collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Need Advice- Possible Scammer Made a Purchase From Me *rainydancer86-3*  (Read 3344 times)

Offline Christahope

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Depends Pony
  • Moondancer is best pony
    • View Profile
Hello all! I'm looking to get some advice. I made a sale of a rather pricey pony and I have a bad feeling this is the very well known scammer Brooke Kutik. I'm saying possible scammer in the title, but all signs point to it being her. They sent a message prior to buying asking if I would take a lower amount. I was still asleep, but they went ahead and purchased the pony without waiting for a response. When I printed the postage a little while ago the name didn't set off any alarms nor did the buyer ID. It wasn't until after when I checked the Paypal payment that I noticed the buyer's name there is a Don Kutik located on the east coast of Florida not far from where she was last reported. I'm guessing this could be a play on her old ID Dawn Kutik. The postage I printed out has tracking, but I had also added signature confirmation so it will have to be signed for to get it. The address is confirmed with Paypal as well. As the post offices are closed I haven't actually mailed the pony out yet. My question is, How so do you think I should proceed and do you have any advice? I'll add the ebay ID and the city location if it's agreed that this is indeed Brooke. Thank you all in advance!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:51:37 PM by hathorcat »

Offline Water Lily

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Hi Everypony!
    • View Profile
Re: Need Advice- Possible Scammer Made a Purchase From Me
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 08:37:53 PM »
Hi there! Have you actually recieved the payment? If so, I think tracking and needing a sig to recieve will keep you safe as you will be able to know when it has arrived to them. Not sure if I missed anything else, but at the point all ends are covered, you should be safe to send
You can never go wrong with being kind. :good:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 12:36:50 AM »
Could you share the eBay ID?  I want to block them immediately, ha ha.  A "Don" Kutik in Florida who collects ponies . . . yeah, I do not believe in that many coincidences.

My advice is . . . do not send a pony to this person.  Refund them, block them, and relist the pony.  She ran sooo many scams, it is just not worth the risk.  It is your RIGHT as a seller to refuse a sale in cases like this.

Edit:  I did some research and it turns out a buyer can still leave you feedback if you cancel and refund a transaction, so it would be risking a negative.  So you would have to decide if it was worth the risk . . . It's up to you.  Do keep in mind that if you send her the pony and things go bad, YOU cannot leave HER negative feedback.  So unfortunately there is no way to warn other sellers if she tries a scam, other than on boards like this.

If you do send her the pony:

Your biggest risk is if she files a SNAD (Item Significantly Not As Described.)  Unfortunately there is really not much you can do to protect yourself from that as a seller.  eBay almost always sides with the buyer, even when they don't offer proof.  If she files a SNAD, demand that she returns the pony (instead of offering a partial refund, etc.)  She wants her money back? Then she gets her money back.  But she doesn't get to keep the pony.

If she at any point threatens to neg you (like "if you don't give me a partial refund I will have to give you a negative"), report her to eBay.  That is feedback extortion and eBay WILL side with you.

Also ONLY communicate with her through eBay's message system, not through private emails, etc.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 07:29:10 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline SpaceButtPonies

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 6v9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 06:53:20 AM »
You could always record yourself sending out the package? By showing the address and tracking info, then toss it in the going out bin. Just an idea but it may help your case if anything happens.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Siggy made by tailrustedtealeaf

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 07:02:58 AM »
Oh geez she's still out there...  :(  PLEASE keep us updated!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 07:59:05 AM »
I do remember this person.  :(  Maybe you could call eBay and explain your reasons for being concerned/your options before proceeding with mailing the pony.   This way eBay is aware of your concerns from the start in case you are in fact dealing with her.  If it would help, you can share some of her past user IDs on ebay which may show that she has received negative feedback on multiple accounts/is no longer registered.  I know people have had mixed experiences with calling eBay, but I personally have found them helpful in the times I needed to call.  I also think it is very smart that you selected signature confirmation.

I wish you best of luck.  I believe I have shopped with you before and you always describe ponies in such detail and provide plenty of clear photos!
Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 08:26:43 AM »
Oh lord, she's still at it?!

Personally I would not sell to someone with this much of a reputation (even if it hasn't been confirmed that it is her, I agree with LadyM, it's just too close to risk it), but it's up to you. Everyone else has given fantastic advice so I'm not sure I can really add anything else, heh.

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 09:50:16 AM »
Ah no not a nice position to be in, I would go with you gut feeling, refund and not post. Ebay is horrid to deal with when things go wrong. I would call them and explain why your cancelling, they will properly credit back your fees in this case.

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 12:38:05 PM »
Oh geez she's still out there... 

My exact reaction!

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Stiletto

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 02:16:29 PM »
LadyMoondancer gave some really solid advice there.

If she is still trying to scam people my bet is she will file a 'item not as described' case and return the pony, but possibly switch the pony out with one of hers that is in worse condition.  So to eBay it looks like she did everything right and returned the pony, but you know its not really the same pony.

I'd cancel the sale.  And run.  Or swim far far away.

Then post her eBay ID so we can all block her.

Offline jrr74

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 02:31:41 PM »
Not worth the stress.  Was being nosey and found what probable pony you are describing.  If this individual is to leave you negative feedback, I believe you have a right to respond to it so you can defend your actions.  In fact, I would be straight up with the buyer. Let them know you are sorry if its one heck of a coincidence, but not a chance you are willing to take.  Don't Do It!!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 02:39:58 PM by jrr74 »
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline Christahope

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Depends Pony
  • Moondancer is best pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 09:10:52 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input! Luckily I can still cancel the shipping label and such. I was going back and forth thinking if she tried something I could easily get law enforcement involved as she isn't far from me. In the end it doesn't seem worth the hassle to go through. Better safe than sorry. I'll let you all know what happens in the end. The username is rainydancer86-3

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 10:30:37 PM »
A few years ago she started heavily scamming on etsy and ebay using Paypal chargebacks, and not just ponies. She expanded to dolls and high end items on etsy. Last I heard she scammed a $600+ item from an etsy seller. 

Yeah, she’s definitely still around.  Thanks for the head’s up!  Some things should never be forgotten, and old time scammers like Brooke are top of that list.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 03:26:33 AM by goddessofpeep »

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 11:44:30 PM »
Thank you for the heads up. I will make sure to block them.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 01:29:13 AM »
I have added to my block list as well. It is especially scary that someone like that is still around and that nobody has managed to do anything to stop them. If it isn't them, then I feel bad for the buyer, but the coincidence is too likely to be a coincidence for me. Better safe than sorry...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal