collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Should there be a few years wait time in between generations?  (Read 959 times)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Should there be a few years wait time in between generations?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 01:48:19 AM »
I don't see why they would even need a break. Breaks in the past were because sales were lagging so they killed the line to try new toys. There was never an intentional break just a couple of line deaths and we were just lucky someone in the company decided it was a good idea to resurrect the brand not just once but twice.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 03:13:51 AM »
"Gaps" are toy sales poison. They only work when the previous product has been really badly received and they want the public to forget the tainted name until the all new reboot comes along.

Also, the audience for MLP is little girls and not adult collectors who need wallet breaks.
Kids grow out of girly toys super fast these days. Not having a steady flow of pony could make them lose out on new fans/buyers.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 03:20:54 AM »
I believe that in an email, there was a mention of a 9 month rest to let old toys cycle through sales and clearances to make way for G5?

That's funny. I think most stores here have already reduced the MLP section to a minimum. 9 months would allow a different toyline to swoop in.

Offline mylittELLEpony

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • #SaveTheG1s
    • View Profile
    • my collection catalog (IG)
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 05:48:46 AM »
I personally don't care or think about any generations beyond the first, so it's fine by me if they want to crank out new gens one after the other. My kids are all MLP fans (my oldest is into G1/G2, middle likes G1/G3, and littlest likes them all) and they will like any new pony stuff regardless.
You can see my collection on InstaGram @ mylittELLEpony  :lovey:

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 10:41:42 AM »
I think a new gen each decade is a nice easy way to keep track of gens, gap or otherwise, though a gap of more than a year seems like too much. Even during a gap, they should still keep ponies on the shelves for kids, the real money makers.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Mareacooda

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 10:48:18 AM »
I personal hoping if rumors are true that G5 will nice molds unlike the G3.5 or G4.5...  I actually like see MLPs growing and changing each generation... I grew up G1s so they always be a favorite... I remember G2 came out that me and best friend Clone slightly disappointed by molds but the accessories came ponies so realistic...Some G2s grew on us just sad that didn't due as well in USA like other countries...
G3s came out I know me and Clone were in love both mold design better and accessories cool... G3s possible could survived longer if Hasbro didn't start repeating same characters atleast...  possible add new version of molds...
G4s came out fever hit again but as G4s continue and same characters and mane &Tails thin out loose quality.. It's bad when find new in package not flaws but dirty... I got more addicted to blind bags because diversity of characters and molds in most tasteful....
Sum all up... I wouldn't be again G5s as long design mold tasteful more unique pony character that us collectors love.

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 11:07:41 AM »
"Gaps" are toy sales poison. They only work when the previous product has been really badly received and they want the public to forget the tainted name until the all new reboot comes along.

Also, the audience for MLP is little girls and not adult collectors who need wallet breaks.
Kids grow out of girly toys super fast these days. Not having a steady flow of pony could make them lose out on new fans/buyers.
it's the adults who are buying the toys for the little girls, mind you, and with the economy how it is- collectors or not, those adults would also need wallet breaks.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 11:42:34 AM »

it's the adults who are buying the toys for the little girls, mind you, and with the economy how it is- collectors or not, those adults would also need wallet breaks.
But kids who want toys will always want toys. Clearance of mlp toys would be good for wallets, but a real clean break would mean the kida would move on to another toy line instead.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 11:47:06 AM »
I do get the feeling of being overwhelmed by a glut of MLP releases.  Because I definitely felt like that during G3.  "OMG, more ponies to collect . . . Where am I going to put them, how much money is in my bank account, etc."  I get it!  LOL!

But remember, we don't HAVE to collect everything that is in stores 'right now'.  Just put it on your want list, figure out a budget, and collect what you can afford / what you like.  :)   I would have saved a lot of money if I'd bought G3s now instead of in stores--because they actually went down in price vs the store price, LOL.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 12:40:36 PM »
I do get the feeling of being overwhelmed by a glut of MLP releases.  Because I definitely felt like that during G3.  "OMG, more ponies to collect . . . Where am I going to put them, how much money is in my bank account, etc."  I get it!  LOL!

But remember, we don't HAVE to collect everything that is in stores 'right now'.  Just put it on your want list, figure out a budget, and collect what you can afford / what you like.  :)   I would have saved a lot of money if I'd bought G3s now instead of in stores--because they actually went down in price vs the store price, LOL.
I've been finding quite a few g3's at thrift stores lately. Maybe kids are just dumping them. But they're a darn good price. Practically a steal at thrifts. (you get 2- 4,  for under $5)
formerly nightmare muffin

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 01:29:10 PM »
I gave up with G3 because 1 in every 3 ponies didn't get here because of the store exclusives, particularly Target, and it was costing a fortune to keep up with that even with the help of friends. In the end I decided if hasbro weren't interested in selling their ponies to me directly, I wasn't going to buy them any more. I think sometimes it works well to wait...but also sometimes not to feed into the culture of paying top dollar to have it now, rather than realising that it's silly to pay over the top.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 01:55:37 PM »

But kids who want toys will always want toys. Clearance of mlp toys would be good for wallets, but a real clean break would mean the kid would move on to another toy line instead.

That's exactly what I meant, thank you. They just want to bring in as many kids as possible. It doesn't matter if an adult decides "no more ponies" or one kid grows out of ponies because the next gen of ponies will hook younger kids again and their parents will buy. Repeat cycle.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal