collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Toys R Us closures incoming  (Read 23260 times)

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Toys R Us closures incoming
« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2018, 10:01:00 AM »
I haven't visited mine since the sales started, but I'm sure everything's been picked over already. That location was always packed and had super long lines. I can't imagine that would change now that the sales have begun.

I'm hoping to make one final trip. Even if I don't buy anything, I'd be happy with just walking around and looking at all the toys one last time.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Icey

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Retro Plastic on Etsy
« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2018, 01:02:18 PM »
One of the guys I have talked to for years said they are still getting trucks, which is weird. They had to hire people to come in just to unload them because they are so short staffed.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2018, 04:15:20 PM »
One of the guys I have talked to for years said they are still getting trucks, which is weird. They had to hire people to come in just to unload them because they are so short staffed.

Not really weird.  All the stuff from the warehouses has to come out and get sold too ;)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 30, 2018, 02:20:48 AM »

Not really weird.  All the stuff from the warehouses has to come out and get sold too ;)

And that's a great thing because they can find things long forgotten in the back of the warehouse. I'm not sure how true it is but I remember hearing a story about someone finding G1s when the original KB was liquidating.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2018, 08:27:25 AM »
Imagine them finding a box of TE and adding a few MOC Mimics to the market. XD
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Icey

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Retro Plastic on Etsy
« Reply #140 on: April 03, 2018, 10:37:14 AM »
If you go to their website you get a notice that says they closed down the site and encourage you to take advantage of the discounted sales at the stores :(

Post Merge: April 03, 2018, 10:37:47 AM

True, I didn't think of that.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #141 on: April 04, 2018, 12:55:43 PM »
Imagine them finding a box of TE and adding a few MOC Mimics to the market. XD

The old TRU in Birmingham (that closed years ago) was still selling the Bed & Crib Set when I was a university undergrad in early 2001...

You never know, albeit it's unlikely. I should also add that I had Baby Applejack for Christmas 1995, even though she hadn't been on shop shelves since 1985 - she was available in a London clearance store then which had a bunch of old Hasbro stock after MLP ended, and my parents managed to track it down. So my Baby Applejack found her forever home with me ten years after she was sent out to stores originally. I was still more or less a kid then (I was 13) so wasn't MIP collecting and didn't keep her in her package like I would have done if I had got her later, but I do still have her box and all her stuff. It's kind of weird thinking about that now...we had a lot of ponies from these stores which were sort of childhood ponies but mostly out of sequence with the time frame they were originally available. My sister especially loved this as she was still only 8 in 1995 xD.

Of course, by the time I was proper adult collecting and stuff, the store was long since cleared out :/ But I remember they had a lot of old ponywear as well, and I do have three MOC Sparkle Ponies which I bought from there in 1998 for about £5 each (their cards are dated 1989...)

So it can happen. But I would think it's more likely to be old G3s now...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 12:58:59 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 07, 2018, 01:05:53 PM »
I went back to my local store today. The liquidation sale is still at 10% in my area and most of the TRU exclusive stuff is already gone. I did see the big TRU pony set and a few exclusive Funko Pops. The shelves are mostly full but they are putting random toys wherever there is an open spot. The MLP, Barbie and Baby doll aisles mostly look the same. A of the Funko Pops were gone though.

A family member overhead several employees talking and told me they "they, keep sending us girl stuff, and we're not selling girl stuff" 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 07, 2018, 02:14:50 PM »
My store still has a lot of Funko pops, including a bunch of TRU exclusives. I got a TRU exclusive MLP set with 12 ponies. If I decide not to keep it, at least I can sell it.

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 08, 2018, 06:59:06 PM »
It would be fun to find G3s. When I first moved here in summer 2011 the local Rite Aide had a G3 Party Cake on the shelf. I hemmed over it for almost a year and by the time I decided to buy it. The store remodeled and it was gone. So old stock can hang around, somewhere in a dusty corner. Like the Ark minus Indy. :biggrin:

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline Stellaluna

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 09, 2018, 05:24:13 AM »
The one in Savannah, GA is closing. It's very sad. My friend and I walked around it for a bit, and it looks like the employees aren't concerned about tidiness anymore. (Heck, I wouldn't if I knew I was going to be laid off.) Strange thing is, the sales are only 10% off on everything. Maybe they're not concerned about getting rid of it all and are planning on shipping any leftovers to remaining stores?

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #146 on: April 09, 2018, 06:10:38 AM »
The one in Savannah, GA is closing. It's very sad. My friend and I walked around it for a bit, and it looks like the employees aren't concerned about tidiness anymore. (Heck, I wouldn't if I knew I was going to be laid off.) Strange thing is, the sales are only 10% off on everything. Maybe they're not concerned about getting rid of it all and are planning on shipping any leftovers to remaining stores?

All TRUs in the US are closing, there won't be any remaining stores. Outside of the ones that were announced to close earlier (who have better sales right now since they started liquidation earlier), all the stores are up to 30% off with the majority of stuff being just 10% off.

I do wonder when the sale prices will get better. Does anyone know how long it took the stores that were closing earlier to begin having better sales?

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline OleGrayMane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • A Third Act Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 13, 2018, 03:04:13 PM »
On 4-10, a friend of mine reported the discount in NE Ohio was still at 10%.
They seem to be hovering at this level rather long, and I've wondered how long it will drag on.

When I used the in-store scanner to check prices, because around here they've never been good with having the stock and prices match, the screen said the prices were good to the end of June. :huh:

There's three local stores I've checked, and had two scoped out by friends, so far no new-old stock has appeared for MLP. Still movie centric with a few random pieces here and there.

I sure hope I get a chance at some signage or other unique in-store displays, but from what I've read, there's not much of a chance for that.

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 13, 2018, 04:11:05 PM »
Often prices that say they're good through a certain date, just means they won't go up until that date, but they can still go down. Toys R Us will be gone by June, as they were only promised 60 days of operation.

I asked the manager of my local store (finally) and he said that the marketing displays will go back to their vendors. I want the Geoffrey Giraffe costume so he suggested I fill out a form for buying one of the fixtures via the liquidation company  (racks, registers, etc.) which are after the checkstands, at least at my store.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #149 on: April 22, 2018, 08:56:29 AM »
I wonder if the fact the sales are hovering at that level is because they are waiting to see what happens with all these offers coming in. No point slashing everything if someone then comes and saves some of the stores...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal