everything I own it starts to lead to other questions when I try to justify why. I've faced some harsh realities but also began to identify goals, aspirations and what really matters to me personally in the process. I feel I'm now better able to work towards those things and am happier for it. My views on shopping and obtaining items are definitely through a different lens now. I'm much more intentional. It's still a continuing journey.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 11:07:21 PM by Flitter »

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
I could never be a minimalist, I love my stuff! My younger brother is, however. He's the one earning most in the family, yet he live in a tiny one room apartment. With just a bed, a couch, a desk with his computer and a chair for it. One TV, two shelves in total. One for his videogames and movies, one for books and other stuff he feels obligated to keep. Whenever I am in his home I get the feeling of empty rooms. It's almost like an echo. Everyone else living there would have put up a screen between bed and couch, gotten another coach or a couple of armchairs but he don't. He has a onedoorwardrobe for his clothes, doesn't buy anything new unless something breaks. I am rather proud of him. I wish my home wouldn't be as cluttered as it is. But I love my books, I love my ponies, I love my dragons and other stuff. If i were to throw something out I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
I've thought about it, but I don't think it's something I'd fully be able to commit to, however lately I have been feeling more "what's the point" with some stuff, and thinking about only keeping stuff I'm actually using/enjoy. So I get not minimalist exactly, but clearing out the extra crap and clutter that I've held on to for whatever reason (knick knacks, freebie things given away at events, etc).
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
I have a kind of semi-minimalism happening; it looks to an outsider like my place is the typical folky/hippie den of crystals, dreamcatchers and wooden dolphins, but I am incredibly sensitive to excessive amounts of things in there and everything has its place and a purpose. Heck, even my collection of ponies, Care Bears and other cute things is limited to just one shelf! Generally the vibe I'm going for is homely without being chaotic; it seems to do the job because whenever someone comes round, they always have good things to say about the feel of the place. :)

Offline Icey

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Retro Plastic on Etsy
I have definitely thought about it. I love the tiny house movement and the idea of having less 'stuff.' I have two small children and we homeschool, so it wouldn't really work for me at this point in my life. Definitely later, which provides a bit of a problem considering I have a room full of toys that I love and I have turned my kids into mini collectors. I do purge a lot of the unnecessary though and I donate A LOT of stuff to charity. Sometimes after Christmas I just get so overwhelmed with stuff I start sending it out the door.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Perhaps an odd question for a collector's site, but... minimalism anyone?
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 06:49:08 AM »
I am very in favor of organisation and the concept of minimalism appeals to me a lot, which is funny because not only am I a collector but also a fan of kitsch and decorations. It's like I have a split personality. And it shows in my apartment. My collection is neatly organized into themes, several other categories and I only ever have one collection on display because I hate looking at the clutter. I even donate presents I get if they don't fit into the categories I established and I feel no remorse.
If I could have a sepatate room just for my deco and collection I would have it and the rest of my living space would look super reduced.

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 08:34:43 AM »
This is something that I have been working on haphazardly the last few years.  I started reading that Marie Kondo book on tidying and decluttering.  I have not been able to do the whole process, as a lot of my possessions still reside at my parents home.  I would just end up doing it all over again when we move to a bigger home with all that stuff.  I did purge a lot of clothes over a year ago with it, but still feel like I have tons of clothes that I do not wear very often.  It's those clothes that you need like once a year, and as soon as you get rid of them, you need them. 

I do try to get rid of things in our home when I come across something that is no longer needed.  I have gotten better at tossing this stuff, or donating to the thrift store.  I have learned not to ask my husband about keeping this stuff because he likes to keep everything, even if he never uses it. I just get overwhelmed with everything and find myself shutting down more often than not when faced with tons of stuff.

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 09:23:51 AM »
I have been trying to clear a lot of excess 'stuff' out of our house for the past year. We had a tendency to keep items 'just in case' and have now stopped doing that. It is slow work as I have to do it on my own as well as keeping the normal house together as one does. We also have small school-going kids in the house, which sometimes makes you feel as if you are right back where you started  :P

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 09:37:31 AM »
My wife maybe- she has no need for "stuff." It's very odd since I like my pretty things.

But she does like to keep at least one little momento from each of the places that she's visited in the world-  I will admit it is nice to look at a thing and think-  wow what an awesome day that was... (although I think photographs do just as well and take up less space)

One of my best friends is a hard core Buddhist and she TRIES not to accumulate stuff-  but she is also an artist and as other artists and crafters know, it is nearly impossible to avoid accumulating arts and crafts supplies...

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 02:02:43 PM »
I try...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal