collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why CANT I dye my MO SkyRocket?  (Read 1046 times)

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Why CANT I dye my MO SkyRocket?
« on: January 19, 2018, 02:44:18 PM »
This isn't a custom question but a restoration question...
Has anybody successfully dyed a sparkle pony?
Can I see it?
How did you do it?

The story:
So I got MO Skyrocket as a 'sort of bait', she had a poor mane and no tail at all, plus she was sort of squished. But hey! MO! And Skyrocket is my favorite sparkle of all. But, she's kind of a really...blah...grayish greenish...polluted sidewalk color? It's just sad. She doesn't look right on the shelf. I gave her a new tail, straiten the tinsel, fixed the mane, and heated her so she'd unsquish. But when I tried to dye her, I got nothin'.

I know people have dyed their Genie & she's made out of the same stuff right?
Why wouldn't this one work? I got some 'evening blue' liquid RIT and heated it up in the microwave in a glass bowl then just stood her in it till it cooled off. It made the feet blue, but it was chalky & would come off on my fingers. So I rinsed her in the tap and all the dye just came right off. Like...it did nothing. I didn't want to paint her or something, but it seems like OTHER ponies who you DONT want stained are like.....so easy to stain & ruin. But then when I want to stain this one she's immune!
Do you marker them? What's super permanent where it couldn't come off on another pony?

Any insight or photo is appreciated!

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Why CANT I dye my MO SkyRocket?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 03:17:41 PM »
MIght be wrong on this, but I think Sky Rocket was one where there were two body colors; the funky gray-green one and a proper blue. I may be getting her mixed up wtih another pony, though. :huh:

You might have to remove the hair and do a full-body dye bath; cross-posting on the customs forum by asking if anyone has successfully dyed a bait sparkle pony might be useful as well.

Sorry I can't be more help. :(
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 09:11:42 PM »
Mine is grey green. Maybe you could sunfade her for a day or two to reduce the yellowing and she might look a better shade? MO does look a odd sort of shade on the wiki maybe that's just how she is: http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Sparkle_Sky_Rocket
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 09:16:05 PM by Artemesia Floc »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 09:19:06 PM »
IMO the Sparkle ponies yellow as they age . . . I've seen lighter / darker versions of most of them, and I think the 'darker' versions are yellowed because they all have a similar tinge, sort of.  I feel like putting her in the sun would increase the yellowing, but it's just a feeling . . . if she is already yellowed, maybe there is nothing to lose?

I don't know if that ties into the dying issue, though.  Might just be something about the quality of the plastic? 
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 11:19:45 PM »
I had a custom sparkle pony from Roogna a few years ago.  She was a Star Hopper dyed a gorgeous deep wine color, but I don't think dying would cover up yellowing.  The yellow would still tint the dye.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 04:09:58 AM »
Comparing the images of my childhood regular one and the MO, I'd say that colour is pretty much the norm..
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/sky_rocket.htm

I don't subscribe to the overly convenient theory that all Sparkle ponies magically yellow with age because it doesn't explain other differences such as glitter distribution and the variations between the symbols. I have two completely different MO Star Hoppers, both in colour, symbol, density and everything, and that can't be put down to yellowing or age. Some do yellow, and in my experience, they tend to do it unevenly. Some are different colours from the start and I guess maybe different plastic types or densities might be used in that process. It's possible all the colour variations also come from Hasbro having trouble keeping a particular shade in the plastic to be consistent between all releases, and that's the problem you're also having.

I don't dye ponies, so I don't know, but it SOUNDS like yours is the normal colour to me :/

I remember when I bought my Sky Rocket, it was her or Napper (dull body or dull hair) and my store bought one is actually less dull colourwise than the MO seems to be. I think that's basically just what Hasbro was going for :/

Summary - some do yellow or fade, but unless fading can repaint symbols and eyes, it's not all about discolouration. Often it's all about batch. And if Hasbro struggled to get that right - it may explain why dying is difficult with this set. (they do seem less prone to other flaws shared by other ponies, eg pindot...)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 04:19:32 AM »
I don't know if this is the case with yours, but I tried using liquid rit dye on a custom pony years ago and it didn't work at all, had to go for the powdered rit dye. In theory they should work the same way, but that wasn't my experience.

Stay away from any kind of marker, as these would likely transfer to other ponies.

Elf

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 07:51:04 AM »
I had a custom sparkle pony from Roogna a few years ago.  She was a Star Hopper dyed a gorgeous deep wine color, but I don't think dying would cover up yellowing.  The yellow would still tint the dye.

How do you dye from blue or green to dark red?  :what:

Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal