collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Disney Tips & Other Stuff to Do in Orlando  (Read 847 times)

Offline STLGusty

• Hockey Pony
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
Disney Tips & Other Stuff to Do in Orlando
« on: January 06, 2018, 02:30:09 AM »
Hey, all... I figure with the fair being in Orlando, maybe we can start a thread of suggestions on other things that are pretty neat to do/visit in the area.

I actually had a question for those a little more "in the know" than me... My parents were thinking of joining my husband, kid, and myself in Orlando (my parents will be camping down there).  We debated going to Disney for a couple days since I probably haven't been there in over 15 years...  Does anyone have any tips or websites on where to find deals on tickets (that are actually legitimate? lol)??

Are the closest beaches to this area "nice" beaches? (I don't know how to else to ask..like - are they dirty? Super duper crowded?  Etc.)

What other cool things are there to do in the area??  I know there's a lot!

Thanks!

Offline drusilla

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Got to love ponies
    • http://www.undead455.com
Re: Disney Tips & Other Stuff to Do in Orlando
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 03:01:24 AM »
yes, i would love to know as well, i have been doing a ton of searches of stuff to do around the hotel. the hotel is located on a really busy street with a ton of cool things,.

so far i see if you buy a 7 dollar trolley pass it is good for 3 days and will take you almost anywhere. the pass is unlimited for 3 days and can be used for free transfers between trolley directions.  the cool thing is there is  a trolley map of all the fun places it stops at.  the hotel is stop number 20  :)

there is a chocolate museum !!!! there is even a bone museum.  titanic display.  there is a dave and busters.. plus at least 3 huge shopping malls not to far from each other. plus literately a ton more. im still checking it all out. im not a roller-coaster ride person so i am looking for different things to do that will not take all day. so i can get more in

the trolley will even take you to universal and sea world.  i would love to go see the manatees and shark tanks at sea world but im  having trouble finding out exactly what tickets i need and how much. it seems if i understand right i have to buy the entrance to sea world and then an additional 15 dollar ticket to the sharks/??  i just have not had this confirmed yet l

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+352)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 02:26:59 PM »
Sea World: You can see all the animals they have under their general admission price, but then they  have add-on experiences for an extra cost (up close & personal, feeding, etc with dolphins, penguins, etc). The shark tube that you walk through is part of the general admission. There’s also a restaurant alongside the shark tank where they swim by while you eat (but I will warn you that all the meals there are “fancy” & expensive). We had a reservation for lunch there, but after seeing the choices & prices, took my picky child to a pizza & burgers lunch spot instead. :P If you go to all the shows, it can be hard to fit everything into a single day, even if you skip the rides. We had a season pass last year, and saw a bunch we missed the second time around. If you want to catch all of the shows, plan your schedule before you go so you can make the best use of time.

Offline drusilla

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Got to love ponies
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 03:12:44 PM »
thanks kitkatvintage :)  good to know... the location is so awesome with so much to do im not sure where to start LOL

Offline Prince_Sunbeam

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • Avatar by Whippycorn *colored by me
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 08:24:49 PM »
This thread is a great idea!

My wife mentioned that for Disney it's smart to get the "park hopper" so you can visit multiple areas on the same day.
Formerly known as SolsticeAdam
  Collection Instagram: prince_sunbeam     CLICK FOR PONY WANT LIST!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline sweetiebabyfizzy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony Mommy, with a pony family...
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 02:38:39 PM »
I'm going to be there early by myself. KitKatVintage already posted about what my plans are! I love Disney world, but I was just there in 2009, and I would rather wait and go with my hubby. So, I am planning a solo trip so Sea World!! I super pumped!!!! ahhh I am defintley adding on the extra stuff to get uo and close with the animals. Right now they are only taking reservations out until April.  :lol: So I'll keep checking back to see the schedule. I would like to ride the rides too much the animals are more important.

What are your plans?

PS who is excited!!!!!!

Offline SundanceSadie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 03:37:01 AM »
Hi guys :)
This thread is such a great idea! I'd be more than happy to answer any Disney related questions that I can. I'm a Florida girl and Disney annual pass holder myself, so I've earned some experience over the years that may be useful.

For STLgusty...I don't purchase tickets myself, since our family does the annual pass thing, but I would recommend the website mousesavers.com as a reputable source for all things Disney, Universal, and SeaWorld. There is even a page on their website devoted to purchasing discount tickets and how not to get scammed. I've used their website for different things for over 15 years and have been happy. I'll just recommend that one for now since I have the most experience with them, but there are lots of other good ones more specific to planning your park visit if you're interested.

For anyone considering visiting Disney Parks, my biggest tip would probably be purchasing your tickets online more than 30 days before you want to visit. The reason is this, fastpass reservations can be made starting 30 days out at 7:00 a.m. Eastern time. There is no charge for fastpasses but they can allow you to skip the crazy long waits at some of the more popular attractions. If anyone wants more info please feel free to ask or private message me :)

I can also answer other things about specific parks, restaurants, Disney Springs (formerly Downtown Disney), free or super affordable Disney experiences, or even what to pack for a day at the park. I really don't want to seem like a know it all...because I certainly don't! I just want to help anyone considering Disney because I know it can be incredibly overwhelming with a sometimes steep learning curve.

Online Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 02:47:07 PM »
Great thread idea!   I have not been to the actual Disney parks in a while, but we always liked stopping by Downtown Disney while in Orlando since there was no cost to get in and it had a bunch of awesome themed shops and restaurants and fun things going on (I could spend hours there, especially in the Once Upon a Toy store).  But as said above, it is now known as Disney Springs.  Sundance Sadie, aside from the name change, do you know if most of the shops are the same or if it is still free to enter?  It's been a few years since I've been there.  Thanks everyone for sharing ideas!

Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

Offline SundanceSadie

• Captain Jack Pony
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 06:42:40 PM »
Hi Brightglowpony :)
The answer is both yes and no. You're right on that's it's a great free place to experience some Disney things  :thumb:

I've always loved the Once Upon a Toy store too! I'm not sure when it'll be finished but it's currently undergoing refurbishment.

The area known as the Marketplace, where the World of Disney is located, is relatively unchanged but the rest of the area is almost unrecognizable! There are now tons and tons of food options as well as new shopping experiences. I think you'll be shocked by how much has been built since you were last there. One of the most affordable and always tasty food options there, in my opinion, is still Earl of Sandwich. And on the plus side it's near Gihradellis ice cream with their fresh made waffle cones ;)
Parking is soooo much easier now too since they put in parking garages which are free of charge.
   A few free fun things for adults and kids to do there...
At the Lego store (you get to build stuff!)
Little concerts at the music pavilion in front of World of Disney.
The World of Disney store...walk in and look up ;)
At the Coca-Cola store take the elevator to the top...there's a neat glass railed terrace and rooftop drink bar. You can see the entire Disney Springs area from there!
The Art of Disney store...just go in to look at the tons of art displayed.

There's lots more I can share about this area if anyone is interested. One last thing, just be aware that there are some great sit down restaurants in Disney Springs but they can be a bit pricey so check out their menu in advance if you're on a budget ;)

Online Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 05:30:19 AM »
Thank you SO much for sharing that information, SundanceSadie!  Wow it sounds like it would be such a fun stop for fair goers! :D   
Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

Offline renaekathleen

• Captain Jack Pony
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 06:38:04 PM »
I'm personally not into animal parks/zoos (they bum me out) but a couple cool non-theme-park things I found were the Titanic Artifact Exhibit (http://www.premierexhibitions.com/exhibitions/3/3/titanic-artifact-exhibition) and the Museum of Osteology Orlando (http://skeletonmuseum.com/skeletons-orlando.php). :)

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 09:30:36 PM »
I will follow this thread, because even though I won't be going to the fair :( , my husband and I are leaving a week from tomorrow for our honeymoon in Orlando!  I have never been to FL and can use all the help that I can get.

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline cutegladgirl

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Tout arrive pour une raison.
    • My Blog "Daily Glad."
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 08:05:39 PM »
The week of the fair, I'm planning to to arrive on Thursday and then enjoy that Friday to go to Epcot. My favorite Disney park. :-) Anyone else want to join me?? Haha.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:07:18 PM by cutegladgirl »
My name is Glad. I'm glad to meet you.

Offline drusilla

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Got to love ponies
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 10:06:25 PM »
cutegladgirl i am arriving on Thursday as well, im showing up at 10.30 am. are you coming in the same time ?

Offline cutegladgirl

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Tout arrive pour une raison.
    • My Blog "Daily Glad."
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 07:25:41 AM »
cutegladgirl i am arriving on Thursday as well, im showing up at 10.30 am. are you coming in the same time ?

I’ll be flying in. Arriving at about 8pm that night.
My name is Glad. I'm glad to meet you.