Pony Talk > The Dollhouse

Questions about BJD from a beginner

(1/3) > >>

MightyRose:
Hi all, I have been wanting to get into dolls for awhile, specifically BJDs. I have some monster high dolls and some barbie dolls but I've never really felt satisfied with the cookie cutter dolls. I feel like I do not have the money to invest in a BJD right now so I was thinking I would test my interest by taking a fashionista barbie doll I really like (2017 release) and modifying her by putting her head on an articulated barbie body (from a previous line) (which sounds so graphic, I know 🙈). Unfortunately it seems like it will be so hard to match skin tones so the body and head look natural together. I am contemplating giving in and just buying a BJD! 😭 They seem so expensive though and I'm not sure where to start.
How did you acquire your first BJD? Was it an expensive purchase? Thanks so much for any guidance :)

Kikwifluff:
I got my first bjd direct from the company :) The thing with the bjd hobby is that it's expensive- dolls, clothing, etc. if you do buy a doll, please be careful to avoid recasts, which are essentially stolen sculpts that are sold for much less than the real thing. I won't go further into that here, but if you do have any questions about that you can send me a message :heart:

On the lighter side, there's tons of independent artists who sculpt dolls and companies who do as well. My favorites are Dearmine, and Cuarto, (who sculpts dragons!) and Fairyland. Each company has their own style, so I'd recommend looking around to see what you like  ^.^ I can recommend companies if you have any specific styles dolls you're looking for :heart:

They're such beautiful dolls, and it's a great creative outlet.
Hopefully this helps!

Uninu:
Some companies also accept layaway/paying in installments. Several of my dolls were bought using that. :)

My first BJD was a Minifee Shiwoo back in 2006. I found it expensive when buying, but when I got him home I was so happy and so amazed by the quality and how lovely the sculpting was and how nice the material felt.

Have you checked out the BJD's for under $300 list? Here is a link in case you haven't: klick

There are so many sizes available that it may be confusing at first. I recommend taking your time looking through different options. I find MSD to be on the easier side to handle when it comes to size, and even though I have more SD than MSD sized dolls now I don't regret getting a Minifee as my first doll.

kCherry:
My first resin baby was a Bobobie tiny named "Erin" and I paid less than $100 for her. Resin BJD are so different from other types of dolls, she was a very good "tester doll" for me. :)
 I recommend that you do As Much research on the subject as you can stand before making a final decision. There is a Lot of good info out there and the more you know the happier you'll be when you finally take the leap. GL!!

Noxxbunny:
The BJD under $300 list is great. I have a Resinsoul Autumn who I got for $140, which is pretty great for a centaur doll. I also have a Hujoo Freya who only clocks in at $60. Resinsoul will do tons of custom stuff for you as well! Such as custom color, headswaps, I've even heard ear swap is something they can do for you.

I hope you find a doll that appeals to you. :) Under $300 isn't tough with a little patience and people to help guide you to some deals. All of my dolls are $300 or less. And I collect Dollfie Dreams almost exclusively(they're SD size or 60cm size dolls.) With the exception of my only fullset Dollfie Dream lol. I'm more well versed in vinyl BJD than resin, but feel free to ask for any help if you need it. I'm all about hunting the deal  :lol:

Edit: forgot to mention my first lol. My first doll was my Dollfie Dream and Obitsu/Parabox body hybrid boy. Body was $180 total with shipping and all that, head was $60 with shipping and all. I painted him myself.  :) My second and third are the same type of hybrid for around the same cost, just in the smaller/shorter MSD(40-45cm) height. My fourth and fifth were gotten in a weird sorta trade deal, so their values may technically not count lol.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version