collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Beddy Bye adult pony?  (Read 1171 times)

Offline DappledHazel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
Beddy Bye adult pony?
« on: January 22, 2018, 11:56:38 AM »
I was looking at different Beddy Bye Eye ponies and I came upon this image of an adult Beddy Bye Eye pony. I tried to see where it originally came from but all I got was it re-posted a couple times on Pinterest. From the description on Pinterest it said this was a prototype.. Anyone know more about this pony?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Beddy Bye adult pony?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 12:04:21 PM »
I think my heart just stopped.  :whoa: Don't look at me like that, Sunlight..
I could see adult BBE being scrapped if the initial releases weren't so popular. The eye shape is pretty different from the Piggy Ponies, which as far as I know are the only releases of adult ponies with functioning eyes.
Sunlight is an interesting choice, though. I'd think they'd want to make adult versions to go in with the babies, not just slap working eyes on a pony with nothing to do with the BBE.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline wizzer218

• Trade Count: (+152)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • love me some pony!
    • View Profile
    • www.flyinghorsearts.com
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 12:11:21 PM »
She's real ;) i have the two Ponies that were for sale from same seller at same time a so soft Gusty and a ss posey...both protos/ factory samples

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 12:11:28 PM »
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 12:14:46 PM »
My guess is she was an early test for the BBE concept, perhaps before they decided to apply the concept to babies only.  :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 01:12:34 PM »
This is that one I was talking about!
When I mentioned in the "pony scary thread" on the corral also, this is that exact frightful and rare one I saw a long time ago. (Maybe you can post her photo in that thread too?)

Have you seen the (I think) it's a catalog page for the early concept BBE babies?
They look not only better than what we got but also better than this. Do you suppose those were fake? (As in, the eyes were nicer because they didn't work and were just mockups) But, that catalog pic and this pony are def. proof that they were doing beddy eye experiments back in the day. But, I'm SO glad we ended up with TE's and not this. I think maybe if the eye style was different and not so 'ye olde dolly' it could be ok, but like Tailrustedtealeaf mentions why even do it if it's not an improvement. The whole 'gimmick' just seems odd to me.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 01:42:59 PM »
Is the catalog you're thinking of the one with Baby Truly?

In that catalog, I think they are painted prototypes.  They definitely have normal eyes in that photo, not BBEs.

G3 Lily Lightly has blinking eyes and looks quite nice.  But the eyes are in a painted, cartoon style.  I think it looks a lot nicer than the BBE's glass doll eyes.  (Their eye sockets also bulge out from their heads, which doesn't help their look, lol.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 01:52:01 PM »
Is the catalog you're thinking of the one with Baby Truly?

In that catalog, I think they are painted prototypes.  They definitely have normal eyes in that photo, not BBEs.

G3 Lily Lightly has blinking eyes and looks quite nice.  But the eyes are in a painted, cartoon style.  I think it looks a lot nicer than the BBE's glass doll eyes.  (Their eye sockets also bulge out from their heads, which doesn't help their look, lol.)

Truly and Shady have painted eyes, but Heartthrob has the BBE’s. I’m forever looking at those catalogue images!

The poor BBEs and their bugging eyes.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 02:00:47 PM »
Certainly an important prototype - thanks for posting the photo! I have never heard about this pony before!  :ohyeah:

But I have to say that I too prefer the twinkle-eye design. I see what you mean about 'ye olde dolly' eyes! 

There's a bit of psychology that says the "more human" that a (non-human) something looks, the more uncomfortable it is to view it - for example - certain cartoons/animations - for me it was old images of Humpty Dumpty  :blink:  and the Man in the Moon  :P

I think that there was talk about the "Polar Express" animation having this effect for some viewers (although it did not bother me that much).

ETA -
Spoiler
here's a link to what I was talking about, am I allowed to post the link?

http://southofheaven.typepad.com/south_of_heaven/2011/01/why-polar-express-was-so-creepy.html

When you look at Disney CGI, they design it very well in that they exaggerate certain features so it is not too human, they somehow manage to make that balance between fantasy and real human features so that the final result is attractive e.g. the Frozen characters.

The eyes on the BBE ponies look too real for me, and sometimes they look very tired! Maybe that's why I prefer non BBE ponies!  :lol:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 02:05:28 PM by glitterball »

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 02:10:02 PM »
Certainly an important prototype - thanks for posting the photo! I have never heard about this pony before!  :ohyeah:

But I have to say that I too prefer the twinkle-eye design. I see what you mean about 'ye olde dolly' eyes! 

There's a bit of psychology that says the "more human" that a (non-human) something looks, the more uncomfortable it is to view it - for example - certain cartoons/animations - for me it was old images of Humpty Dumpty  :blink:  and the Man in the Moon  :P

I think that there was talk about the "Polar Express" animation having this effect for some viewers (although it did not bother me that much).

ETA - Uncanny valley
Spoiler

http://southofheaven.typepad.com/south_of_heaven/2011/01/why-polar-express-was-so-creepy.html

When you look at Disney CGI, they design it very well in that they exaggerate certain features so it is not too human, they somehow manage to make that balance between fantasy and real human features so that the final result is attractive e.g. the Frozen characters.

The eyes on the BBE ponies look too real for me, and sometimes they look very tired! Maybe that's why I prefer non BBE ponies!  :lol:

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 09:44:47 PM »

ETA -
Spoiler

Yes, I totally get that!  I have that issue with certain cgi animated things.  Usually the ones that are of the cartoons inserted into real life kind of films.  The live action Smurfs are one of the worst offenders to me.  Their eyes are just a little too realistic.  I also have the same reaction to some motion capture stuff.  Like when the movements are too realistic on a body that isnt realistic.  I'm fine with the Polar Express but Sid the science kid really weirds me out. 

Back to ponies, it's always neat to see prototypes but I am also glad they didn't go with this design.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 09:53:07 PM »
I know someone on this board has her.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 11:13:09 PM »

Which is awesome as this is such an important prototype  :ohyeah:  :)
It's good to know that these prototypes are owned and displayed by collectors - and not forgotten at the back of a factory archival storeroom  :(
 :happy:

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 11:51:50 PM »
Ahhhhhh! Help! They nearly made bigger ones! (running away with arms waving over head)

She is indeed a very cool prototype but I am rather relieved that she is not in my pony herd to scare me each time I open the cabinet doors.

Offline Jorgito93

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 02:25:43 AM »
Yep, if she hasn't changed owners she is with Ember1 here.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal