collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New 35th Anniversary Collector Ponies Spotted! Pics!  (Read 140574 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: New 35th Anniversary Collector Ponies Spotted! Pics!
« Reply #570 on: January 19, 2018, 01:26:36 PM »
Ah, I didn't mean to imply that they were only sold in the UK . . . but that they weren't produced everywhere (the US, South America) . . . I mean if we're getting technical literally no pony has had a universal release.  Like Japan didn't get any "normal" (non-Takara) MLPs at all as far as I know.  No one outside Japan got Takaras.

No, but there are the Takara fakies which is just weird, as though they somehow knew but didn't? O.o.
Japan didn't have anything but Takara and the Japanese people I've spoken to didn't really know about them - but there are probably more G1 ponies in Japan than Takara now, because of all the families who spent 4-5 year spells abroad in the US or the UK during that time period. I know my sister had a friend who had ponies which she took back with her, and if you look on Japanese auctions, they're more flooded with beat up G1 than Takara (irony O.O)

You're right, though. I don't mind exclusives except when one country gets all of them (as pretty much happened with G3...not totally, but almost entirely because of silly US store exclusive ponies that didn't ship out of the US. I don't have a problem with different things in different places if everyone has something to trade. I just have problems with one market getting everything and nowhere else getting anything. So long as that doesn't happen, I'm good.

Though if Glory comes out in the US and not the UK again in the next wave I will eat them. O.O.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #571 on: January 19, 2018, 01:31:27 PM »
The Takara fakies are so odd.  Although . . . were Takaras made in China (or Hong Kong)?   I guess a Chinese bootlegger just swiped one off the assembly line and thought it was sufficiently cute to replicate?  It is funny . . . I wonder how many Takara bootlegs were passed up by collectors before we collectively realized they were "real" MLPs.  (Too bad those bootleggers didn't hit the piggy ponies as well, ha ha.)

Spoiler
I gotta be honest though, I don't actually like Takaras or piggy ponies, ha ha.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:33:16 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 19, 2018, 01:32:47 PM »

On First Born and the mystery pony, I honestly think their similarities are a coincidence.  White magical horse + rainbows is a really common, iconic look.  Whisper the Winged Unicorn also looks similar to both of them (besides being a winged unicorn obviously) and so does Starlite from Rainbow Brite, and so do Lisa Frank horses . . . My guess is that Hasbro told Sunbow "hey, we're making Rainbow ponies so put them in too" and Sunbow misunderstood and put in a very "rainbow-y" pony.  :P

I know that mystery pony carries Twinkles on her back but I don't think she's a "proto-Peachy" because Peachy was suuuuch an early pony (she even has a flat-foot version) and mystery pony is too "fancy" to be a Year 1 design.

Regardless of origins, I'd love for Mystery Pony to be a 'real' pony.  And hey, maybe she can just be named Mystery.  ;)

Ooooo, this post made me think,  "Sunbow" would actually be a lovely name! And a nice nod to her one and only appearance.  *And* perfectly in harmony with the other Rainbow pony names.

I know, I know.  As Taffeta said, "trademark nightmare"

But regardless, "Sunbow" is now her name in my head.  *nods*

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 19, 2018, 01:34:53 PM »
OMG.  I actually think that name WOULD be possible.  Because Sunbow was sold in 1998, and then the rights for its animated features were sold again and passed around and around until . . .

HASBRO bought the rights to the entire Sunbow library in 2008!

I'm no expert on law but it seems like Hasbro would have the right to that name if anyone would.

Edit:  You know what would rock?  If they made her AND she was sold with a DVD version of the FULL uncut Rescue at Midnight Castle.  The version on the MLP & Friends DVDs has a song cut out.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:36:33 PM by LadyMoondancer »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 19, 2018, 01:38:36 PM »
I just got an email response back from Bridge Direct confirmating the Rainbow Ponies are European exclusives. They have no current plans to release them elsewhere but said maybe someday that would change. So let’s keep letting them know we all want all sets released wherever we live!

To be honest, I'm not that upset by this. I mean, if both Europe and the States are not each getting the releases, then it's only fair that one gets one and one gets the other. And we can always trade with each other on the forum.

This reminds me of the blind bag thing, how the States got Wave One, but then Wave Two was in Europe only.

I'd really prefer to there to be no exclusives period. That everywhere could get all the sets. I'm still worried about not getting any of these where I live and having no sets to offer in trade. I've contacted Indigo, and the stores in my area, and both know nothing about them. I've been torn between being excited about these being made and scared that I won't be able to get any. I know I'm luckier than some as Canada is supposed to get some and some regions don't even have that information yet. I just feel like it would be a lot less stressful if everyone knew they'd be able to buy them in local stores and not have to worry about currency conversions, mark ups, and shipping.

Agreed
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: January 19, 2018, 01:39:00 PM »

On First Born and the mystery pony, I honestly think their similarities are a coincidence.  White magical horse + rainbows is a really common, iconic look.  Whisper the Winged Unicorn also looks similar to both of them (besides being a winged unicorn obviously) and so does Starlite from Rainbow Brite, and so do Lisa Frank horses . . . My guess is that Hasbro told Sunbow "hey, we're making Rainbow ponies so put them in too" and Sunbow misunderstood and put in a very "rainbow-y" pony.  :P

I know that mystery pony carries Twinkles on her back but I don't think she's a "proto-Peachy" because Peachy was suuuuch an early pony (she even has a flat-foot version) and mystery pony is too "fancy" to be a Year 1 design.

Regardless of origins, I'd love for Mystery Pony to be a 'real' pony.  And hey, maybe she can just be named Mystery.  ;)

Ooooo, this post made me think,  "Sunbow" would actually be a lovely name! And a nice nod to her one and only appearance.  *And* perfectly in harmony with the other Rainbow pony names.

I know, I know.  As Taffeta said, "trademark nightmare"

But regardless, "Sunbow" is now her name in my head.  *nods*

It totally would!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Sunset

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 19, 2018, 01:42:31 PM »
OMG.  I actually think that name WOULD be possible.  Because Sunbow was sold in 1998, and then the rights for its animated features were sold again and passed around and around until . . .

HASBRO bought the rights to the entire Sunbow library in 2008!

I'm no expert on law but it seems like Hasbro would have the right to that name if anyone would.

Edit:  You know what would rock?  If they made her AND she was sold with a DVD version of the FULL uncut Rescue at Midnight Castle.  The version on the MLP & Friends DVDs has a song cut out.

*grabs LadyMoondancer and does a jig*

Hhehehehe!

Well, if it ever looks likely that they will make her, I will definitely put that name up for consideration!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 19, 2018, 01:45:01 PM »
Even if they don't I am also headcannoning it as her name now. :P

Offline Sunset

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 19, 2018, 01:48:47 PM »

I would die!  Do you know I've actually considered buying a bunch of equipment I don't really need just to record my vhs tape to DVD so I wouldn't have to worry about the tape being damaged?

*edit*

Ok, I just couldn't resist messaging this idea to them on Facebook.  The poor person who answers their messages!  They probably don't  have any kind of say in the company but you never know when something might make its way up the chain of command :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 02:14:54 PM by Sunset »

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: January 19, 2018, 02:27:56 PM »
My theory on Miss Mystery (as I seem to have ended up calling her XD)-'s origins is similar to yours, LadyMoondancer.. I believe that the special was most likely originally storyboarded with that pony as Peachy (thus explaining why she's always shown with Twinkles), and then Hasbro requested that they put in a Rainbow pony to promote those. Either they didn't have finalized designs for the Rainbows and just told the cartoon crew to make something up, or as you suggested there was a miscommunication. And then they took Peachy and replaced her design with the mystery rainbow pony's.

I think the similarities between her and First Born are a coincidence, buuuut also I think First Born is as good a name for her as any. That's what I tend to think of her as :) Or they could just avoid it and not name her at all, I guess, haha. Sunbow is a really cute name for her, too!!

omg yes!!
(Also, the DVD version actually has two and a half songs cut out ;) the Moochick's song, half of the opening theme and all of the ending theme.)

Offline RavenPaw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 19, 2018, 06:02:37 PM »
I'm so disgusted.

I am torn.  I want the rainbow ponies but I don't want to give stupid Bridge Direct or Basic fun or who ever the heck it is any of my money.

I guess I'll eventually give in and ask a kind person in Europe to trade with me, if they want the collector ponies, or I could just send money to them, I'm okay with a small markup for time and gas spent.  But for now I'm just gonna be grumpy.

At least I won't have to shell out for the Pretty Parlor.  I certainly don't want that with no Peachy.  :P
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 06:31:21 PM by RavenPaw »
~RavenPaw

Av base by Lady-Cybercat.  Sig base by MoogleyMog

Offline MoonShadow

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
    • Youtube!
« Reply #581 on: January 19, 2018, 07:14:39 PM »
Aww... I'm really bummed about the Rainbow Ponies being regional exclusives...  Honestly, I would think they would sell better among kids than the collector ponies--there's just more variety.  As expensive as molds are to make, it is really surprising Bridge/BasicFun would create three for such a limited release... Hopefully all sets will make their way around the rest of the world eventually.

Otherwise, I'm not looking forward to importing... I tried to send a small package overseas a few weeks ago.  Post office quoted $40 bucks.  I told em to forget it...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 05:54:16 AM by MoonShadow »

Offline Bebopgroove

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Esoterous
« Reply #582 on: January 19, 2018, 07:19:31 PM »
I'll more than likely end up buying from ebay as I am wont to do -_- Though I'll try the Arena first.. I just don't think I can track down another Collector's set for trading... It is frustrating, but I'm sure I'll get them one way or another..

My Wattpad | Flickr gallery (coming soon)
PSN: bebopgroove
Xbox: bebopgroove

Offline RavenPaw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 19, 2018, 07:46:22 PM »
Honestly, with the Parlor not having Peachy with it I'm kinda over these repos for now.  I told you all I would cry and well I am.   :wail: 

They've already got the mold and she's got the same symbol as Snuzzle so it wouldn't have been that hard.   :cloud:
~RavenPaw

Av base by Lady-Cybercat.  Sig base by MoogleyMog

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 19, 2018, 08:10:00 PM »
Not sure why people think the Pretty Parlor doesn't come with Peachy?  I haven't seen any news to that effect?  In the one picture we've seen, Peachy is in the picture.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal