collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Canadian Ebay users, question regarding customs fees.  (Read 751 times)

Offline aluke

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Canadian Ebay users, question regarding customs fees.
« on: January 07, 2018, 12:06:18 PM »
Hello my pony loving friends.

There is a non-pony item I have my sights on on Ebay, going for $118 Cad and free shipping from Thailand. For this scenario, what should I expect the customs charge to be? Is it just provincial tax (13%)? Or something more? How frequently and at what price points do y'all get hit with customs fees?

I'm not an online/international shopper (maybe a maximum of three times in my life, and they took place at least ten years ago or longer), so I'm completely ignorant in how things work nowadays. I want to know what the true price I'd be paying before deciding if I want to take the plunge. Any help will be greatly appreciated. :hug:

Offline Cadence

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Ebay users, question regarding customs fees.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 12:48:53 PM »
If you're not charged tax beforehand, you'll be taxed in Canada.

Under the provisions of the Postal Imports Remission Order, if someone mails you an item worth CAN$20 or less, there is no duty or tax payable; and if it's marked as "gift" from a friend, then that threshold rises to $60.

When it gets to customs, you'll be taxed regularly (I *believe* this is 13% - for Ontario residents anyway - but there may be other rules depending on your province and the country of the import) for the amounts above that threshold. Then the Canadian carrier will tack on another $10~ customs handling fee.

Example: I got a gift valued at $70 from the US. They charged me 13% of $10, then I paid another $10 to Canada Post.

Hope this helps!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 || Sig by LunaCat || :fox: :heart:

Offline aluke

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 12:59:30 PM »
Oh, thank you so much Cadence. I'm in Ontario too, so that helps immensely.

I wouldn't expect nor ask an ebay user to mark an item as a gift, so I'd be looking at quite the extra charge. I'm thinking it would be much more practical to have it sent to my brother in the States (where I'm under the impression customs fees are practically non-existent) and wait the six to eleven months for him to come visit.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain things with such detail. Thank you! :)

Offline Cadence

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 06:00:20 PM »
You're welcome! ^.^ It's great you have family in the US to send packages to!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 || Sig by LunaCat || :fox: :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal