collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: eBay - I can't refund my buyer  (Read 3167 times)

Offline foalpatrol

• Hello, Clarice
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
eBay - I can't refund my buyer
« on: January 04, 2018, 12:28:39 AM »
A buyer opened an unreceived item case on ebay. When I attempt to refund through the resolution centre it says:

"There was a problem sending your refund to the buyer.  To try again or to see what's wrong, go to PayPal."

When I log into PayPal, the funds for the transaction are on hold saying:

"Your buyer has opened a dispute on this transaction. Sign in to your eBay account for more information on how to resolve it." with no option to refund.

I'm going round in circles.  And if I wait for eBay to step in and refund the buyer, it will count against me as a seller.

Any idea how to refund the buyer?  I'm not located in the US, and not in a position to be making lengthy international phone calls to eBay.

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
Re: eBay - I can't refund my buyer
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 05:15:37 AM »
There is an option for eBay to call you and there is also a help search. I'm just wondering whether your buyer waited long enough before opening this case and this may be the reason that you can't refund them? Also, if you did everything correctly (tracking number, etc.) and this buyer may have done this to other sellers, eBay maybe has marked them as a problem buyer and so the problem is really at their end?

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 07:54:55 AM »
A buyer opened an unreceived item case on ebay. When I attempt to refund through the resolution centre it says:

"There was a problem sending your refund to the buyer.  To try again or to see what's wrong, go to PayPal."

When I log into PayPal, the funds for the transaction are on hold saying:

"Your buyer has opened a dispute on this transaction. Sign in to your eBay account for more information on how to resolve it." with no option to refund.

I'm going round in circles.  And if I wait for eBay to step in and refund the buyer, it will count against me as a seller.

Any idea how to refund the buyer?  I'm not located in the US, and not in a position to be making lengthy international phone calls to eBay.

If you have Skype they have free toll-free calling, which may be used in conjunction with this:
https://www.howtocallabroad.com/qa/toll-free.html

I'm sorry if I am not much help, but I figured I'd try. I am in the US so I don't know if this actually works so you can call eBay.

Offline foalpatrol

• Hello, Clarice
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 12:37:38 PM »
Thanks for the info about having eBay call me.  I tried that, and despite it saying my number wasn't valid, I received a call a from them couple of minutes later. 

I then spent 72 minutes in a three-way call with eBay and PayPal after being repeatedly transferred between them, as eBay said I needed to talk to PayPal, and PayPal said I needed to talk to eBay.

eBay told me that they could not step in and refund the buyer without giving me a defect. 

In the end, while on the phone, I refunded the buyer by sending the money directly as a friends and family payment, PayPal gave eBay the transaction ID and confirmed I'd made the payment, and eBay said they would close the case in my favour which could take 24-48 hours. 

I'll believe it when I see it.  I'm fully anticipating having to spend more time on the phone.

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 01:10:10 PM »
Thanks for the info about having eBay call me.  I tried that, and despite it saying my number wasn't valid, I received a call a from them couple of minutes later. 

I then spent 72 minutes in a three-way call with eBay and PayPal after being repeatedly transferred between them, as eBay said I needed to talk to PayPal, and PayPal said I needed to talk to eBay.

eBay told me that they could not step in and refund the buyer without giving me a defect. 

In the end, while on the phone, I refunded the buyer by sending the money directly as a friends and family payment, PayPal gave eBay the transaction ID and confirmed I'd made the payment, and eBay said they would close the case in my favour which could take 24-48 hours. 

I'll believe it when I see it.  I'm fully anticipating having to spend more time on the phone.

Keep us posted on what happens! I'm curious as to why you are being put through this whole charade and why it's not an easy fix.

Offline foalpatrol

• Hello, Clarice
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 12:29:00 PM »
Well, surprise surprise, 48 hours later and eBay has not closed the case and the funds are still on hold. 

I went back to eBay to request another call, but that option had disappeared and there was instead only an email option, so I've sent them a long-winded email with the whole story, requesting that the case be closed, and my fees refunded.

On a side note, it appears the exchange rates have changed since the auction closed.  The buyer contacted me to say the payment she received was less than what she had paid.  I sent her back the exact amount she paid in USD, it appears to have been automatically converted to her own currency and was about 10% less than what she paid originally. My concern is that if she doesn't feel she has been fully refunded, she may request a refund via ebay which will result in the funds being removed from me a second time, as eBay haven't done what they promised and the case is still open!

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 01:02:57 PM »
I would explain to the buyer the situation and ask her maybe if there was a way for them to contact eBay about the refund since they are in the U.S. It's a long shot, but if they are understanding about your situation they may work with you.

Offline foalpatrol

• Hello, Clarice
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 01:20:45 PM »
I would explain to the buyer the situation and ask her maybe if there was a way for them to contact eBay about the refund since they are in the U.S. It's a long shot, but if they are understanding about your situation they may work with you.

The buyer has been OK to work with, but I'm also dealing with a language barrier.  It's probably best if I refrain from asking her to take any action as there's a chance it could be misinterpreted.  I have explained to her any difference in the amount she paid/received is due to exchange rates. 

Edited to add:

This is a nightmare.  The buyer has responded "Sorry. But your compensation does not cover my expenses. It seems to me that you have not considered shipping costs. You need to compensate for 834,54 RUB. Or I'm willing to wait for a decision from Ebay. You will return my payment from 12.11.2017. I return your payment from 04.01.2018."

I have refunded her in full.  I cannot be held responsible for exchange rates!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 06:43:10 PM by foalpatrol »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 01:36:57 AM »
What currency was the transaction carried out in? If your auction was listed in your currency, then that is the amount you are obligated to refund. You are not responsible for changes in the exchange rate, and I think Ebay would back you on that because they would simply ask you to refund the amount of the auction, which would be the exact amount in that currency. It's the buyer's bad luck if the exchange rate changed mid transaction, but you don't need to send her more money than she is entitled to.

You need to pass this demand on to ebay - if the case is still open, then make an additional statement about it on the case (and in fact, all of these issues). I never use ebay over the phone because it's hard to prove you've had that conversation, too many reps (that and the fact I hate phones, but yeah). If it's in writing on the case then there's a paper trail. I don't know how much access you have to this but you must be able to add comments to a still open case.

In any case, if your sale was in your currency, not hers, your buyer is now demanding additional funds beyond the cost of the auction as recorded by ebay. That ought to be something they take up and handle.

NO guarantees being that it's ebay, but you can only refund the amount she bid in the currency she bid.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 02:20:33 AM »
I'll preface this by saying I have no experience selling.

That said, I agree with Taffeta. You've refunded the buyer. The matter should be closed. Notate in the case when the buyer was refunded, the conversion issue, and all the stuff that's transpired with the reps on the phone. I don't know what kind of character limit there is when you respond to a case but the more detail you can put in the better so that whomever settles the case has all the facts.

I'm sorry you're going through this, because it really shows negligence on the part of both Ebay and PayPal.

Offline foalpatrol

• Hello, Clarice
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 12:15:47 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  As she can ask eBay to step in today, I will respond to the case with a summary of what has occurred so far including the PayPal transaction reference. Hopefully eBay will actually read it before making a decision.

I feel for the buyer and don't think she should be disadvantaged by failures on eBay and PayPal's part, but I shouldn't have to pay more than the auction amount, I am already losing the sales money and have spent hours of my own time trying to resolve this. 

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 12:49:38 PM »
Ebay and Paypal need to do something about their horrendous customer service. I hope things work out to everyone's satisfaction Foal Patrol.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 12:52:10 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 01:44:29 PM »
Hopefully Ebay/Paypal can settle all this because as you say, it should be simple.  You refunded the amount in NZD.  It's not your problem that she had her bank convert funds to Russian RUB and naturally the exchange rate did NOT come out in her favor...  They are different currencies!  *shakes my head*
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 02:07:12 PM »
Since you sent your item to Russia (I see the currency was in rubles), did the buyer even allow enough time for the item to arrive before filing a claim? I know that it can take months for items from the U.S. to arrive there so I can only imagine it will take as long to arrive. I will bet that they still get the item in the mail and they are jumping the gun on this demanding a refund.

At this point you probably just want to be done with this. So let's hope you can do just that if eBay steps in.

Offline foalpatrol

• Hello, Clarice
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 03:22:50 PM »
Since you sent your item to Russia (I see the currency was in rubles), did the buyer even allow enough time for the item to arrive before filing a claim? I know that it can take months for items from the U.S. to arrive there so I can only imagine it will take as long to arrive. I will bet that they still get the item in the mail and they are jumping the gun on this demanding a refund.

At this point you probably just want to be done with this. So let's hope you can do just that if eBay steps in.

It's been almost two months.  Items have taken up to six weeks in the past, I've posted to Russia several times.  I expect it could still arrive but has been delayed by the holiday period.

But yes, at this point I am over it and would just like the case closed and my fees refunded.

I have sent a statement of events in response to the buyer's message, heavily abridged due to the 1000 character restriction.  I am expecting her to ask eBay to step in later today.   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal