collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Seller over charge on shipping and wont refund! Ebay!  (Read 3017 times)

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
Seller over charge on shipping and wont refund! Ebay!
« on: December 30, 2017, 04:56:52 PM »
I made an offer on a lot of G1 ponies on ebay. The seller is scottcomputers802.
They took my offer and said they would send the ponies the very next morning. I waited three days and nothing no tracking at all. I message they seller and they said they were sorry. They forgot about the ponies and they were sitting in the back of there car. I thought ok that is fine its the holidays no big deal. They also put in three extra ponies in the box for free.
Well I got the box today and they were there crammed into the box. They sat in the cold so there legs are all bent and the winger thank the lord did not break her wings!
I understand about it but they could of used a bigger box due the top of the box being pushed upright. I had to be very careful cutting it open. I took the ponies out one by one.
I went to go eat dinner and was sitting and thinking about the cost of the shipping on the box. It said shipping was $11.95 on the box and they charged me $25 for shipping! That is over $13 charge on shipping!!!! I am ok with a few dollars over but not that much! That is the cost for another box of ponies shipped!
So I went to the computer and sent the seller a message about the over charge on the shipping. I asked if they would be able to refund me back $10 and keep the extra $3. They message me back and said no! They said "I feel that its not fair to ask for money back!!!" What!!!!! Are you kidding me!!! I have refunded many people back when I have over charged them on shipping.  They said " How would you feel if I under charged you and asked for more money?" Well I have under charged before and just bit the bullet and lost that extra on the item that I sold.  They also feel that they took a lower price with the make an offer that they should be able to keep the extra! If you want to do that kind of stuff to people then don't offer " Make an offer" then. I left them feedback for the hole deal. Don't buy from them! Why do I keep buying and selling to horrible people! :(

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
Re: Seller over charge on shipping and wont refund! Ebay!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 08:34:19 PM »
Did you contact Ebay?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 03:45:53 AM »
While it does seem like a crazy amount of overage on shipping I'm in the opinion if you don't like the shipping cost don't buy it. 
I pass on auction all of the time due to shipping.  It sucks that your seller crammed them into a small box.  You should leave feedback that reflects.  That being said you can report the seller to ebay for excessive shipping costs if you feel the need to.  I've never done this so I don't know if ebay will help refund some of the cost or tell you to ship it back to the buyer for a refund.

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 05:39:55 AM »
While it does seem like a crazy amount of overage on shipping I'm in the opinion if you don't like the shipping cost don't buy it. 
I pass on auction all of the time due to shipping.  It sucks that your seller crammed them into a small box.  You should leave feedback that reflects.  That being said you can report the seller to ebay for excessive shipping costs if you feel the need to.  I've never done this so I don't know if ebay will help refund some of the cost or tell you to ship it back to the buyer for a refund.

I agree with this. If you don't like the excessive shipping costs, then don't buy. I don't. Some sellers think they can trick their buyers with it. Buyers may feel they are getting this huge deal with this low-cost product and then only see the shipping costs after they buy. I always factor in shipping when buying something. It saves me the pain in the end.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 01:00:41 PM by bluerose9978 »

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 11:27:28 AM »
I left them the correct feedback!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 11:32:45 AM »
I guess my feeling is that you agreed to spend what you agreed to spend on an item, so why does it matter who is getting what portion of your money?

The items being ill packed is something else, the seller shouldn't send items in a way where they risk damage.  If any of your items were damaged (like the bent legs), I would definitely address that with the seller.  You can file a SNAD (significantly not as described item) over that if necessary.

However, I also don't think it's fair to penalize a seller for damage that COULD have happened but didn't (the winger's wings were intact);  in cases like those I just alert them that their packing needs improvement, so they won't damage other people's ponies in the future.

In this case it's a little tricky because your seller did throw in extra ponies, which was nice . . .  Are the ponies' legs still bent?  If so take pictures of them and sent them to the seller and see what they say.

Do NOT threaten to give him negative feedback at any point (especially not "give me a refund or you get a negative") because that is considered feedback extortion and eBay will 100% side with the seller over you if you do it.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 12:56:36 PM »
In all auctions the shipping is clearly visible.  If the shipping seems high then pass that auction on and look for another one.  If a person bids on any auction they agree to pay the shipping costs even if it turns out to be less than what they paid.  I am of the opinion that even as annoying as this is, it isn't fair to leave bad feedback over shipping costs. Poor packing is another story and it is helpful to add a picture of damage caused by poor packing when writing the seller to let them know about the problem.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 02:37:02 PM »
I think the problem is that she knew the shipping was $25, she happily paid it, expecting a decently packaged box, and then... this box full of smashed bent up ponies (one of whom is FRAGILE) arrives, with the postage clearly saying $11.95.  :(  I think this is not good of the seller if they shipped it out cheaper than what they charged the buyer for shipping.    Yes sometimes you eat the loss as a seller if you underweighed the box, but you don't go the other way around.  You build your profit into your base pricing.  :( 

But yeah, you can't mention feedback in your communication to the seller at all.  Just stick to the facts of the transaction.

My pet peeve is when I pay for Priority Express with insurance and tracking and then the seller sends it First Class because we get free tracking within Canada, so that should be "good enough" right?  Noooooooo if I paid for Priority Express, I want you to use that service to ship my item!  Then they wonder why their feedback says, "item bought by collector: at payment, all requests to protect said collectible were ignored"
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 02:41:11 PM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 08:06:12 PM »
^^ THIS. Yes, they agreed to the shipping price, because that sounded appropriate for an adequately packaged box, more so when they threw extra in.

When the item arrives, they skimped out of the shipping method (much smaller box, items crammed in) to save themselves the money and pocket the extra (what they should have spent). This irks me so much. I agree to a shipping price, yes. But I expect it to be shipped in a way that reflects that value!! If it's free shipping, and it's crammed in, well my bad. But if I pay what should be a large box with room for my items, then that's what I expect to arrive. Obvious shipping overages, yes, I'll avoid them like the plague. But when something sounds reasonable, I expect it to be shipped properly - and that to me is a much bigger deception.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 10:35:02 PM »
I agree with the two posters above me.

If it were just a simple case of the seller overcharging on shipping and the buyer agreeing and then regretting the amount paid afterward, that's one thing. But there was enough paid to give the expectation that the items would be sufficiently packaged so as not to damage or risk damaging them, and the seller neglected to do that. This is a failure on the seller's part. Had the buyer not already left feedback, I'd say this would warrant a case through Ebay.

Offline tulagirl

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 02:41:58 PM »
Perhaps a case should be opened about the poor packaging and the damage it caused the ponies.  Be sure to add photos of the bent up ponies.  Shipping cost alone there isn't much you can do really since ebay will say that the cost was there at time of bidding, but they should side with you if these were damaged due to poor packing, but you may have to return all of them.  I do understand your point, I just know how ebay sees things and it has to be something that they will see.  Damage is certainly something that can be brought up and something done about.  Hopefully you didn't mention feedback and the previous emails you sent about shipping may be mentioned.  Good luck.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 04:03:13 PM »
Yet another vote for 'it's not that they charged that much for shipping (as advertised) but that they clearly didn't spend it ON shipping, and the item suffered in transit as a result.'

When you pay a premium on postage costs it's reasonable to expect that money goes to adequately protecting what you just bought and it being delivered by the service/time frame specified, NOT to line the seller's pockets with extra profit. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline tulagirl

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 08:11:16 AM »
Yet another vote for 'it's not that they charged that much for shipping (as advertised) but that they clearly didn't spend it ON shipping, and the item suffered in transit as a result.'

When you pay a premium on postage costs it's reasonable to expect that money goes to adequately protecting what you just bought and it being delivered by the service/time frame specified, NOT to line the seller's pockets with extra profit. 

Sadly, this is not the case.  The days for expecting sellers to pack your item well with the cost overage on shipping is a thing of the past with many auctions.  Now it appears that ebay doesn't care about shipping costs in general.  Sellers are inflating the shipping prices on a lot of auctions to cover ebay/paypal fees and handling costs.  So, if you don't see the money going into the packing of your item then most likely they inflated the shipping to cover their fees and gas to take your package. Plus, they may just be wanting to make a little more on the item since they had to start it lower than they wanted to.  I am seeing this a lot.  All you can do is open a case about poorly packed items causing damage and that the ponies did not arrive to you as described. You can't open a case about high shipping and the shipping cost not matching what you paid anymore.  They won't care a hill of beans about that one.  It use to be a rule that shipping could not be inflated, but that no longer exists.  So, I totally get what the problem is here, but I keep trying to mention this because, if the op wants a refund they will have to go another route to get it that doesn't mention the shipping costs.  It will have to be about items being poorly packaged and damaged and a full refund is possible in that case upon the return of damaged goods.  I totally agree that this kind of behavior on the part of sellers is wrong, but it isn't going to matter anymore to ebay since they get their fees from the shipping, the and the end price.  It is quite frustrating and seems wrong business practice, but it just is what it is.

In the past 4 months I have received several package with major shipping overages and the worst packing job I have ever seen.  When ebay lifted this rule they opened the door for sellers to charge more and ship for less.  It is just another sad evolution of this company.  So, when I bid now, I really look at that shipping rate. I look at feedback and what people have said about their packing if they did mention it.  I determine if the shipping cost is fair and assume it has nothing to do with packing.  I am trying to avoid these types of sellers now and it isn't hard to find them.  I saw just the other day an item with a low starting price and a 40.00 shipping cost.  Well, it was easy to see there that the shipping was to help get more money for the item, what the seller feels is a fair price. I guess they are hoping you won't notice the shipping until you have agreed to pay it.  Then if you don't you are a non paying bidder.  It's just awful.  The same holds true for these sellers that are not willing to combine shipping for multiple purchases. What reason would a seller have for not being willing to combine shipping costs?  One would be that the items are not in their possession, but another would be to get extra money off of a lower cost starting bid auction.  Just a thought I have had.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 08:25:14 AM by tulagirl »

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 08:39:21 AM »
Tula, you are right, which is why I always encourage highly detailed feedback that tells the next person who comes along, how this transaction will go. 

If I read in the feedback that the seller charged $25 for shipping, but only paid $12 themselves, I am closing that tab and moving onto another seller. 

If people don't include details like this in feedback, sellers continue to behave in this manner without any incentive to do differently.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 11:36:34 AM »
  So, if you don't see the money going into the packing of your item then most likely they inflated the shipping to cover their fees and gas to take your package.

In which case sellers open themselves up to the danger of items being damaged in transit, which eBay *does* care about.  You don't end up coming out ahead by doing a crappy job of packing, s'all I'm saying.  It's to both parties benefit to ship well.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal