collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Scary Side of Pony  (Read 7181 times)

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
Re: The Scary Side of Pony
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 08:13:54 AM »
Most fans don't think MLP is all sunshine and rainbows. Only loud-mouthed ignoramous fans think that.

<3

Also, people in the media who want to belittle girls' toys when they do compilation shows about toys in x generation. Because how could girls possibly cope with peril *gasp* ;)

I dunno, it just always really offends me when people say that about MLP, because if it had been that way, I would never have played with it. I hated all that stuff :/ but I did like playing zombie kingdoms and using my unicorns to put the fear of god into the boys who wanted to throw my ponies on the school roof :D

Real Life My Little Pony Stories from G1; playing transformers and ponies together with male cousin who was about 5-6 years younger than me. He was being obnoxious, and myself and my other girl cousin were getting annoyed with the way the story was going sooo...

Boy Cousin: Transformers are stronger and tougher than My Little Pony, your ponies have to do what my transformers say...Tansformers are...

Karen: (Interrupts by uses baby Ember to smash transformer toy.) Yea, that robot lost an arm and leg in a fight with a baby pony, sorry...your warriors are weak.

The End.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 11:35:39 AM by KarentheUnicorn »
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 08:17:23 AM »
I think the impression that MLP is "sunshine and rainbows" originated from the G1 commercials.  I love them, but . . . yeah, they're pretty much 30 second spots of girls in elaborate dresses gushing over how their ponies are SO BEAUTIFUL and maybe taking them to a party.  No mention of danger or adventure.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 08:26:03 AM »
I think the impression that MLP is "sunshine and rainbows" originated from the G1 commercials.  I love them, but . . . yeah, they're pretty much 30 second spots of girls in elaborate dresses gushing over how their ponies are SO BEAUTIFUL and maybe taking them to a party.  No mention of danger or adventure.

Yeah, they're pretty nauseating and you're probably right that that's the source of the misconception. I wonder if it's also the source of Faust's comments of her memories of MLP - because it's easy to find those on youtube these days and they do give a very bad impression of what MLP is.

That said, if you base your opinion of G1 on the commercials, it suggests your knowledge comes from google search and not from personal experience. I've seen a lot of brony comments on G1 stuff which garbles together stuff from the animation and the comic or UK story books without really understanding what the relevance is of each to their respective canons. To me that exposes people who know G1 and people who say they do and then put it down based on their mistaken understanding of it. It's always a red flag to me if someone from the US talks about something from UK pony lore as though they grew up with it, because the chances they did are minor (such as the odd brony preoccupation with Majesty). As pony fans we know the difference, but if nightmaremuffin is right that 'many fans' believe otherwise, then they're probably not actually fans, but people who did a google search and jumped to a conclusion about it instead.

For those of us who grew up with it, we know different. But that's also partly because although there are a lot of stories involved, we were also very free to create our own worlds and ideas with them. There was no enslaving animated series reinforcing the same six ponies and forcing them to dominate the toyline over and over until resistance was futile. G4 doesn't encourage kids or fans to think outside of what the animation offers in terms of characters, which is why the fandom is animation more than toys for a lot of people. That comparison also automatically puts G1 at a disadvantage in the eyes of these people, because it doesn't have a coherent animated canon with established characters - so thus must lack substance.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Jorgito93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 08:33:52 AM »

Yeah, they're pretty nauseating and you're probably right that that's the source of the misconception. I wonder if it's also the source of Faust's comments of her memories of MLP - because it's easy to find those on youtube these days and they do give a very bad impression of what MLP is.

That said, if you base your opinion of G1 on the commercials, it suggests your knowledge comes from google search and not from personal experience. I've seen a lot of brony comments on G1 stuff which garbles together stuff from the animation and the comic or UK story books without really understanding what the relevance is of each to their respective canons. To me that exposes people who know G1 and people who say they do and then put it down based on their mistaken understanding of it. It's always a red flag to me if someone from the US talks about something from UK pony lore as though they grew up with it, because the chances they did are minor (such as the odd brony preoccupation with Majesty). As pony fans we know the difference, but if nightmaremuffin is right that 'many fans' believe otherwise, then they're probably not actually fans, but people who did a google search and jumped to a conclusion about it instead.

For those of us who grew up with it, we know different. But that's also partly because although there are a lot of stories involved, we were also very free to create our own worlds and ideas with them. There was no enslaving animated series reinforcing the same six ponies and forcing them to dominate the toyline over and over until resistance was futile. G4 doesn't encourage kids or fans to think outside of what the animation offers in terms of characters, which is why the fandom is animation more than toys for a lot of people. That comparison also automatically puts G1 at a disadvantage in the eyes of these people, because it doesn't have a coherent animated canon with established characters - so thus must lack substance.
I could undestand how someone would think that with the commercials, especially with the later ones (the my little pony mommy ones make me laugh everytime because of how it's going way too far for a plastic toy), but if g4 fans judge g1 on the commercials, it would be like judging g4 on the commercials, and they aren't a lot better than the g1 ones.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2018, 08:53:34 AM »
Most fans don't think MLP is all sunshine and rainbows. Only loud-mouthed ignoramous fans think that.

<3

Also, people in the media who want to belittle girls' toys when they do compilation shows about toys in x generation. Because how could girls possibly cope with peril *gasp* ;)

I dunno, it just always really offends me when people say that about MLP, because if it had been that way, I would never have played with it. I hated all that stuff :/ but I did like playing zombie kingdoms and using my unicorns to put the fear of god into the boys who wanted to throw my ponies on the school roof :D

Real Life My Little Pony Stories from G1; playing transformers and ponies together with male cousin who was about 5-6 years younger than me. He was being obnoxious, and myself and my other girl cousin were getting annoyed with the way the story was going sooo...

Boy Cousin: Transformers are stronger and tougher than My Little Pony, your ponies have to do what my transformers say...Tansformers are...

Karen: (Interrupts by uses baby Ember to smash transformer toy.) Yea, that robot lost an arm and leg in a fight with a baby pony, sorry...you're warriors are weak.

The End.

XD
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 09:03:53 AM »

<3

That offends me too. Moreso when people first belittle it, then claim the more adventuresome girls franchises to not be a girl's franchise. I've heard people do that to She-Ra, Power Puff Girls, MLP and Sailor Moon.

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 09:28:47 AM »
The scaryist to me is teddy because he treats people horribly even his own mom
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 09:30:28 AM »

Given that fans of g1 were much more required to be imaginitive with creating worlds, characters, and ideas with their ponies, It pains me a bit to see that there isn't much creative content by the older gen fans. Even by way of fanfcs, at the bare minimum. I get that the internet was in its infancy back when g1 was taking off, so many older fans/collectors might not express their love in the way g4's fandom does. I get that. (Or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places for that creative content) But as someone with a piece of heart in every gen, I do desire to see fans of the older gens bring freshness and nostalgia to the table, and maybe even newfound respect in the eyes of someone new, by doing some things that the creative types in g4 tend to do. I know art and fics eist, and especially customs, mand that being older with more time to dedicate toward life in general leaves little time to do such large projects like animations and all. But damn, it would be  a really touching and nostalgic bomb to the heart if- crazy idea that will likely never happen, fans and collectors of g1 and 2 pulled in Bonnie Zacherle to help in whatever way she could, and made some sort of animation, live recording, or custom, collab pony that left its mark on Hasbro employees and g4/g5 fans. I'm tearing up just thinking about it.later
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 09:34:34 AM »
Teddy is awful.  I don't find him scary, but I do loathe him.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 09:51:35 AM »

He is awful.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2018, 12:11:39 PM »
I'm not saying I find it scary, but I find it amazing how people can take simple things in My Little Pony and turn them into something darker/less child friendly very easily.  I don't even mean in a fun fanfiction way, like they're just saying "Oh, what if this scene was more serious or more deeply explored?", but like they actually believe that this is what the scene was saying, and it is really farfetched to me.

They act like angrily playing with inanimate objects is a sign of insanity, or that looking after a pet is slavery.  It's not even just the bronies, as I have seen people state that "You Don't Know the Boy" from My Little Pony Tales makes Sweetheart look like an abused girlfriend, because the song is apparently full of Teddy (yes, him again) bullying Sweetheart and then apologising, when in actual fact, he did that just once in the entire song.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline RavenPaw

• Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2018, 12:47:56 PM »
I never found MLP to be scary, even when I was very very little.  I thought Tirek and the creatures he turned the ponies into were cool.  When I think of cartoons with dark themes I think of Watership Down, which I also loved as a kid.  But that's me, I've watched horror movies almost all my life.  I can fall asleep watching The Shinning and dream peacefully, LOL

One of my earliest MLP memories was using this toy I had, it was like a long stick with just the head of a dinosaur or a alligator on one end and a little trigger on the other end that open and closed it's mouth, I called it "the pony monster" XD  I'd use it to grab the ponies by the tail and carry them off.  The other ponies would have to go rescue them from the monster.  I believe I was mimicking the ponies being captured in Rescue at Midnight Castle.

I also remember at some point my MLPs had a war with my other toy horses.  It was a long, drawn out conflict about who was going to rule over all horse-kind.

And when I was a little older my ponies were ruled over by a tyrannical giant horse.  (a Barbie horse I believe he is)  So it certainly wasn't always rainbows and girly things in my herd.  Scary things and darker themes have always been my love.

That said, those baby ponies that sit up like human babies and with human-like proportions are truly horrific to me.  Heh, not really scary but they just creep me out in not a good way.  The Equestria Girl dolls creep me out too.  As well as BBE's of course.  The Soft Sleepy Newborns, and those little baby plushies or whatever they are.  *shudder*  Any time MLP tries to be way over the top cutesy or human-like I don't like it.  To me they are most cute when they act like what they are - horses.  (Magical horses of course, but still horsey!)

... but the only really creepy pony on the market for me is that sausage-mermaid Pinkie Pie. It reminds me of the Polymorph from Red Dwarf and I can't get that thought out of my head.
OMG it does look like the Red Dwarf Polymorph!  I never realized that before but as soon as I read that I saw it.  I'll never be able to un-see it now, thanks.  :P  Hehe.  That thing always looked ugly and wrong to me, but I couldn't put my finger on why.  Now I know, sausage-mermaid Pinkie Pie is a Polymorph!
~RavenPaw

Av base by Lady-Cybercat.  Sig base by MoogleyMog

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2018, 01:02:15 PM »
I was convinced my three year old niece would be scared of Tirek, but she handled him just fine. It was Spike that scared her.  :huh:  I wonder what she'll think of Tempest, Grubber, and the Storm King tomorrow night.

As for toys, I don't think there are any toys I find creepy in any way. My niece and I even agree that the BBE babies are pretty cute!

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2018, 01:14:17 PM »

He is awful.
its scary how realistic he is i have seen a boy just like him
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2018, 01:15:58 PM »
I'm not saying I find it scary, but I find it amazing how people can take simple things in My Little Pony and turn them into something darker/less child friendly very easily.  I don't even mean in a fun fanfiction way, like they're just saying "Oh, what if this scene was more serious or more deeply explored?", but like they actually believe that this is what the scene was saying, and it is really farfetched to me.

They act like angrily playing with inanimate objects is a sign of insanity, or that looking after a pet is slavery.  It's not even just the bronies, as I have seen people state that "You Don't Know the Boy" from My Little Pony Tales makes Sweetheart look like an abused girlfriend, because the song is apparently full of Teddy (yes, him again) bullying Sweetheart and then apologising, when in actual fact, he did that just once in the entire song.

Nothing adult or un-kid friendly about Teddy being a big, immature jerk. The cartoon depicted him that way. Plus Sweetheart is the mediator type, which leaves her ripe for getting run over roughshod by others. Phineas and Ferb did the bullying dynamic far worse between Valjeet and whats-his-face. The Bully/Nerd Shaped Hole song was just wrong,

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal