collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Naming children after ponies? (Especially sons?)  (Read 5190 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Naming children after ponies? (Especially sons?)
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2018, 06:53:32 AM »
Wow.  I would think twice about naming a kid after the villain who KILLED HIS DAD.

I wonder how many kids were named Anakin.  Ugh.

Imagine seeing that in the headlines. Kylo Ren murders parents. Investigation Underway
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2018, 09:42:44 AM »
I can only think of a few "inspired by" ponies for boy names...

Colt or Colton
Sonny - Mountain Boy Sunburst
Dallas or Austin - Brother Tex
Dustin/Dusty- Brother Trucker (makes me think of a dusty construction site)
Orion- any space themed pony
Ocean- Brother Salty

I'm sure there are some others!  That way, you could still have your pony tie-in but a name that can stand on it's own.

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2018, 10:26:23 AM »
Wow.  I would think twice about naming a kid after the villain who KILLED HIS DAD.

I wonder how many kids were named Anakin.  Ugh.

Ugh, I know someone who named their kid Anakin X.x I always cringe when I hear them talked about XD

I was named after a movie my mom enjoyed, while my sister was named after family, which she HATES that =P Especially her middle name... Love Story was the movie by the way...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2018, 03:26:45 PM »
I agree with a lot that has been said, when I asked about naming children after ponies I meant 'inspired by' or pony names that are 'regular names'. I've already picked out Penelope, as I said, because that fits my criteria. I was asking about masculine names because I couldn't think of any that worked and was wondering I missed anything. I've seen some interesting suggestions, but none that I like. (I actually knew someone who was considering calling their son Spike, not after the dragon though)

Personally I think it's sad that some people are so against naming children after characters (within reason, Kylo rising to popularity is a little cringe). People come up with names from all sorts of places, a cousin of mine named their son Dustin after the AFL player...
Take this for example, at my old job we had a client named Peter Griffin - yep. But he was middle aged and was clearly named before the character, who knows why his parents picked Peter (perhaps they liked Peter rabbit, or were Spiderman fans). I'm sure there's plenty of kids called Harry too, and at least one called Harry Potter. Just because you're named after a character doesn't mean you don't have an identity of your own.

I have a tricky to spell and pronounce name, some people who have known me for years still can't spell it and I can count on one hand how many have pronounced it correctly the first time they read it (let's not go into how it's not pronounced the traditional way, nobody even knows that traditional pronunciation and I hate it lol)... But I love my name. I've never been teased for my name, I never knew anyone who was!

But I digress, thank you for the discussion, it's been an interesting one. I've actually picked a name in the interim, don't worry it's not a pony name. I'm keeping it close to my chest though, because it's a name I've made up that means a lot to me, my partner has already approved it.
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal