collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: On Nirvana Backcards  (Read 2870 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
On Nirvana Backcards
« on: January 19, 2018, 05:49:58 AM »
So having spent my morning reading about civil protests in 19th century Japan (I hate modern history ><) for my tutorials next week, I'm taking a break to look at pretty ponies instead.

I have a question for specifically collectors of ponies of Italian, Spanish/NC, and French origin from the early years of MLP. If you grew up in a country where those were sold and have childhood memories or information relating to them too that would be great.

What I want to try and figure out is what backcards these ponies were sold on and in what languages in what countries.

To be exact about what I am looking for:

Ponies including the year 3 earth pony characters, also white Tootsie
Ponies including Hopscotch, Snowflake and associated characters from that set
Ponies including Rainbow Ponies, especially from year 3 (especially whether Flutterbye or Starflower appeared on the card, or if there are cases of these on US style cards featuring both?)
Ponies including the year 2 and 3 unicorns/pegasus ponies (I believe in Germany these are Fable Ponies or something like that?)

I'm interested to know:
What ponies were sold on these cards
Where those ponies were made
Where the card says they were made (if same or different)
Whether any ponies not illustrated on the card appear on these cards?
What language the cards are in
What countries those ponies/cards were sold in.
If there are multiple versions of that pony on the same or different cards?

I am less interested in Hong Kong white Tootsie as I think I know the answers to that one release and card-wise.
I am also not interested in Piggy pony cards/releases as I don't think they have the same kind of cards.
I am less interested in the year 2 Italian rainbow ponies unless they exist on a card different from the US rainbow pony card

I am also really looking for some of these cards for my collection, and if there happens to be a pony attached and I can afford the asking price, I would be definitely interested in the Rainbow card with Flutterbye on the front. Not fussed about the pony or the language of the card). I would be interested in purchasing just the backcard of any of these, as I collect backcards and honestly want the card more than the pony, but I bought Molinillo MOC for her card and so I'm game to do it again if I can afford the asking price ;) Same goes for the Fable Pony card. Although I am not paid for my teaching till the end of the month.

Insert scan images of sets also welcome.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
Re: On Nirvana Backcards
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 10:10:00 AM »
Let me share what I have :) you will have probably seen it before though ^.^

I cannot tell you where they would have originally been sold :(

Italy Seashell (card says made in Italy as does pony's hoof)

French Starshine (card says made in France as does the pony's hoof)

Italy Starshine (says made in Italy and so does the hoof)

Tell me what you see!!!!! ;)

Italy vs. French because you really see it side by side.

US Backcard for reference ;)

I feel obliged to post, as I feel in part this is my fault :P :P

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 04:20:36 AM »
Yes, it is all your fault O.O. Your fault and my obsession with pony cards combined.

I didn't know French ponies came on the US style of card. That's really interesting given the Spanish/NC release ones are on more UK/Euro styles of card.

O.O wait a minute, pony backcard art flip? What the heck happened there? That's as logical as Hasbro UK using the base image for the set with Bubbles and co and then adding in braids and bows in their hair O.O.

Weird stuff is weird.

Also noticed that the name is in a different place - sometimes on the ribbon and sometimes not, even on the same language release card. Which is interesting because I've seen that before as well with the Spanish ones (Molinillo images from...I think LadyPinwheel some time back? where one has the name on the ribbon and one has it on the card. And I think those cards are the Starflower one and the Flutterbye one as well).

(Random other note, non-Nirvana, I have a couple of 1988 Princesses in their box. All in English, but one has a label for the Netherlands on it. All the boxes have horsehoe points. But the one with the Dutch label...has a smaller points denomination. I think it's 2 vs 3. And there's NO other difference between the boxes. Just that. O.O Any ideas?)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 10:31:25 AM »
I have these italian girls :)

and spanish Fizzy

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 10:35:50 AM »
Awesome! Thank you, Einhornbaby :) Those cards match the UK cards I have for the regular release here which is interesting. Do you know if white tootsie was ever sold on that card that AJ and CJ are on? I know she was sold on a different card which has Snowflake and stuff on it...but I don't think there's a green italian Tootsie? I knnow there;s a Spanish one so maybe I'm getting confused.

And Spanish TE ponies were also on the UK style of card...like the Spanish rainbow ponies see to have been as well...

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 10:44:43 AM »
Youre welcome :)
I dont think there is a green italian Toosie. Ive never ever seen one in 15 years of collecting! White italian Toosie was sold on the same card, yes, you can see a pic of a MOC here :
http://mkp.pytalhost.de/g1/jahre/jahr3/zuckerschnute.php (second from the right)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 01:02:00 PM »
That link is awesome <3 thank you.
I am guessing the one with french and dutch/flemish language is a HK made one? I have seen that before on a US art style card...

I love 'Hippy Pony'. Italian cards are always epic <3.

I wonder why white Tootsie anyway. I mean, why white O.o. What was wrong with green?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 03:05:48 PM »
Yes, it is all your fault O.O. Your fault and my obsession with pony cards combined.

I didn't know French ponies came on the US style of card. That's really interesting given the Spanish/NC release ones are on more UK/Euro styles of card.

O.O wait a minute, pony backcard art flip? What the heck happened there? That's as logical as Hasbro UK using the base image for the set with Bubbles and co and then adding in braids and bows in their hair O.O.

Weird stuff is weird.

Also noticed that the name is in a different place - sometimes on the ribbon and sometimes not, even on the same language release card. Which is interesting because I've seen that before as well with the Spanish ones (Molinillo images from...I think LadyPinwheel some time back? where one has the name on the ribbon and one has it on the card. And I think those cards are the Starflower one and the Flutterbye one as well).

(Random other note, non-Nirvana, I have a couple of 1988 Princesses in their box. All in English, but one has a label for the Netherlands on it. All the boxes have horsehoe points. But the one with the Dutch label...has a smaller points denomination. I think it's 2 vs 3. And there's NO other difference between the boxes. Just that. O.O Any ideas?)

I thought about showing my Peru Starshine backyard and my Greek backyard, but I thought I'd save you the headache and just showed what you asked for :P (they have horizontal cards too FYI)

I knew you'd love the flipped art (the Greek art is flipped too)

Yes, the French rainbows all came on horizontal cards :) they are in the nirvana gallery ;) as only the fronts can be seen the only visible difference is that Parasol and Sunlight have their names in a different part of the card, compared to Moonstone, Windy and Starshine. I also can't see a sticker or leaflet.

http://mlparena.com/archive/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=351054

It is odd they are on the horizontal card, but I wonder if it's a distribution thing? That they all got a horizontal card and the UK got the vertical card, just to be different?

Here is Italy Skydancer on a French language card:

http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/File:Moc-italy-skydancer.jpg

Here is Italy Sunlight on a duel language card:

http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/File:Moc-italy-sunlight.jpg

I've only ever seen tropical haired Italy Parasol on a second set German language Rainbow card, released as part as the second set Rainbows. I can only assume it was a rerelease and the regular hair Italy Parasol was also released with the first Rainbow set as well.

http://mlparena.com/archive/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=397098

The art work appears to be the same as NC Parasol's. On the back Parasol is shown to have regular coloured hair (not tropical) it leaves me wondering what the hair colour of the Parasol on the back of the card is.

http://mlparena.com/archive/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=472666

http://mlparena.com/archive/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=472663

The art work seems brighter/more saturated in colour on the NC Spanish language card, and you can see there is the MB logo instead of the Hasbro house :)

Einhornbaby has LadyG seen your Tootsie's? :P You ponies look immaculate.

Love pkw xxx

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 03:52:39 PM »
I have that italy parasol with alt hair and her card...probably have a picture somewhere but suspect that it matches the Spanish one.

It is interesting about the horizantal cards when ours were vertical and without stories...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 04:23:21 PM »
I have that italy parasol with alt hair and her card...probably have a picture somewhere but suspect that it matches the Spanish one.

It is interesting about the horizantal cards when ours were vertical and without stories...

THIS!

I have spent the last couple of hours looking at the first set Rainbows and all that I can find have a horizontal card with a back story.

The UK appears to be the odd one out, the vertical card, with the vaguely wooden artwork and no back card story. They all appear to be on a generic card. I should send you a picture of my UK carded Starshine for your website, I notice its missing ;)

Love pkw xxx

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 04:56:38 PM »

THIS!

I have spent the last couple of hours looking at the first set Rainbows and all that I can find have a horizontal card with a back story.

The UK appears to be the odd one out, the vertical card, with the vaguely wooden artwork and no back card story. They all appear to be on a generic card. I should send you a picture of my UK carded Starshine for your website, I notice its missing ;)

Love pkw xxx

Now we're in territory I'm more familiar with ;) (And yes please re Starshine picture). I think if I'm remembering right the only distinction with the UK cards is the name of the pony in the bottom corner...I have Sunlight on her card and a couple of cards loose. One is Starshine with the bubble and the name is there. I think I may have one with enough of the name to suggest Skydancer. The last one is a unicorn and I had hoped it was Windy (the name is ripped off but the bubble shape gives it away) but the former owner thought it Moonstone. They are really identical otherwise though.

BUT they are in keeping with the card art style used for the adult Sea Ponies and also the Bubbles/Seashell set. I think the cards are dated 1984 for all of the above. They may be dated 83 but I think 84. Certainly I've classified them in my notes as being 1984 style packaging - no stories, generic images of a particular style, and the how to braid instructions (which perpetuate forever in the UK O.O). I think these are also identical between ponies in the set except for the name of the pony in blue font somewhere on the box/card.

The rainbows and the sea ponies were still on sale in 1985 but why give them new packaging when they already have packages? Thing is, though the set with Bubbles etc are on the insert for 1984, the other two sets aren't. So I figure those packages were just made for the Uk market before there was any big intent to produce pan-European packaging like we see from 1985. Hasbro UK told me that their 'inception' (their word -.-) was 1985, which suggests that's when they started having an actual presence in things. And that's when we start to get stories, too. I have Blossom's UK card from 1984. It also has no story, and the art is based on the US, even though with small differences. But I have all the cards from 1985's Groom & Style set, and all have stories and distinct art from the US release. I think that's the watershed.

There are other times the UK has unique packaging. The pearly sea babies and the whole concept of that set here is crazy considering that didn't happen anywhere else as far as I know. And of course, Twinkle Eye set 2. That card seems to be UK only...everywhere else in Europe seems to have had the later card (except Italy which does its own thing...and probably had the ponies we didn't have, if their ads and inserts are to be believed).

If Hasbro UK were disorganised in terms of export and stuff in 1984 it makes sense that other countries would use the US stuff. And if they had begun, why not continue? Even the UK was doing it to some degree with the Bubbles set (front of the card is the same as the US), so why not others?

Weird stuff also happened with the adult sea ponies, as well. I know the Italian ones used the same boxes as ours which is interesting, but although the illustrations were always the UK ones, the names in the first edition of at least one of the story books (is it Stolen Shadow/Man in the Moon?) uses the names Sealight, Seawinkle etc. It's as though that was the original plan and it got changed. Later editions of the books have updated and fixed names. So it's really probably this way because Hasbro Uk made some late decisions. We might even assume originally they were just going to repeat the US stuff.

Instead we know they
Decided against selling the unicorns and pegasus ponies and redesigned the same card art to omit them
Apparently changed the sea pony release from the US set to different ponies
Packaged the rainbow ponies in their own style of card.

And all of that before 'inception' ;)

@Einhornbaby - do you know anything about the collector pose (HK) Bow Tie that came out on a German language card featuring Gypsy, Honeycomb etc? There are no names on the card, not even Bow Tie's own, just Mein Kleines Pony, but a number of examples exist...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 05:01:17 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 06:53:46 AM »
nope, no idea, do you have a pic? Maybe that will spark up my mind :P

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 07:00:09 AM »
Yeah, but it's only a small one because I'm not with my ponies at the moment...

With the regular release of this card in the UK the name of the pony is usually on the white ribbon, but this one says Mein Kleines Pony instead. Bow Tie isn't pictured on the card anywhere and the story on the back (I don't have an image to hand) is generic from what my basic German skills can make out.

She has a normal 1985 Bow Tie sticker.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 07:04:34 AM »
Hm never seen that one... Im not sure if I ever heard of a HK collectors pose Bowtie released in Germany. We usually had collectors pose Italy Bowtie. Maybe its the same like it was with the seaside baby ponies... there was one pic of one of them on a german card... but no one I know has ever actually seen one in a store and no one had them as a kid.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 07:13:54 AM »
Hm never seen that one... Im not sure if I ever heard of a HK collectors pose Bowtie released in Germany. We usually had collectors pose Italy Bowtie. Maybe its the same like it was with the seaside baby ponies... there was one pic of one of them on a german card... but no one I know has ever actually seen one in a store and no one had them as a kid.

Or like all the apparently UK carded ponies that ended up in other places (ie Truly, Cupcake, etc). Maybe. Or maybe it wasn't for the German market but was for the Austrian or Swiss market? I mean, that's possible, right? The language is the thing that makes it stand out.

There are a number of these, not just mine but other people also have this pony mint on this card. I know there are also carded twinkle eyes on sea pony cards (UK cards but they came out of Germany en masse, I'm sure you remember that, I know I bought mine from a German seller who had lots at the time). But this card is just...weird. It's got an English rainbow but German language otherwise. If it were a miscarding then you'd expect it to be a normal UK card with the name of one of the ponies sold on it on the front. But that's not the case...

Thanks anyway. Another mystery yet to solve O.o.

I didn't know that about the Seaside Babies, but I can say this. All the 1994 ponies here were patchy in their distribution. I never saw any ponies from 1994 here IN 1994 when I was looking. We only had German and French packaged end of line Birthday Pony and Princess Sparkle, and German and French carded Rockin' Beats (at £1.99 each O.O I wish I had known about MOC then >.>) and then whatever was left from the year before (mostly the family babies, sunbright etc).

I think they were really limited in stock generally. Most of the ponies my sister and I have from 1994 came from a store in London that hasbro UK sold stock to. We got all the seaside babies that way but they never had any Jewellery babies in stock. We got them from a local collector eventualyl but have never had doubles so I don't think they were even ever sold in my area.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal