collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1s -- still collected?  (Read 612 times)

Offline StrawberryFair

• Trade Count: (+264)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
G1s -- still collected?
« on: January 14, 2018, 07:39:18 AM »
Whoooa! So weird to be back! After a 6-year hiatus (college, starting a business) I decided to go through my collection last night and part with about 1/3 of it. I had some teary memories -- and I couldn't believe how many ponies I had! This is cross-posted at the TP because I remember how many different members there were at both forums.

I've realized that lots has changed since "my day," in that G1s can be quite hard to come by on eBay now...ponies that used to be sold by the dozens now only have a few listings! So sad. Anyway, I'd like to avoid eBay because of the fees, but I also feel like that venue has the "bidding war" thing going for it, where a pony might sell for more than on a forum. Do people still collect G1s anyway???

Thank you!

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
Re: G1s -- still collected?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 07:47:26 AM »
I collect G1 ponies. I live in the U.K.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 07:52:38 AM »
I think almost everyone here collects G1s. They are definitely still going strong! They are getting more hard to find and more expensive now though. If you want so sell, but not on eBay, I would recommend the Arena or Craigslist. Though, your ponies might not sell well on Craigslist. If you want to buy, I would recommend thrift stores, craigslist, and the Arena :) Oh, and welcome back!

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 08:08:49 AM »
I can't speak for anyone else, but I collect g1's. Ihad retro Fitrfly and Glory by Running Press, the 35th anniv. Blue Belle, Coton Candy, and Minty by BridgeDirect, and just found a TaF Pony in the wild.

There are quite a few listings for g1's on ebay. Far more than just a dozen. And other auction sites like Facebook marketplace,  etsy, and more. Just got to know where to look.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline StrawberryFair

• Trade Count: (+264)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 08:14:21 AM »
I meant a few dozen per pony, but yeah, I love that you can still find them around. I'll start with selling here and the Trading Post then. ;)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 09:39:44 AM »
I dunno about 6 years ago, but some of us have been around here 20 years and are still around now, so yep, it's still a viable thing. If nothing else, I think it's probably got more competitive. G4 has changed people's perceptions on ponies in general, which is part interesting, part annoying.

As for ebay, ebay itself has changed a lot and continues to be more and more unfriendly as an environment for selling if you're just a private individual and not a business. Ponies aren't diminishing there really, but even if you thought they were, you can probably put it down to people trying to avoid the ebay nonsense by selling on places like this or through facebook, etc. Also, though, the longer we go since G1 came out, the fewer there are going to be found at second hand markets and such, so the market will shrink. There are a lot of g1 ponies that disappeared into collections that people still have but no longer are in the community, or have sold off privately. I personally think that if there are fewer ponies on sale, it means people are keeping them and not selling them, which indicates G1 is still fiercely collected.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 02:29:43 PM »
LOTS of collecting still going on , though many people are migrating to the Facebook platforms.  But those all have to be approached with a high level of care to avoid scammers!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 02:45:45 PM »
I have a fairly big collection. I only buy on Facebook if its someone I know from here as well and they have good feedback . Facebook can be more convenientbut the community is here.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 03:26:08 PM »
I'm going to move this to the Corral :D

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 03:39:09 PM »
Most of us here collect G1s! A few months back there was a poll for users' favorite generation, and G1 still won by a landslide!

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 03:50:38 PM »
I found a G1 in the wild yesterday at Value Village. I haven't bought anything online for a while, but still will hunt locally.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline svleonard

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 03:52:28 PM »
Yes, lots and lots and lots of people still collect G1s. Almost everyone on this website does, and there's a healthy market on ebay for G1s, especially MOC and those in mint condition with accessories. I've even had luck selling some G1s at a local toy/hobby fair that caters more towards "boy" toys and sports collectibles. They are still very popular.

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 04:13:12 PM »
Yes, very much still collecting G1s - my favourite gen! As others have said, lots of people on here still collecting them as a priority.
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline MightyRose

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 05:29:09 PM »
G1 is personally my favorite generation and I think many other people feel the same way, just based on the communities I am part of. If you are trying to avoid eBay for selling I would sell on Facebook or even Etsy.
G1 pony goals: Merry Treats, Powder, Sunlight, Gusty, Sugarberry, Baby Sugarberry, French Moonstone, Drink 'n' Wet Baby Ponies, Birthflower ponies, baby Rainfeather!
G3: Candy Cane, Snowflake, Mistletoe, Divine Shine ponies!
Wanting to buy LPS accessories and Breyer horses!

Offline wizzer218

• Trade Count: (+153)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • love me some pony!
    • View Profile
    • www.flyinghorsearts.com
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 06:09:42 PM »
yep lots of collectors
=)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal