collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hopes and speculation for gen 5  (Read 9220 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Hopes and speculation for gen 5
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2018, 10:57:30 AM »
I now want a pirate wingyhorn. Not opposed to a three legged horse with an artificial leg. MH did it with Vandala. Why not?

(I am actually now wondering why G4 has never had an on screen pony in any kind of wheelchair or similar, given the pushes the team are apparently making for voice diversity in G5, maybe they could consider this as well? Again, MH did it. And if the pony is too hard, then there's EQG and no real excuse not to do it except they haven't.)

I have never known what to call them either, but as a kid I had a colouring in sheet with a bunch of them on in classical style and I gave them all names and called them unicus ponies. O.o. Thinking back...not totally sure why that seemed more logical o.O.

On that note, I do hope that other species have symbols.  G4 seems to have decided that only unicorns, Pegasus, and earth ponies are allowed to have them.  Even species that should be directly related to ponies, like the Breezies and the Hippogriffs, don't have them.  I really like the inclusion of the Hippogriffs, it's new and different but could still be made to be very pony with th right design.  So I hope in G5 they bring them back, make them not quite so leggy with hoof hair to help simulate the classic pony leg sillouhette and most importantly, symbols.

Let's not forget that we've got to a point with FIM where it's fine for the ponies to go into other cultures (I'm thinking Gilda and company here), undermine their cultural structure and, after the loss of their significant relic, tell them that it's fine because they have friendship now. And we're getting a school where the ponies get to 'educate' everyone else as to the proper way to be friends. I have some problems with the implication of those messages to kids, which is why I really support what LAW said about no more friendship. Respect, yes. Respect and learning about other peoples/customs/culture and accepting difference - yes. But forcing your concept of friendship on others - not a fan. As for the CM thing, I guess if you don't come from a population that promotes friendship, you don't get a destiny. But on the other hand, you're not tied into a destiny, so maybe it's a good thing?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2018, 11:01:24 AM »
Taffeta, FiM had a pony in a cool steampunk wheelchair. You just didn't watch that episode.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2018, 11:04:55 AM »
Taffeta, FiM had a pony in a cool steampunk wheelchair. You just didn't watch that episode.

Ah, ok then. In that case comment retracted ;) But that is still one small sideline in a big franchise. There's no toy or anything like that. Maybe G5 can make a more rounded view of diversity overall without thrusting it as a social comment in someone's face. (Normalise it maybe?)

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2018, 11:09:58 AM »
OH, I definitly agree with getting rid of the cutie mark =destiny thing.  I just want pretty ponies with symbols.

And I also agree with loosening the ties of "friendship". Not that it is a bad thing in general.  But I would like more adventure and less reliance on every moral lesson having to be a friendship one.  Or even that every episode has to have a moral outside of maybe "teamwork."

I also hope we can move away from the more urban aspects of FiM and move more towards high fantasy.  That is one of the things I really like about some of the new concept art.  It really looks like it lends itself to a more fantasy type setting and not an urban one.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 11:16:09 AM by Sunset »

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2018, 11:10:43 AM »
The character was designed and voiced by a kid in a wheelchair as part of the Make A Wish foundation. That's why there is no toy.
Otherwise, I think Scootaloo is intended to be disabled. But they are skirting around the issue just like parent death can't be mentioned, same-sex couples can't be mentioned... etc.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2018, 11:37:56 AM »
I would be happy with no store exclusive ponies the ONLY TRU around me within six hours is closing in April then there will be none near me.  My wall mart did not get ANY of the baby sea ponies and has 40+ boxes full of scenes of equestra singles. Even on mark down they are not selling, other than amazon I am sheer out of luck.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2018, 12:38:55 PM »
I would be happy with no store exclusive ponies the ONLY TRU around me within six hours is closing in April then there will be none near me.  My wall mart did not get ANY of the baby sea ponies and has 40+ boxes full of scenes of equestra singles. Even on mark down they are not selling, other than amazon I am sheer out of luck.

Baby Sea Ponies weren't store exclusives, were they? They sure weren't exclusives here, they've been everywhere, although wave 1 only appeared briefly on immediate clearance. ><
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2018, 01:23:16 PM »

Baby Sea Ponies weren't store exclusives, were they? They sure weren't exclusives here, they've been everywhere, although wave 1 only appeared briefly on immediate clearance. ><

Not the first set. They popped up in Target and TrU, but I never saw em in Wal-Mart.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2018, 01:46:58 PM »
This is show related, but I'm hoping they are more open to using the 10 minute episode format.  I felt like this last season of FiM had episodes were they could have been done in 10 minutes and were dragged out to 20 with tedious repetition.  By making some episodes 10 minutes, they could have more episode slots.  Though, I would also suggest more two-part stories as some stories could use two episodes as well.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal