collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Would it seriously cost this much for shipping!?!  (Read 2046 times)

Offline 01mlplover

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
Would it seriously cost this much for shipping!?!
« on: January 07, 2018, 09:18:26 AM »
Now I’m used to paying for shipping for G1 ponies off eBay but recently there is something I really want and just cant imagine it would cost so much.

It’s a 3.5 lb box from New Hampshire to Iowa and costs $43. I asked the seller if they could ship any cheaper and they said if that’s what eBay is telling me then it’s right because they have it set up to estimate by location, which is what I do with my auctions as well. They’ve been really nice and seem believable but ugh that shipping cost is outrageous imo. Also it’s not a huge item but decent sized.

Edit to add shipping is usps priority mail.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 09:44:49 AM by 01mlplover »

Offline Firecracker

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Would it seriously cost this much for shipping!?!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 09:35:28 AM »
Hm, is the shipping quote using usps priority mail/fedex/ups, or usps ground?
The price looks about right for priority mail 2 day, usps ground would be closer to $15 as far as gross estimates from the usps shipping calculator.

Offline 01mlplover

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 09:43:41 AM »
Shipping says usps priority

Offline Glacia471

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 10:43:59 AM »
That sounds way too high to me unless it's Express Priority. Standard Priority 2 day shipping for a 4lb box from 50001 (random Iowa zip code I grabbed) to 03031 (random New Hampshire zip code I grabbed) is  $16.45 according to usps.com.

Offline 01mlplover

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 10:52:07 AM »
Yes I agree. I decided to go estimate myself with the exact zip codes and it showed $50 for express And like $15 for regular priority. She claims the box is to big so it puts it in the oversized category... I’m not sure about that. Surely it wouldn’t make it that much more being in that category. It’s just a small playset...

Offline dragonlady

• Master of Organized Chaos
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+191)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 10:53:44 AM »
Jst for giggles I plugged in different measurements, one where it was all 12" it was around $17 but measurements of 18"Lx12"Wx12"H came out to $39.30 so it could be.

Offline 01mlplover

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 11:11:07 AM »
Jst for giggles I plugged in different measurements, one where it was all 12" it was around $17 but measurements of 18"Lx12"Wx12"H came out to $39.30 so it could be.

Well atleast I know they’re not trying to overcharge for sure but I still can’t justify spending that on shipping :( I can’t imagine what it would cost to go to California or one of the further states than me.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 11:26:41 AM »
Sounds about right for the Express Priority service....  the rule seems to be these days, if the shipping seems to be outrageous, it's correct.  ;)
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Stiletto

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 09:55:00 AM »
Yes I agree. I decided to go estimate myself with the exact zip codes and it showed $50 for express And like $15 for regular priority. She claims the box is to big so it puts it in the oversized category... I’m not sure about that. Surely it wouldn’t make it that much more being in that category. It’s just a small playset...

Sounds like your seller is lazy and haven't educated themselves on the various ways to ship things as economically as possible, and/or doesn't care too.  I'd move on and find a more realistic seller.  What is the playset?  If I have it I can promise I won't be insisting on $50 priority shipping to ship it!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 10:36:08 AM »
The oversize category adds a LOT-  once it reaches a certain size (and that size is not that huge) it's cheaper to ship UPS.

But of course I usually don't ship UPS either because it's a pain to figure out where to drop off the package... unless you have a commercial account.

I guess better that she wrap them up and ship in a large box than smash them all into a box that is too small ...

Offline 01mlplover

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 03:35:20 PM »

Sounds like your seller is lazy and haven't educated themselves on the various ways to ship things as economically as possible, and/or doesn't care too.  I'd move on and find a more realistic seller.  What is the playset?  If I have it I can promise I won't be insisting on $50 priority shipping to ship it!

It’s the G1 petite pony palace. I would really like to find it for a reasonable price. I’d be paying $80 online and that’s just not do-able for me and doesn’t seem like a fair price anyways. 

Offline silverdawn

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 03:51:05 AM »
Sadly, if the seller is using an oversized box, you start paying for volume instead of weight.  I try my best to keep measurements under 12 inches.  Once you hit a combined toral over 36 inches, the price skyrockets big time, even with regular priority mail.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 10:31:10 AM »
Ohhh, the Petite Pony Palace is a big playset.  Which may seem ironic since it's for Petites, lol. But it's tall AND wide at its base.  I came across it MIB years ago (unfortunately did not buy it) and the box was huge.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline 01mlplover

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 10:49:58 AM »
Ohhh, the Petite Pony Palace is a big playset.  Which may seem ironic since it's for Petites, lol. But it's tall AND wide at its base.  I came across it MIB years ago (unfortunately did not buy it) and the box was huge.

Ok... that’s makes sense. I have no idea how big it actually is, just assumed it was small because it’s for petites lol 😆 Id really like to own it, just wish I could find it for a decent price.

Offline Stiletto

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 12:14:55 PM »

Ok... that’s makes sense. I have no idea how big it actually is, just assumed it was small because it’s for petites lol 😆 Id really like to own it, just wish I could find it for a decent price.

The most economical way to ship it is going to be using FedEx Smart Post.  It's pretty easy for an eBay seller to ship that way as well because the charge just get applied their monthly bill -- and they can drop it off at a FedEx store or any Walgreens (at least that is true here in y state).  Although leaving packages with the brainiacs at Walgreens does seems counter productive, haha.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal