collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hair falling out of a brushable  (Read 841 times)

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
Hair falling out of a brushable
« on: January 15, 2018, 08:44:13 PM »
Hello everyone, I am still hanging around, but have just been less active what with college and all, but still enjoying collecting as much as ever!

Anyways, I was giving my collection a brush and everything was going fine, but when I got to a G4 Pinkie Pie brushable, her hair was practically crumbling out when I brushed her.  Even now, if I just gently run my fingers through her hair a good deal falls out in my hands.  I haven't really been keeping up with MLP happenings lately, and was wondering if this has become commonplace.  None of the other G4s I brushed had this issue so I'm hoping it is a fluke (or at the very least, restricted to a few hair colors).  I'm reallyyyy hoping G4s aren't already having aging issues like this while older generations are still by and large holding together just fine, but if it is a frequent issue, this is probably the breaking point where I will stop getting G4s.  :(
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Hair falling out of a brushable
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 08:55:29 PM »
G3 has some issues with rotting hair (notably, magenta-pink) so I wouldn't be surprised if they have continued to use the same materials in G4 to the same end result, sadly.  The good thing is that it seems to be confined to just a few colours / runs.  The Avon ponies are the most notorious.  Rapid aging is just going to be a fact when dealing with a toy that was produced as cheaply as possible at a relative 1/3-1/4 of a G1 pony's price. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 09:17:25 PM »
G3 has some issues with rotting hair (notably, magenta-pink) so I wouldn't be surprised if they have continued to use the same materials in G4 to the same end result, sadly.  The good thing is that it seems to be confined to just a few colours / runs.  The Avon ponies are the most notorious.  Rapid aging is just going to be a fact when dealing with a toy that was produced as cheaply as possible at a relative 1/3-1/4 of a G1 pony's price.

Yeah, I am familiar with the issues with the Avon ponies, and looking at G4 Pinkie Pie, it really might be the exact same color or at least very similar.  At least this means the issue is probably pretty limited in scope, although I am disappointed that Hasbro didn't learn their lesson the first time.  However, the thought of countless bald G4 Pinkie Pies flooding thrift stores for years to come is a pretty amusing thought, haha!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 09:10:22 AM »
:( how sad that this is happening.

I've experienced this with G1 and G3 ponies, but I'm saddened to hear it's now affecting G4 ponies too.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 09:23:31 AM »
I would guess it might be connected to certain hair colors, like in G3.  I've picked up a bunch of early G4s at the thrift store lately (Dewdrop Dazzle, Diamond Rose, and the Mane 6 with bangs, which were the earliest versions) and their hair has been fine, so its not a problem across the whole line.

Did Pinkie Pie have any clues to what set she came from, like multi-colored hair or extra symbols or anything?
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Matcha

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • pony deviantart!!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 09:28:44 AM »
I have a whole box of my little sister's old g4s, majority of them have hair breakage problems ): Don't know what happened to them, I don't think they were exposed to sunlight too much, they just sat on a dusty table for a couple of years... I also have two G3s that have sat in a glass cabinet in the living room for a few years, they had really bad hair breakage in their magenta streaks...

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 09:36:34 AM »
I would guess it might be connected to certain hair colors, like in G3.  I've picked up a bunch of early G4s at the thrift store lately (Dewdrop Dazzle, Diamond Rose, and the Mane 6 with bangs, which were the earliest versions) and their hair has been fine, so its not a problem across the whole line.

Did Pinkie Pie have any clues to what set she came from, like multi-colored hair or extra symbols or anything?

Actually, I know exactly what set she was from, since I got her new!  She was actually one of the ponies that started me on collecting, which is part of why it is so sad to see it happen to her.

She came in this 2-pack with Princess Celestia.  She looks completely normal, except she has the crystalline looking eye reflections that were common during the Crystal Empire toys releases.

From what everyone is saying, it sounds like a particular shade of magenta tends to be most problematic.  I have a few older ponies with similar looking magenta hair and they are completely fine though.  It might be a shade different though, I'm really not sure.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 09:41:49 AM »
Aw no, sorry to hear it's happening to a pony that has sentimental value.  :(
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline MightyRose

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 11:19:10 AM »
This happened to me but only with G3 ponies so far -most recently my Tangerine Twinkle 😭 it was, of course, her pink hair streak.
So sorry to hear that it is happening to your G4 pony!
G1 pony goals: Merry Treats, Powder, Sunlight, Gusty, Sugarberry, Baby Sugarberry, French Moonstone, Drink 'n' Wet Baby Ponies, Birthflower ponies, baby Rainfeather!
G3: Candy Cane, Snowflake, Mistletoe, Divine Shine ponies!
Wanting to buy LPS accessories and Breyer horses!

Offline Aitsuki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 09:16:03 PM »
I haven't seen this with any of my ponies. Mine are fine. So that's odd to hear about yours.
My 3DS Friend Code (Playing Pokemon Moon): 2938-6334-2129

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 01:48:35 PM »
oh noooo, that's awful to hear that this is happening with G4s too :( I haven't noticed it happening with any of mine.. hopefully it just affects a few specific hair colours, and not all of them.

So sorry to hear about your Pinkie, though. :<

Offline Goanna

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 11:39:54 PM »
Oh no :( That is really sad and scary news, I hope it doesn't become a common issue for G4s ><

Offline Jorgito93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 08:08:15 AM »
Wow that's sad.I have this exact same Pinkie, and while i haven't brushed her hair a lot, it never happened to me.

Offline Mlp Sunsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Sparkles are great, but Sunsparkles are better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 08:55:06 AM »
Im so sorry to hear this is happening, and to a especially important pony for you too  :(
I have only had this issue with g3s so far but I decided to see if it’s a certain hair colour. Of course pink can be hard to tell but I thought I would compare Green Apple (and what’s left of her tail) to the worst quality pinkie I have. She came with scootaloo. She has no signs of breakage yet, but she has very dull, dry and rough pink hair (from the package, I’ve never brushed her), very similar to green apple. Here is a pic to show, I can’t tell if the colour is the exact same or not, but it has a very similar texture :(

I really hope it’s just a one off too.
Mlp Sunsparkle x

Sig made by: Sapphire Rain
Instagram: mlp_sunsparkle

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal