collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Toys R Us closures incoming  (Read 23312 times)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Toys R Us closures incoming
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2018, 03:01:30 PM »
I'd bet they stopped answering the phones because they got tired of answering the same three questions:

Are you closing?  Are you open today?  Can you save________ for me?

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2018, 03:24:17 PM »
Went to my local TRU today since the sales have begun! Here's my haul:

Spoiler
Elements of Friendship EqG Minis pack:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Fashems Rainbow Dash (Wave 7, I was hoping to get a seapony or pirate one so it was more obviously for the Movie but oh well):

Monster High Alivia doll and Clawdeen Wolf vinyl figure:

Keroppi plush:

I was hoping to get the Celestia, Luna, and Cadance pack but they seemed to be gone already.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2018, 07:44:40 PM »
Thanks for letting me know. I wish I knew people closer to closing stores cuz I'm 30-60 minutes away from a handful.
I am an hour from my nearest one too.  Sucks that they are not answering the phone anymore.  That is kind of bizarre, I think.
  I'm not surprised since I used to run customer service desk. You were expected to run both checkout sides of the desk and the phones all at the same time. This kind of news you can't keep up with the phone and check people out at the same time!
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline Icey

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Retro Plastic on Etsy
« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2018, 03:13:37 PM »
I know for the one store they are working with a small crew and they have a ton of stuff to get on the shelves (because it came from another store that was originally closing before they decided to close them all). It may only be a local thing, but I went to two of my local stores and they both said the same thing :(

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2018, 04:52:21 PM »
I made the trip to my closest TRU (an hour away) and was surprised to find so many people there.  I don't think I saw that many people there at Christmas time.  Most of the stuff was only at 10% off so far so I picked up some Skylanders that were already on clearance for $0.98 for my nephews and a puzzle for my sister.  I also found some z-crystals for my Z-bracelet that was on clearance for $0.90.  And all of them were an additional 10% off so it was a pretty decent deal.  I had originally gone to see if they had any of the 35th Anniversary ponies because I'm still missing Cotton Candy but the only one they had was Snuzzle, so I left her for someone else to find.  I thought about picking up the set of ponies with Big Mac and Maude, but at only 10% off, it was still $54.00 so since I already have the set, I didn't bother.  If I make it back before they're sold out and they're at a better deal, I might consider picking up another. 

Offline Icey

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Retro Plastic on Etsy
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2018, 12:04:42 PM »
Just got back from TRU. Legos are on sale for 5%, but considered they are already marked up higher than other retailers I would steer clear. Everything else is only 10%. They confirmed they are no longer answering questions because people just keep calling and asking the same thing 'Are you closing? When are the sales? How can you be closing?' etc. Apparently they got a slew of calls where people were being really nasty about the closing as if the local branches have any control over that.

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2018, 11:13:10 PM »
I work across the street from TRU and they had a dude outside with a sign that said 30% off and their parking lot was jam packed.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Icey

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Retro Plastic on Etsy
« Reply #127 on: March 26, 2018, 07:44:39 AM »
Yeah it said 'up to 30% off' outside of our store, but whatever was 20-30% percent off we didn't find it. All of the aisles said 10% or, in the case of Lego, 5%.

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2018, 09:26:40 AM »
Easter baskets were 30% off at mine, that's all I noticed that was more than 10%.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 26, 2018, 09:42:20 AM »
From what I saw when I went, Easter items and novelty toys (the stuff in bins near the front of the store similar to dollar store toys) were 20% and the cards and gift bags were 30%.   

I didn't want to risk the light-up Tempest being gone by the time the discounts got better so I picked her up.  The funny thing was that I had been the day before (when the sales were originally supposed to begin) and found a complete box of Wave 24 blind bags that rang up buy one get one 40% off (making them 20% off each) - better than the clearance sale!  I'll check back once the discounts go up and might pick up a few more things if they still have them.

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 26, 2018, 10:19:23 AM »
I went on the day sales were originally supposed to start and all sale signs were removed so I didn't think the ponies would be on sale, so I didn't buy any.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 26, 2018, 12:29:25 PM »
My wife went to TRU this weekend- to spend a gift certificate we got for our kiddo-

I didn't go...

She said it was a mad-house and the store-wide sale was a whopping 10% off (of most stuff not even all).  :lol:

(those other sale prices are just their regular sales I believe)

I do remember I worked for Montgomery Wards when it went under, the store closures were handled by a new team of people who are professional store-closers. The sale prices get progressively larger- but I do remember that by the time things got to a respectible 40% all the good stuff was waaaaaaaaaaaay gone.  I bet it will be the same for TRU.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2018, 01:02:27 PM »
Well even with the so called sales ,I am not going out of my way to visit the ones two hours from me.  :pout: :razz: :poke:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #133 on: March 26, 2018, 01:13:46 PM »
Even with just the 10% sales, mine looked pretty picked-over already.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #134 on: March 26, 2018, 02:51:10 PM »
I went to my nearest TRU on Saturday.  It is an hour drive one way so we made a day of it.  Same situation here.  It was the most packed that I have ever seen that store.  It had a sign on the outside saying items up to 30% off.  Most stuff was only 10% off.  Legos and gaming consoles were only 5% off.  Movies were not on sale at all.  The only 30% off item I got was a mini 35th anniversary Share Bear Care Bear.  The only other things I got was the pack with Tempest, Spike, and Princess TS, a handful of wave 24(?), and Alivia Stein MH doll.  These were all either TRU exclusives or I could not get them any cheaper anywhere else really.  Probably, won't bother going back again due to the distance. 

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal