collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Restoring 3D Symbols.  (Read 636 times)

Offline aluke

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Restoring 3D Symbols.
« on: January 10, 2018, 08:17:08 PM »
What would you do if your pony has a missing 3D symbol? Leave it alone? Hide it with ponywear? Create a replica? Craft something unique? What material would you even default to?

I don't know how it is for every 3D pony, but I know for a fact the G1 princesses (or at least Tiffany, but I imagine they are all the same) have a gaping hole in their flank, and the one I rescued seems kind of sad that way. Conveniently, the part that used to hold her gem is loose inside the pony (not the silver teardrop, just this blue/grey base with a screw attached, so I have SOMETHING to work with if I feel like ripping her neck seal. But yeah, it got me thinking about how you all tackle the issue of a pony missing a symbol; especially when painting is clearly not an option.

I don't have a picture of my girl at the moment, I'll try to take some eventually, but I am mostly curious in hearing your stories than seeking advice on what I should do.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Restoring 3D Symbols.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 08:44:27 PM »
It would depend on what kind of pony - some are easier to restore than others.  Princess Ponies are in the 'almost impossible' / not worth the effort to try and fix with an exact replica.  Sundae Best, Precious Pocket and the like are easier because they don't have the specialized finishes, thus restorations are easier to hide.

Personally I'd probably leave it alone, and get an upgrade that's better quality. I don't like ponies that are missing chunks.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 06:42:32 AM »
I have been trying different things, like seeing if buttons with the loop on the back, lapel pins, silk flowers or even (Christmas) ornaments.

It's not the same as the original jewels, but it does save them from having a kerplucked flank.

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 08:10:30 AM »
Kerplucked is an awesome word!

I haven't tried to replace one, but Tiffany would look really cool with a vontage brooch or necklace in the hole! Sort of Grand Old Dame-like!
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 08:45:51 AM »
It depends on you. My Bunny Hop is missing her symbol and I've decided to have a talented customizer paint the hat and rabbit.

You could  have it restored with clay or paint. You could leave it alone and get an upgrade
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 12:43:54 PM »

I haven't tried to replace one, but Tiffany would look really cool with a vontage brooch or necklace in the hole! Sort of Grand Old Dame-like!

x3

I make my own vocabulary because English is hard. It's even my first (and only) language lulz.

I agree- a lovely cameo would be amazing! I am visualizing something like this for Tiff because of her stunning blue eyes and white coat:
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/60/e3/19/60e3197c0a8e8ca8bd03df5949835f38--cameo-jewelry-hummingbirds.jpg
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 12:48:29 PM by Sweet Daes »

Offline Purpleglasses

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 11:38:26 PM »
Ideally, I would love if someone sold resin replacements for all missing 3D pony parts. If the piece is easy to remove without damaging the pony or the 3D element, I would find an intact one and make a mold of the piece to cast a resin replacement. It’s possible that Starlight Studios on Etsy takes requests for such items. It would be worth contacting them.

I can make molds, but I don’t have any princess ponies.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 01:11:14 PM »

Oooh now that is a good idea!!!

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline aluke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 07:32:50 PM »
This is actually the second Tiffany to fall in my hands, I traded for one with both symbols with the lovely BethMcBeth a couple years back. So definitely not trying to keep her mint, so to speak, but just don't want a poor pony stuck with a hole in her flank for all time. I thought it could lead to a neat discussion.

Oh, using a brooch or fancy button is a lovely idea It would really go with the the regal feel of the G1 Princesses, and a good way to conceal that hole!

Mass produced replacements would be awesome, albeit, I feel like it would be a LOT of work and frankly pretty pricey considering all the pieces needed (the inside holder and screw, the silver base, plus painted details, six small gems, one large gem). Though, I would be happy to donate her intact symbol to the cause.

I'm genuinely curious what would happen if I tossed in some soil and seeds. MLP chia plant/flower pot! xD

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 07:39:02 PM »
I'm genuinely curious what would happen if I tossed in some soil and seeds. MLP chia plant/flower pot! xD

Haha! :lol:

Unfortunately I think that would lead to some issues due to water.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline aluke

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 07:46:55 PM »

Haha! :lol:

Unfortunately I think that would lead to some issues due to water.

I am thinking the same. Even if it wasn't mold, I just feel like the soil and water would do more harm than fun.

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 01:35:53 AM »
This is an interesting topic; and there are definitely some customisers who are talented enough to sculpt another symbol / amend a brooch or button to fit the gap. I just received my first Princess ponies in a gift lot from my husband for Christmas. Tiffany is one of those but all that she needs doing is for her symbol to be repainted.

You could always use sculpy (or similar) to fill in the 'gap' and then press the brooch / button / whatever you decide upon into it while it is still wet I suppose. The entire area doesn't necessarily need to be 3D if you don't wish it to be. You could make some of it flush with the pony's flank.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal