collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pin dot removal: tips, tricks and photographic evidence it can be done, please?  (Read 893 times)

Offline Purpleglasses

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
So! I have read a lot about pin dot (ingrained dirt) removal, but I can’t seem to get it to work for me. Recently I took a pindot-y pony, soaked her in some boiled water, and scraped the side of a popsicle stick against the side of the dirty area. Also used a wire bristle brush, a wet and dry magic eraser, and fingernails. It’s still full of little dots. Maybe a few came off? Hard to tell.

If you’ve made pin dot removal work, what’s your secret? I’d love to see some before and after pics too, please! Thank you!

Edit: spell check gave me pinot removal in the subject line, I changed it, har har.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:34:20 PM by Purpleglasses »

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
I tried this recently for the first time on a NSS Buttons who has horrible pindot grime. I don't have any pics to hand as I have't got it all off yet!  :P

Seriously, I think it *does* work but you have to be prepared to do some serious hard work and put in some time. Even giving it several sessions. Patience and perseverence are key...oh, and lots of hot water and soap to open up those pores and loosen the grime!  :lol:

The method I used was to have a bowl of *hot* water and some gentle liquid hand soap. Then scrape wth fingernails - a LOT!!!

Good luck!  :biggrin:
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
You asked for photographs, here's this post with two amazing results by Featherwurm. =)
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,388848.msg1675804.html#msg1675804
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
I put my pony's affected area in hot water for about two to three minutes to let the pores really open up. Then I squirt I bit of soap on her, and scrape pretty hard with my fingernail. The tips I can give you are to put her in hot water for a long time such as two to three minutes to get the pores open, use soap, and scrape hard with a strong fingernail :) Getting the pores open and scraping hard make a big difference!

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
It's amazing how something so easy to do is so hard to undo! The best I've found is lots of hot water elbow grease :P

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
About six months ago I bought an Applejack from an antique store, and she was absolutely covered in pindot, especially her legs.

I soaked her in boiling water until she got soft, scrubbed some dish soap on her, and scraped away. It took a good while, but now you can hardly tell she had pindot on her! She looks like a whole different pony. I'll post the pictures when I find them.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:29:25 PM by poniesthatsparkle »

Offline Purpleglasses

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
Thanks you guys! That's what I've been doing, mostly. Perhaps she is getting a bit less pin-dotty? I will give her another scrape tomorrow!

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
there is an easy way with no scraping involved.
Make up a bowl of nearly boiling water, pop in a capful of napisan (I don't know the name of the us equivalent), pop in pony. Leave pony to soak until water is cold, some pindot will be removed, repeat again if necessary. Very rarely do you have to scrap out dirt using your finger nails after this using this method 

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
there is an easy way with no scraping involved.
Make up a bowl of nearly boiling water, pop in a capful of napisan (I don't know the name of the us equivalent), pop in pony. Leave pony to soak until water is cold, some pindot will be removed, repeat again if necessary. Very rarely do you have to scrap out dirt using your finger nails after this using this method 

But do we know what effect this has on a pony over time?

Its less risky to just use water and fingernails. I'd stick with that.

Offline nhal039

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
It's fine, people have used it for at least 10 years if there was going to be a problem it would have been seen by now.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Napisan is OxyClean by the way.... ;)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline jrr74

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
I put my pony's affected area in hot water for about two to three minutes to let the pores really open up. Then I squirt I bit of soap on her, and scrape pretty hard with my fingernail. The tips I can give you are to put her in hot water for a long time such as two to three minutes to get the pores open, use soap, and scrape hard with a strong fingernail :) Getting the pores open and scraping hard make a big difference!

This.  I don't just scrape though.  With the plastic being soft from the heat, I squeeze and scrape.  And when the plastic starts to stiffen again, heat it up (dip in hot water). Pliable plastic is key.  Very similar to trying to pop a zit  :P

Of course, there are some areas that you are not able to squeeze, those become the more labor intensive scrubbing parts
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline RavenPaw

• Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
I thought OxyClean was dangerous to ponies?  Am I getting it confused with something else?
~RavenPaw

Av base by Lady-Cybercat.  Sig base by MoogleyMog

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
I thought OxyClean was dangerous to ponies?  Am I getting it confused with something else?
Maybe you're thinking of acne cream?

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline nhal039

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Yeah I would say ance cream too, that stuff is terrible.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal