collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Coloring Books?  (Read 1426 times)

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
Coloring Books?
« on: January 05, 2018, 07:53:18 PM »
Over the winter break last week, after getting some coloring books in a swap, I got bored and started to color in them. I've started to go at it again since I'll be taking it easy for the next couple of days since getting my wisdom teeth (plus another that got impacted by one) pulled. I've started to develop more of an interest in it, getting some new colored pencils and a few more books.

I know adult coloring books have been a thing for a few years, but does anyone else mostly color in the kid's books? I tend to look more at those since they're cheaper, and they are plenty of MLP ones that catch my eye. I did just get one of the adult coloring books for the MLP Movie, but I don't feel like coloring in it since it's too nice.  :lol:

I've also found that some ponies can be more difficult than expected since I have to mix colors sometimes to get ones that match them well enough (S1 Luna, in particular).

So, I'm curious. Everyone here who colors, what kind of coloring books do you get and what do you color with? Also, if you find a certain page or picture you really like, do you not color it in because you don't want to mess it up? I hope I'm not the only one.

Offline Akemi-chan

• Matcha-flavored Teeny Tiny
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+147)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Baby Pony Addict
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: Coloring Books?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 10:39:23 PM »
I've jumped on the coloring book train late in the game too (only started last year), but it's addicting!  I think I like collecting coloring books more than coloring in them because I've acquired quite a pile with untouched pages, lol. 

I generally like using watercolor pencils and sharpies (with paper underneath to protect); sharpies are awesome because they come in almost every shade of the rainbow, and mimic copic markers (very expensive art pens that make shading effortless). 

I haven't come across a page I didn't want to ruin just yet (maybe because I haven't really sat and flipped through all my books yet, lol), but I would probably make a photocopy and color that instead.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Have you fan-girled today, [you]?
*For Sale or Trade*
*Wishlist*

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 11:02:50 PM »
I have a number of colouring books; the Enchanted forest, Lost ocean, Tiles, Celtic Figures and Garden Colouring, but I am quite particular of what I want. ^.^ I like thin lines, and complicated patterns, not people or animals, so a number of pages are likely to never be painted. Seaweed is ok and some trees and plants but not huge fishes or skies. If some huge animal has a pattern (like a flowerbed) I can paint the pattern and ignore the rest. My favorite book is filled with tiles. It's pretty much only patterns in tiles and unfortunatley all the fun pages is filled now. Celtic Figures was a dissapointment as many pages has human faces or are suppose to be birds or wolfs intertwined. They are surrounded by pretty patterns tho so I usually paint the frame and ignore the actual picture lol.

If I find a picture I really like I don't jump on it directly but rather think for a while to get hand of how the pic makes me feel and come up with an idea of a colurscheme. I can in fact colour one page while thinking and pondering over another one. :blush:

As for pens, I use two brands of fibre pens. One is Stabilo, they come with both thick and thin tips and can be bought separatly so I don't have to get an entire new package when I run out of one colour. I also have Triplus color fibre-tip pens but as they only have packages of 20 pens I am more restrictive in using those. The black one is awesome tho as it's really black. :satisfied:

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 08:17:52 AM »
I collect coloring books that fit in with things I like such as Lion King, MLP and I have a How to Train Your Dragon one but I don't really color in them anymore. Last time I did I think was in one of the Lion King ones I bought in 2003 after Special Edition came out. That's not to sound all high horse and 'Oh I'm too old and mature for coloring' or anything cuz that's not it at all. I just am not very interested in it personally and think it's awesome for the ones that are into it.^^ I really like how it gives people who cannot draw their own creative outlet most of all.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 08:20:07 AM by Koudoawaia »

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 08:34:40 AM »
I've been coloring in coloring books for 30+ years now.  I use crayons, colored pencils, gel pens, markers...you name it, I've used it in a coloring book.  I don't care if the coloring book is labeled as "adult" because any coloring book that an adult colors in is an adult coloring book. :lol:  Also, a lot of the "adult" coloring books don't appeal to me because I think the artwork is ugly.  And some of them are just plain disappointing.  Like the Mickey and Minnie coloring book that I saw where half the pages were just black silhouettes of Mickey Mouse. There's nothing to color but the plain background.  My favorite of the Disney "Adult" coloring books is The Art of Coloring: Disney Animals.  It even has the oysters from Alice in Wonderland. 

I don't like that you can't get just coloring books hardly at all anymore.  Now they're "activity" books with mazes and puzzles and stickers and all sorts of stuff.  I have found that the coloring books I buy from Disney World when I go are just pictures and not activities, which I like so I generally buy more than one.  Also having extras lets me share them with my nieces and nephews and I generally still get to color the picture that I wanted to color without restricting which picture they pick.

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 08:55:23 AM »
I've got Dragon Age colouring book. Haven't started it yet because I have to have pictures of the characters so that I can copy the colours.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 10:34:00 AM »
I have a few adult colouring books :)  I prefer them because its more natural for me to gradiant in colour and shade vs a big block of animal or person in a kids book.

I punked moms she got for th holidays a bit ago but I haven't touched anything lately does to my wrist really hurting ^^'

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Cadence

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 10:28:52 PM »
I have the MLP: The Movie colouring book.  :blush:
 || Sig by LunaCat || :fox: :heart:

Online Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 06:24:35 PM »
I love to color and have so many coloring books. I usually use gel pens but also use colored pencils markers and Sharpies. If I really really love a coloring book I will buy an extra copy so I can have one that is still blank. 

I was also dissapointed in the Mickey and Minnie book.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 08:55:42 PM »
I tend to go for kids coloring books, because a lot of the adult ones are just shapes and are really intricate, not really meant for shading and the like. I have coloring book for dragons, various G4 MLP (including a movie one), animorphia, mythomorphia, & Book of Beasts. Lots of mythology stuff  ;)

I promise this will be finished one day XD This is an old photo, there's been progress, but it's STILL not done

This from an oversized coloring book with kinda thin paper. IT let me do some nice layering and soft details!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 08:59:37 PM by Bekuno »
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline aluke

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 09:17:58 PM »
Bekuno- Feel like sharing said progress you made on the first one??? It looks SO pretty!

When I (used to) babysit, I'm always happy to have colouring time and claim a page to colour myself. It's pretty fun to return to crayons and crayola markers, though I'm not very successful with shading with those mediums.

Otherwise, I have two adult colouring books myself, one with patterned animals I got in a secret santa that I've so far only coloured in one and a half pages...about two years ago.  ^^; Then Charmer sent me an MLP one as a prize for the 12 Days contest that I find too pretty to ruin with my mediocre traditional colouring skills. Adult colouring books are a lot more intimidating than children's ones to me I guess.

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 11:27:02 PM »
Bekuno, I love that intricate green stag!!  :lovey:

I love colouring but rarely get a chance to do it.

I am lucky enough to still own my old Karisma pencils which are a joy to use, but also have a select stash of Derwent, Prismas and Faber ones too for special projects. Invested in a few new Caran d'Ache Luminance ones recently (expensive, but more resilient against sunfading).

But I actually *really* enjoy using the inexpensive art pencil set from WH Smith (UK) - nice and rich pigment with decent blending - at a fraction of the price of "serious" art pencils  :P highly recommend them to newbies and veterans alike!

I can't stand badly made pencils with too-little pigment mixed with too-much waxy base. I would rather cut those pencils up to make as earrings or stick them onto something as a decoration than actually annoy myself with colouring-in with them! But then, I am a bit of a pencil snob!  :lol:

(Yes, I studied Art and Architecture!)

:cool:

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 11:18:33 AM »
Bekuno- Feel like sharing said progress you made on the first one??? It looks SO pretty!

Sure  ;) Forgive the poor photo quality!

I was trying to go for a theme of life vs death / nature vs decay. so while the right stag is vibrant and full of lively critters, the left stag has dying/burnt vegetation, smoke, and endangered/extinct animals. This image is from the Animorphia coloring book!

Since I forgot to mention, I only color with prismacolor pencils! I know it may be silly to use artist pencils in kids coloring books and such, but they get the job done, and at least this way they're getting some use now that I do more digital art :)

Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 12:38:22 PM »
I have so many books, yet I keep buying more!
I really like the Dover Colouring series, especially with older costumes.

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 12:41:27 PM »
Bekuno, I think the theme suits it very well. The green stag is stunning and the other one is beautiful in it's own decaying way.

Speaking of.. I found this colouringbook today! I was like; It's UNICORNS! *smile from ear to ear* It was the pic in the middle of the lower road that really sold it, lol. I am so excited to start painting in it!

IMG_20180109_163654_989 by Veronica Öhman, on Flickr

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal