collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Plasticizer leakage?  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Plasticizer leakage?
« on: January 07, 2018, 01:45:58 PM »
I just took my collection out of storage, planning to sort through them for sales, and... they're tacky. They literally feel as though they have a film on them! On some it's barely noticable; others, like G1 Butterscotch and G3 Glitterbelle, are pretty gross.

I know that particular G3 set is known for leaking plasticizer, which makes me wonder... what causes plasticizer leakage? Is it repairable? Can one pony cause the others to 'contract' it, for lack of a better term? They've been under my bed in a plastic storage bin for years, but this the first time that I've ever seen this occur.

The only other thing I can think of is that, because of their location, they've absorbed moisture. During winter, my room has a tendency to collect condensation on the wall nearest my bed. (I recently found out about Dry-Z-Air units and am considering getting one for my room.) The ponies have been set out in rows to air out; not sure if that'll do any good. This is really frustrating!

EDIT: Not sure if this makes any difference, but there were some G2 LPS stored with them as well, and they aren't tacky. :S
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 01:49:16 PM by Pheasant »
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Plasticizer leakage?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 02:49:26 PM »
Don't think there's any way to "fix" plasticizer leakage. You just have to wait for it to finish leaking, to the point where the pony will become rock hard (G1s at least, not sure if Divine Shine G3s reach this point and become hard), then once it's all leaked out you can just clean them up and they won't leak anymore since it'll be done. Then you'll have a non-sticky, but hard, pony.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 02:59:39 PM »
How long will it take them to fossilize?

My stupidity aside, thank you for your response. I wish there was a way to fix it, it's pretty gross. :S
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 03:08:21 PM »

My stupidity aside, thank you for your response. I wish there was a way to fix it, it's pretty gross. :S

Not sure. All the ponies I have who have already gone through it did it before I got them, while all the ones I've gotten who are currently going through it after or during buying them have not finished yet. I recall seeing someone say that climate could make a difference too. It does feel really gross, I hope my Pillow Talk hurries up and finished leaking hers, since she's one of my favorites but my hand gets sticky every time I touch her.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Cadence

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 06:35:29 PM »
Is plasticizer toxic and unsafe to touch?  :huh:
 || Sig by LunaCat || :fox: :heart:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 06:40:31 PM »
Unlikely to be unsafe to touch, as it's always in the pony. It's what makes the pony a bit squishy. Probably not a good idea to be licking your ponies, though.

There is a chemical you can use to clean off the plasticizer, Formula 9-1-1. It can also remove painted features on the pony, and you will have to apply it repeatedly because it won't stop the leaking.
If you would rather not use harsh chems on your ponies, patience is always a good treatment, too.  :hope:

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 07:14:56 PM »
I agree with what others have said here - there is no real treatment to prevent it from stopping, you can just try to clean it or leave it. Plasticizer is just the plastic breaking down so there is no way to prevent it really. And since there are so many factors to when and how fast the plastic starts breaking down, there is no way to tell when it will stop and start.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 10:37:59 PM »
Plastics don't decompose for hundreds or even thousands of years. Only recently have companies started using plant based chemicals to make biodegradable plastics.

Anyway, plasticizer leaks happen due to instability of the compounds, usually from improper mixing. Heat can make it worse or trigger it to happen. Never store your ponies in other plastics, like storage bins or ziplock bags. This can also make it happen.

It is contagious, as in, the chemicals given off by one pony already in an advanced stage can cause another that is unstable to start leaking. But this only happens to stuff that's already unstable to begin with.

You can wash them in warm soapy water to help with the stickiness and then dust them in cornstarch to help absorb new layers. Depending on how fast it's going, you might need to do this once every couple of weeks to months.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Cadence

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 11:52:13 PM »
Unlikely to be unsafe to touch, as it's always in the pony. It's what makes the pony a bit squishy. Probably not a good idea to be licking your ponies, though.
Aw, no licking ponies?! :P

Thanks for the info, tailrustedtealeaf and BlackCurtains! Good to know. ^.^
 || Sig by LunaCat || :fox: :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal