collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hopes and speculation for gen 5  (Read 9105 times)

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: Hopes and speculation for gen 5
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 01:42:40 PM »
The current main characters are going to cross over into the next generation, I think that's unavoidable. It happened between G3 and G4, and for the current generation there are more kids attached to these characters than ever before. My hope is that the characters will be reimagined enough that they still feel fresh, and that the main cast does not have to stay exactly the same. Even if all of the mane 6 return in some form or other, I would like to see some new additions to the main cast.

For the show I'm not sure there's much I'd like to see changed. I think Hasbro really values having a show as a marketing device for MLP at this point. If the current staff stays and tries to learn from their mistakes from the last series, I'm sure it'll be fine. Although I doubt they'll be able to top FIM (flawed as it is, for an MLP show I think it's been very well written). The next show probably won't run for 8+ seasons in any case.

As for what I'd like from the toys. I feel I have to be somewhat realistic in what to expect, the toy market has changed a lot since I was a kid. Variation would be nice, not just in colors and poses, but I also think it would be fun to see ponies of different sizes, shapes and facial expressions. I don't need there to be huge amount of characters, and certainly not if the characters are going to look similar anyway. I'd like to see more attention paid to the accessories, since those have been pretty mediocre for most of G4. I'd like to see more animals/creatures other than ponies included in the line, but I don't think that's very likely to happen. Especially now that Hasbro has Littlest Pet Shop for that.

For instance, while generation 1 is moderately known and somewhat respected by those fans in gen4, very few (if any) know of its roots that lie in a Japanese branch of MLP  done by toy company Takara (now Takara Tomy) which produced an adorable, region exclusive, version of ponies known as “Mai Ritoruu Ponii” (My Stylish Pony), with a cast of 4 characters- Pinky and Milky being the main 2, and their friends,  Lily and Popo coming into the picture later. With these g1 characters being region exlusive, having a very limited distribution,  and never even having their own animated tv series, I think that giving them a fair shot and incoporating them in fun ways with the characters in g5 could benefit both the fans of these old and obscure ponies, but also the next generation. 
I love the Takara MLPs personally, but I doubt anyone at Hasbro is aware of them. And even if they were, they'd have no reason to reference them. And even if they wanted to, how would they even do it? There's very little to pull from. We have a character named Pinkie, even if it's by coincidence, I think that's the closest we could realistically get. :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 01:44:36 PM by SpikeTheDragon »

Offline Deep Purple Crystal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • "Jewels! Jewels in your eyes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 02:41:53 PM »
As the original creator of the G5 speculation thread (honestly, I have no idea how it spiralled into the beautiful insanity that it did, but 'twas definitely for the better), I feel the need to step in here and give my own hopes for G5:

- An entire set of potato ponies. Hasbro did good by giving us one, but it's not enough. An opportunity the size of a 3,000,000-piece alicorn is being missed here. Hasbro could issue a special collector set of the famous and beloved Potater Six (Potato Pie, Rootvegetable Dash, Tubershy, Taterjack, Potarity and Twilight Starchle) and they'd literally be printing money (with bonus collector tear vial for teaching little girls the value of watering their beloved toys). But why stop there? It isn't enough. There will never be enough potato ponies. Because potatoes.
- Larger pony eyes. We don't want to visually impair the poor equines by asking for smaller eye sizes, now do we? Remember, "open up your eyeeeeesss..."
- Longer pony names. Teaching kids the value of quality vocabulary is important. How will a pony named 'Fizzy' or some other stuff like that compare to the loquaciously resplendently descriptive name that is Princess Sparkle Sweetie Apple Cutie Dazzle Glitterbelle Sprinkles?
- Even more limited distribution. People really should get off their flanks and pursue that collecting passion of theirs. Damn, I've always wanted to visit Outer Mongolia on camelback anyway.
- Every pony is a princess. Because everyone is special. Eveeeeryone...
- Every single pony should be sold with major imperfections (heads may not be included - good luck finding the special 1-head extension pack at select bargain stores in western Siberia for $145!) at the price of $50 apiece to remind little girls of the important message that life isn't perfect, they should learn to deal with it anyway. Like a princess.
- Wider variety of profession playsets. What four-year-old kid doesn't want a nice Builder Applejack? Princess power drill included may not be safe for children under 21 years.
- Smaller ponies. Teaching kids to embrace the wonders of microscopes and science is a beautiful thing.
- More pink. More pink is more pink. Pink is more, thus more is pink. It's a symbiotic staple of the universe as we know it.
Of course, this will all come crashing down on the Doomsday of 2026, when Minty shall have her revenge, and hereafter all ponies shall be mint green and all shall come with socks and a new golden green age will descend upon the earth, causing a flourish of fluffy sock-adorned unicorns to descend from the sky dancing upon green rainbows and joyously singing the musical numbers from A Very Minty Christmas on repeat.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 02:46:19 PM by Deep Purple Crystal »

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to LordBlumiere and Corona for the amazing Masquerade and Baby Sugarcake in my sig!

Offline Jorgito93

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 02:47:38 PM »

Of course, this will all come crashing down on the Doomsday of 2026, when Minty shall have her revenge, and hereafter all ponies shall be mint green and all shall come with socks and a new golden green age will descend upon the earth, causing a flourish of fluffy sock-adorned unicorns to descend from the sky dancing upon green rainbows and joyously singing the musical numbers from A Very Minty Christmas on repeat.

This wouldn't even bother me tbh

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 03:10:33 PM »
- Smaller ponies. Teaching kids to embrace the wonders of microscopes and science is a beautiful thing.
I've always wanted to inhale them!  :lol:

- More pink. More pink is more pink. Pink is more, thus more is pink.
Sounds like G3 Pinkie brought this back etched in a stone plate.

I wouldn't mind this either. Minty is the best character this franchise has ever birthed, imo. We should all worship her. Minty 4 Santa 2026!
Spoiler

"This is my flesh" - depiction of St. Minty breaking the cake with apostle Kimono
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 03:14:01 PM by Zapper »

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 03:23:25 PM »
XD :lmao: Minty 4 Santy 2026 for sure! I can't wait for Greenie Pie, Green Applejack, Emerald Rarity, Green Dash, Grasshoppershy, and Twilight Green!

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 03:56:53 PM »
Shopkins beat you to your G5 design, Hasbro!

resemblance to the leaked image much?
Spoiler

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2018, 04:03:53 PM »

Ok I got to find this now! Strange MLP copycats I need!
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 04:04:48 PM »

Spoiler

Hah, that looks pretty cute!

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 05:24:45 PM »

Spoiler
This is what they get for not bothering to innovate for ten years and just resting on the fame of their property.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2018, 05:34:03 PM »

Spoiler

She's pretty cute! Love all the little extras.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2018, 05:48:28 PM »
Whoa, that looks like Pinkie became a lolita model nurse.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2018, 06:13:47 PM »
Whoa, that looks like Pinkie became a lolita model nurse.

If she had a normal horse head, it would balance out the big hooves and long legs.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2018, 09:33:11 PM »
Apparently some sneak peeks of those ponies were posted on youtube and on another site.
*wants to keep an eye out for the releases lol*
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2018, 09:34:30 PM »
Apparently some sneak peeks of those ponies were posted on youtube and on another site.
*wants to keep an eye out for the releases lol*

Ooh do tell!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2018, 01:19:59 AM »
This discussion continues to prove that ponypeople are a tiiiiny bit eccentric ;) and would probably terrify Hasbro ;)

In serious terms, I wouldn't want Hasbro to touch Takara ponies as an inspiration. Moreover, they're not going to. Takara ponies happened in 1985, and were Takara licencing the MLP brand from Hasbro to sell their own toys. Many Nirvana ponies were made by other companies under licence but Takara is probably the most extremely separate because absolutely no aspect of the packaging resembles anything G1. Also, even the Japanese barely know what Takara ponies are (trust me on that). More Japanese people grew up with mainstream G1 ponies due to travelling with families to America or Europe because of a parents' work position than did with Takara ponies, which basically says everything to me about the Takara ponies. If they were more common they would be less expensive, but even in Japan they are not easy to find and as lot of people don't know about them. Hasbro are not going to base their entire product on a toy design that essentially failed in the bigger picture, because a handful of G1 collectors like them. I mean, they basically imported the themes of Jem into MLP EQG because Jem failed as a toyline in the 1980s, and Jem was much more widely known and available than something like Takara (as well as being made by Hasbro).

My hopes for G5, if there is one would be...
-Kill the mane six concept entirely and go back to individual ponies with individual identities
Hopefully kill the current mane 6 characters too, or most of them. Applejack is the only one I find acceptable to carry through because of her long heritage through the generations.
-Bring out more variety of ponies, styles, and characters each year, rather than repetition.
-Unicorns, pegasus ponies - yes. Alicorns -no. It's overkill, we don't need it and never did.

I don't care if there is a TV show, but I'd like Hasbro to do more to promote the individual stories of each pony beyond the TV show. I don't mind if G5 look at all like G1 or not, but I would like a toy line for which the toy is primary and the TV series secondary advertising again. When the TV show becomes primary, it creates crazy.

Alternatively, they could just take on DarkPurpleCrystal's entire suggestion list. It would at least be something to see if they did ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal