collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Does anyone care about G2 ?  (Read 9478 times)

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone care about G2 ?
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2018, 12:05:00 PM »
To elaborate on my previous, laconic post on my appreciation on the forgotten generation:  :P

- Yes, their shape is very un-G1, and I understand it was a shock for many collectors back in the era, but I think they look lovely. We already had tall slender ponies with the Sweetheart Sisters, right?
- Their lil' eye jewels and molded hooves!
- Most of them came with lots of fun accessories
- Bold color schemes! We never saw the likes of Prince Firefly, Miss Painter or Jazzy back then!
- The very few unicorns this gen had are all very, very, very beautiful, some of my favourites overall :D
- Unusual and varied symbols (aka "why does this pony have like. just a wheelbarrow. there's no flowers it's just a wheelbarrow")
- The Friendship Gardens PC game! It's so simple, yet so sweet  :) I really like the "virtual pet" aspect of it.

Offline BubbleTea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2018, 08:29:32 PM »
G2s are great. I really like how they have feathering on their feet. Also Princess Crystal is SO cool.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline Aienhime

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2018, 11:08:54 PM »
I absolutely love the g2 ponies <3 their designs were so bold and lovely, especially the later ponies. Their shape sure took some getting used to at first, but I really liked them. The one thing I dislike is the quality of the later ponies. Their plastic often became really sticky and many of my older ponies have lost their bold colours and have turned pretty dull.

The princess line was so inspirational I wrote an entire story based on it (http://rd.aien-hime.com) ^^;

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2018, 03:41:15 AM »
Any fellow G2 fans wanna help me find my grail Jolly? I am not looking for a complete set, the pony is enough.
In turn I can hunt for G2s you are seeking.

G2s are great. I really like how they have feathering on their feet. Also Princess Crystal is SO cool.

Her and Prince Firefly have an amazing color scheme. I wish MLP would embrace stark color contrasts again.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 03:44:45 AM by Zapper »

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2018, 02:18:49 AM »
Well, what a relief to see a lot of people enjoying G2s. Thanks. =D
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2018, 12:32:19 PM »
I adore G2, just not a customiser, so I only pull apart the vanilla ones to clean/restore, mechanisms are far too scary for me!! The eye gems are a pretty common restoration, so that's probably why they'recovered, mechanisms not so much since most collectors possibly don't mind?

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2018, 12:41:21 PM »
I liked them, I just didn't really connect with them because I was 20 when they came out.  I do have a few I regret parting with now though. I had bought them in stores when they came out.  I don't regret parting with any iteration of Moon Shadow though. Even brand new I couldn't find one where her movable parts matched the rest of her body and it drove me bonkers especially because I loved her color scheme and symbol so much. I'm currently working on a G1 custom of her.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2018, 07:50:21 AM »
I liked them, I just didn't really connect with them because I was 20 when they came out.  I do have a few I regret parting with now though. I had bought them in stores when they came out.  I don't regret parting with any iteration of Moon Shadow though. Even brand new I couldn't find one where her movable parts matched the rest of her body and it drove me bonkers especially because I loved her color scheme and symbol so much. I'm currently working on a G1 custom of her.

Funny you should mention that. Mine did match when she went into storage...and now doesn't. It's quite amusing. I think one of the Cupcakes also has a similar issue. Otherwise they've mostly survived quite well except super-sticky-glitter-demon aka Queen Sunsparkle, who I know is notorious for being a stickified mess.

I was 15 or 16 when they came out. I didn't connect with them like I did g1 but I still liked them. And I was always on the pro-G2 "all ponies are ponies" side in the conflicts over G2 in the past. I remember trogging across Paris to Galeries LaFayette and bringing several back with us in 2000 and 2001. I am not sure because of that when they stopped selling them in the UK. We kept buying them so long as they were out here but I think they stopped a year or so earlier in the UK than in France etc. And then G3 happened and G2 kind of faded out for a bit.

My favourite is still Berry Bright. She has the colours. She has the look. She's simple but beautiful. I dunno. I really like the unicorns as well, but Berry Bright was my first, and when I was going through them recently to photograph and catalogue, I realised that she's really still the best in my book :) Simple but effective. *nod*

@Zapper, is Jolly rare? I am sure I've seen her a few times recently on auction. Providing I'm thinking of the right pony...since I think mine has the French name on her card? Coquette? With the pink backpack?

Edit -I just realised my mother and baby sweetberry set is on a french card with no English at all but has a UK price label in £. I have no idea what happened there. Did we get a bunch of imports here or something? Confused >< I assumed all my French cards were because we brought them back, but maybe not O.O
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 07:59:21 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2018, 08:05:22 AM »
I care about them a lot! I was just a baby when G2 came out, so I didn't have any originals of my own, but I did grow up with the PC game (which I still love to play) and I got some G2s secondhand when I was around 7-8 (we had a castle playset, it was a lot of fun!) My favorite G2 pony was always Ivy, and my sis and I often played with them together. Unfortunately my G2s were lost in moving at some point. Sad times.

I think the reason they're often overlooked is because they had such a short run in comparison to the other generations. But I adore them! The style was super cute, I only wish there had been more of them.

(Under spoiler for G5 stuff)

Spoiler
The leaks for some of the G5 designs almost looks like they're taking some inspiration from G2, actually. That was my first thought when I saw them. IMO that would be awesome to see, I'd really love that!

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2018, 09:11:04 AM »
Some other G2s I like are
Hip Holly
Babies Nosey and Click
Puff
Water Lily
Teddy
Lady Waterfall
Miss Painter
Clever Clover
Prince Blue Dream
Secret Tale
Babies Dart and Dash
Silver Swirl
Eve
Princess Crystal
Copper Glow
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 09:58:36 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2018, 09:21:43 AM »
I can't remember if I mentioned this before, so forgive me if this is a "repeat post".  But I liked that the G2 male ponies were in the same molds as the females.  Makes much more sense than G1 or G4's approach.  (Although I know G1 also had some males in the same molds as females.)  The toys (any gen) are pretty androgynous to begin with because . . . well, they're horses!  We could have had canon boys for flutter ponies, wingers, etc if Hasbro hadn't been caught up on the idea that they all "had to be" girls.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 09:23:49 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2018, 09:39:19 AM »
I can't remember if I mentioned this before, so forgive me if this is a "repeat post".  But I liked that the G2 male ponies were in the same molds as the females.  Makes much more sense than G1 or G4's approach.  (Although I know G1 also had some males in the same molds as females.)  The toys (any gen) are pretty androgynous to begin with because . . . well, they're horses!  We could have had canon boys for flutter ponies, wingers, etc if Hasbro hadn't been caught up on the idea that they all "had to be" girls.

I very much agree! At least with the G1s they were still somewhat similar (both males and females had eyelashes, the builds aside from the feathers on the hooves were mostly the same, etc) but G4 is probably the strangest when it comes to this because of the face shape. G2 is so refreshing in comparison; and the males are just as brightly colored as the females! I mean...there is no such distinction in real life with horses; pretty much the only way to tell is to look under the flank. I'd love to see G2's gender concepts incorporated into any future gens.

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2018, 10:20:07 AM »
G1 is the strangest to me.  The G4 males are at least about the same size as the female ponies.  With G1 the drafthorse molds are absurdly larger than the other molds.  I find it really off-putting.  Like, okay Hasbro, you don't need to make them 1.5x bigger than the other ponies to make me believe they're a boy.  Why they gotta be so thick??

Yes, I totally agree about the G2 boys being as vibrant and interesting as the girls.  Prince Firefly is particularly gorgeous!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2018, 10:34:45 AM »
G1 is the strangest to me.  The G4 males are at least about the same size as the female ponies.  With G1 the drafthorse molds are absurdly larger than the other molds.  I find it really off-putting.  Like, okay Hasbro, you don't need to make them 1.5x bigger than the other ponies to make me believe they're a boy.  Why they gotta be so thick??

Yes, I totally agree about the G2 boys being as vibrant and interesting as the girls.  Prince Firefly is particularly gorgeous!

And then there's newborn Sniffles in the UK (and possibly Noodles in the US)? Who are boys.

Clever Clover has lovely colours <3. I just wish they hadn't recycled him over and over.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+202)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2018, 03:28:52 AM »

And then there's newborn Sniffles in the UK (and possibly Noodles in the US)? Who are boys.

Clever Clover has lovely colours <3. I just wish they hadn't recycled him over and over.

They only re-released Clever Clover once? Not counting Prince Fauna.
I believe one of the Slide twins is a boy too (the pink one I think) :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal