collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Bright orange staining (mold?? fungus??) and how to get rid of it?  (Read 281 times)

Offline PrinceCatling

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
    • CatlingDoll Instagram
I found a Sprinkles at my local flea market this past weekend and when I was checking the ponies I got for what I'll need to clean or fix, I noticed these bright orange stains on her face (I'll post the photos below), plus a small dark brown spot on one of her legs (possibly pony cancer?) that I didn't notice until long after I took and uploaded the photos

Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My phone's camera doesn't capture color well, but the spots are like neon orange in person. Also, at some point I think someone tried to manhandle her head off since her head is quite loose and there's a bit of deforming around the neck. Can anyone tell me what the stains might be and how to get rid of it? I live in a small apartment with pretty poor ventilation so I'd rather not use strong chemicals like bleach unless I absolutely have to

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
Re: Bright orange staining (mold?? fungus??) and how to get rid of it?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 04:22:30 PM »
I'm think it's probably just highlighter, marker, or something else that stained her, not mold or fungus. It might have been food too (that color reminds me of my school's chili! Lol XD) I'm leaning towards highlighter if it's neon. Try washing her first and see if that helps. You can try a magic eraser next. Then I would recommend nail polish remover, but be careful as it will remove paint (symbols, blush, eyes). If none of those work, try sunfading.
http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/body.html#SunFading This is a good tutorial :)

I also want to say that you should NEVER use harsh chemicals like bleach on ponies! Bleach will, well, bleach a pony and other things can do bad things such as acne creams which will make white blotches appear that can spread to where you didn't even apply the cream and can spread to other ponies as well! What gave you the idea of using bleach? Just curious.

For the possible age spot on her leg (I use the term age spots because cancer can offend some people) there isn't much you can do. Sunfading doesn't really work. You could paint over it if you want.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline PrinceCatling

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
    • CatlingDoll Instagram
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 04:55:07 PM »
I'm think it's probably just highlighter, marker, or something else that stained her, not mold or fungus. It might have been food too (that color reminds me of my school's chili! Lol XD) I'm leaning towards highlighter if it's neon. Try washing her first and see if that helps. You can try a magic eraser next. Then I would recommend nail polish remover, but be careful as it will remove paint (symbols, blush, eyes). If none of those work, try sunfading.
http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/body.html#SunFading This is a good tutorial :)

I also want to say that you should NEVER use harsh chemicals like bleach on ponies! Bleach will, well, bleach a pony and other things can do bad things such as acne creams which will make white blotches appear that can spread to where you didn't even apply the cream and can spread to other ponies as well! What gave you the idea of using bleach? Just curious.

For the possible age spot on her leg (I use the term age spots because cancer can offend some people) there isn't much you can do. Sunfading doesn't really work. You could paint over it if you want.

Thank you! It's in such a small area and there's not really any other markings so it seems a bit weird to me if it was just highlighter, plus she has some pretty significant tail rust so I was worried about fungus or mold being on the inside. I'll find out for sure when I open her up to clean out the rust, but hopefully it really is just marker ;w;

I could've sworn I saw at least one website/tutorial say to use bleach, but I can't find it in any of the sites I have bookmarked. Must have been a bad tutorial D:

Also, I'll be calling them age spots from now on! To be honest, I'm pretty uncomfortable with calling it pony cancer myself, but it's the only thing all the tutorials and websites I found called it so I wasn't sure what else to use. Age spots is a much better name. The mark is really small, so I think I'll leave it alone unless it gets bigger in the future

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 05:41:23 PM »
Almost certainly a contact stain - could be from any number of things such as markers, highlighters, resting up against paint, another toy, plasticine, art supplies, play dough, makeup, etc.  You can see some of the original 'paint' or whatever caused the marking on the edge of her ear. 

Please don't bleach your pony.  Bleach is extremely harsh and has long-term detrimental effects.  If the orange marks bother you, it's quite likely you can sunfade them away.  Surface cleaning isn't going to remove anything except that small remanent of the original orange 'paint'.   She looks very good for a pony who's pushing 30+ years old.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal