collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Filing USPS Insurance Claim-Hypothetical Situation  (Read 628 times)

Offline jrr74

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
Filing USPS Insurance Claim-Hypothetical Situation
« on: January 24, 2018, 11:21:56 AM »
If you pay for an item using PayPals Friend's and Family option, and item gets lost in the mail, can you make an insurance claim without an actual invoice if insurance was put on package?

I was reading through USPS claims process regarding what you can do when you don't have a bill of sales/invoice/receipt.  There was mention of getting the expert opinion of a qualified person, or something like that, but I don't think there are certified/licensed mlp appraisers.  Maybe I'm wrong.

https://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm300/609.pdf

Proof of Value
Either the mailer or the addressee must submit acceptable proof to establish the cost or value of the article at the time it was mailed. Proof of value should be submitted electronically or attached to the claim form under 1.5; otherwise, the claim cannot be processed. Other proof may be requested to help determine an accurate value. Examples are:

a. A sales receipt, paid invoice or bill of sale, or statement of value from a reputable dealer.

b. Paid repair bills; if the claim is for partial damage, estimates of repair costs or appraisals from a reputable dealer. Repair costs may not exceed the original purchase price.

c. Receipt or invoice for the costs incurred to buy a surety bond required to reissue a lost item.

d. Receipt or invoice of costs incurred for the reconstruction of nonnegotiable documents.

e. A copy of a credit card statement or other documentation indicating the amount paid.

f. For Internet transactions conducted through a Web-based payment network that offers payment services through a stored value account, provide a computer printout of the online transaction identifying the purchaser and seller, price paid, date of transaction, description of item purchased, and assurance that the transaction status is completed. The printout must clearly identify the Web-based payment network provider through which the Internet transaction was conducted.

I realize you should always use goods and services for protection of both parties and that it is against PayPals policies to do what I am discussing.  Except for a couple of times with small ticket items (less than $20 purchase price), I have always paid through goods and services and have even covered the fees at times. 

There is only one time that an item did not make it to me but that was through eBay and their GSP program (?).  I had other items take up to 6 weeks to land on my doorsteps, but stuff has always arrived. 

Thanks for any input
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Filing USPS Insurance Claim-Hypothetical Situation
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 01:19:54 PM »
I would probably contact the person I sent the money to if it was for a sale no matter how it was paid for and get them to create a hand written sales receipt. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline jrr74

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
Re: Filing USPS Insurance Claim-Hypothetical Situation
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 01:43:41 PM »
I would probably contact the person I sent the money to if it was for a sale no matter how it was paid for and get them to create a hand written sales receipt.

Of course :blush:  Thanks!!
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal